Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 97

Thread: Judges for 2013 ISU Championships

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,566
    Even if there are no RUS judges in Sochi, I'm sure there will be plenty of BLR, UKR, UZB, EST, AZE, KAZ, etc. etc. etc.

  2. #17
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Even if there are no RUS judges in Sochi, I'm sure there will be plenty of BLR, UKR, UZB, EST, AZE, KAZ, etc. etc. etc.



    Nice to hear a response from a fan who knows the "deal" when it comes to fairness and the "politics" of figure skating.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Even if there are no RUS judges in Sochi, I'm sure there will be plenty of BLR, UKR, UZB, EST, AZE, KAZ, etc. etc. etc.
    Chuckm - this post deserves a +1...

  4. #19
    Huge Scott Moir Fan Macassar88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by heyhey View Post
    Chuckm - this post deserves a +1...
    Russian judge gives a -3

  5. #20
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Russian judge gives a -3
    All judges give -3, because Alla Piseeva, the Russian judge, is now on the tech panel.

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Russian judge gives a -3
    Macassar88- you owe me a keyboard, LOL...obviously block-judging goes both ways but for Sochi, I see it tipping to the East....and seriously how did Alla Piseeva end up on the tech panel...oieee...

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,499
    There is a big difference between how the Tech Panel and the judges function. Judges have subjective leeway, though ISU has been issuing more and more bullets points on how GOEs should be rewarded. But basically, judges make qualitative (subjective) calls on executions of elements and components on the performance. The Tech Panel do keen observation of specific verifiable aspects of the execution of elements. There may be occasional fine lines but mostly such calls are either yes and no or counting of numbers, aided by video recording if necessary, i.e. mostly quantitative/objective and almost black and white with occasional grey areas. A tech panelist making errors or questionable calls will not be keeping his/her job for long.

  8. #23
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    A tech panelist making errors or questionable calls will not be keeping his/her job for long.
    Just curious - I remember reading ISU reviews every event back at headquarters and judges or tech panel members who seem off will be warned and if necessary dismissed.

    Do you - or does anyone at GS have the list of judges and tech panel members who have been dismissed from ISU events due to bad or questionable marks or calls?

    Or is this kept as anonymous as the judges scores?

    I can't ever recall reading about an ISU judge/tech specialist getting suspended in the CoP era.

    AFAIK ISU consisders every mark and call in the CoP era to be fine.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-11-2012 at 05:26 AM.

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Let's take a few random technical panel members, Judy Blumberg (USA), Maurizio Margaglio (ITA, but runs the FIN program), Mrs. Piseev (RUS) & Shae Zukowski (CAN)

    All of them get paid to coach. Some of them get paid to choreograph. If some of their students are skating, how is it possible that they are not in a conflict of interest? And worse, is it not, when there are only 3 members of a panel. And the ISU does not give them a yearly stipend. They live on their coaching/choreographying/TV commentating/Finnish program running businesses, not on the ISU dime.

    More, all of them will have their tastes and ideas influenced by the countries they grew up in, that they live in, and that they trained in. This is great when you have a sizable judging panel, but one does not have to postulate any crookedness to see that 3 is too few on a panel, given how wide a world this is, even in the small world of skating.
    All ISU Tech Controllers are Judges. Don't think they can coach/choreograph. (Not sure about all Federation Controllers) Tech specialists are all former skaters but cannot judge - (unless they actually become a judge) a distinction with a (perhaps slight) difference.

  10. #25
    Huge Scott Moir Fan Macassar88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by heyhey View Post
    Macassar88- you owe me a keyboard, LOL...obviously block-judging goes both ways but for Sochi, I see it tipping to the East....and seriously how did Alla Piseeva end up on the tech panel...oieee...
    Okay I get that you thought it was funny, but why do I owe you a keyboard?

  11. #26
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Okay I get that you thought it was funny, but why do I owe you a keyboard?
    probably because they were having a beverage while reading and it ended up spewed across the keyboard

  12. #27
    Huge Scott Moir Fan Macassar88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    probably because they were having a beverage while reading and it ended up spewed across the keyboard
    Ah that makes more sense. My first thought went to head banging on keyboard repeatedly.

  13. #28
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,323
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Do you - or does anyone at GS have the list of judges and tech panel members who have been dismissed from ISU events due to bad or questionable marks or calls?
    The ISU does publish every year the list of judges who accrue enough "anomalies' (marks outside the corridor) to be called on the carpet for some sort of discipline. I will try to find the latest such report on the ISU site, but it requires some effort.

    Typically about a dozen or so judges face some sort of reprimand each season and some serve suspensions during which they cannot judge ISU events, combined with retraining.

  14. #29
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The ISU does publish every year the list of judges who accrue enough "anomalies' (marks outside the corridor) to be called on the carpet for some sort of discipline. I will try to find the latest such report on the ISU site, but it requires some effort.

    Typically about a dozen or so judges face some sort of reprimand each season and some serve suspensions during which they cannot judge ISU events, combined with retraining.
    Thanks - but is this like dealing with "state secrets"?
    Why is it so hard to find the information?

  15. #30
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Thanks - but is this like dealing with "state secrets"?
    Why is it so hard to find the information?
    If MM can find it others can, too.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •