Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: Ando out of GP - No coach

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    555

    Ando out of GP - No coach

    Japan's two-time world figure skating champion Miki Ando has pulled out of this year's Grand Prix series citing insufficient conditioning after she failed to find a new coach, officials said Tuesday.

    More

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,037
    Poor Ando.....

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,606
    If she really wanted to skate she doesn't need a coach. Hmm...

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,448
    This is very distressing.

  5. #5
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,334
    I am very disappointed!

  6. #6
    Custom Title Butterscotch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    186
    All the hype about her coming back to competition and now this. *Sigh* Poor Miki...I hope she finds a coach and gets everything figured out soon.

  7. #7
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    If she really wanted to skate she doesn't need a coach. Hmm...
    hmmm.......if she really wanted a coach they would be lined up around the block.

    This announcement makes me a little sad - but points to other reasons - which Miki has every right to keep to herself.

    Hope she will be happy - with or without competitive skating.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,124
    All summer I had a feeling this would happen, so I'm really not surprised.
    But how does she go from here... Will she compete at Japanese Nats?

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    190
    Personally I don't think Miki has anything to prove - and if the motivation is not there or if she hasn't found the right training environment - she should go ahead and skate in shows etc. Sometimes I think as fans we forget how lonely figure skating can be for the athletes....

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    All summer I had a feeling this would happen, so I'm really not surprised.
    But how does she go from here... Will she compete at Japanese Nats?
    I'm not surprised either. I'm not sure if Miki really wants this comeback or not. I'm certain any number of high-level coaches would be more than happy to take her on, if she were interested and flexible regarding location.

    Speaking of coaches, what is Yu-Na Kim's coaching situation? Has she hired anyone yet?

  11. #11
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    If she really wanted to skate she doesn't need a coach. Hmm...
    Go the Kwan route? We saw how that worked out for her...

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,037
    I just hope she doesn't feel unwanted and that's what makes me sad mostly for her.

  13. #13
    Custom Title mary01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Go the Kwan route? We saw how that worked out for her...
    well this route worked for Mao, she won her first world title without any couch and even the second was without a couch since tat never was really there to couch Mao, heck she never wasn't even beside her at the most important competitions. so i think that in the end it depends on what kind of skater miki is!

  14. #14
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    If she really wanted to skate she doesn't need a coach. Hmm...
    I disagree. Yes, some skaters have managed to coach themselves to Nats and Worlds medals, but there is a reason why 99.99% of competitive skaters still retain their coaches. It's simply wiser to have a second set of eyes evaluating your training sessions, since you can't watch yourself skate and--as was mentioned by several others--professionals are useful for pointing out the tiny details that could become major slips or falls. If it were a matter of pure ability or self-motivation, as you suggest, then a good majority of the international names would be on their own, but it's much more than that.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    I disagree. Yes, some skaters have managed to coach themselves to Nats and Worlds medals, but there is a reason why 99.99% of competitive skaters still retain their coaches. It's simply wiser to have a second set of eyes evaluating your training sessions, since you can't watch yourself skate and--as was mentioned by several others--professionals are useful for pointing out the tiny details that could become major slips or falls. If it were a matter of pure ability or self-motivation, as you suggest, then a good majority of the international names would be on their own, but it's much more than that.
    I think you are taking my comments out of context - it would be better and or best to have a coach - there is a reason coaches were invented - technique, outside view, different expertise, help guide the ship, saner mind .... but if worse came to worse one could compete with a coach (sort of like P Chan) but it is not the best. Mind you the right coach is important to (P Chan again - modern dance teacher not the best probably without a tech coach)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •