Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ando out of GP - No coach

Custom Title
    After Michelle no coach scares me but Michelle did win Nationals without a coach so there's that. However, I still think a coach is necessary even if it's part time.

You need a set of eyes to correct the little things that become falls at the most inopportune times.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    After Michelle no coach scares me but Michelle did win Nationals without a coach so there's that. However, I still think a coach is necessary even if it's part time.
    Michelle won Nationals because she was head and shoulders above everyone else in so many ways. Her reputation also helped: the judges knew that she was respected by international judges, whereas Sarah and Sasha were still relatively new. By contrast, in Japan Miki is one of several equally talented and experienced skaters. It won't be as easy to win her Nationals, I think, especially if she isn't as motivated to train as Mao and Akiko have clearly been.

And, as you point out, even the best skater needs a coach, even if it's just part time. Remember Michelle's fall in the Olympics? Someone once commented that little irregularities can creep into your skating that only another eye can notice. Maybe if Frank had been putting Michelle through her paces, that unsureness of take-off and/or landing would not have happened.

Custom Title
    I feel so bad for her. She's a wonderful skater and if in her heart she wants to compete then she should be out there, but there must be many other factors at play that we're no privy to.

I wonder what this will mean for her spots in Cup of China and France. It definitely creates some breathing room IMHO at COC. That event will still have Kiira, Mao, Julia and Mirai. France too will be left with Julia, Eliza, and Ashley as "heavy weights" in the field.

I hope it's not crass to be thinking about this already, but I wonder who might benefit from this. My guess would be Kaetlyn Osmand and Mirai Nagasu. Send Kaetlyn to China and Mirai to France. It would be a wonderful experience/opportunity for Kaetlyn to get to travel abroad and compete out of North America on the senior level, and could be a really great chance for Mirai to keep building momentum.

It's not a coach, it's her mental set up. Parting from Morozov caused this.

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey View Post
    Personally I don't think Miki has anything to prove - and if the motivation is not there or if she hasn't found the right training environment - she should go ahead and skate in shows etc. Sometimes I think as fans we forget how lonely figure skating can be for the athletes....
    I agree with this. She's already accomplished a lot, and it never seemed like her heart was in a comeback. I hope whatever she decides for the rest of the season that she can find joy in skating again.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    It's not a coach, it's her mental set up. Parting from Morozov caused this.
    Can't be sure if you are right - but for sure you are more honest than many here who also smell the stench of Morozov but are too timid to admit it.

All her Japanese fans know about it and worry about her. They really love Miki.

Custom Title
    sorry I do agree skaters no matter how good need a coach. Patrick Chan listen up you need a tech coach - go crawling back to Krall! However, things happen and sometimes you have to make lemonade out of lemons including skating without a coach until you find one. Ando might as well have said she didn't have a dress for her freeskate LOL. But I don't understand unless she really wants an Olympic medal why she would come back?? Or needs too? Of course she does have that chance to win a world title and olympic medal. The Russians might find themselves with only two skaters if they can't solve the puberty monster and Leonova can't shock the world a second year. Mao, Suzuki and Murakami are wild cards though the odds are one will win a medal at least if not two. Carolina is know for her luck but that could run out soon too to I could see Ando sneaking in for another medal or title. And we have no idea what shape Yuna is in. People talk the talk but who knows the truth. The truth is on the ice. And ice is slippery...very slippery!!!

Custom Title
    Every time I see this thread, I feel sad. Miki seems to be such a nice person, and she's one of the few ladies' singles skaters around today with muscles (both literal and metaphorical) and a pretty consistent track record, and we can ill afford to lose her. A lot of the ladies today are hopefuls, not-quites, getting-theres, or (and I mean this lovingly) headcases. Of reasonably current skaters, Ando has more World Championships under her belt than anyone but Mao. She's one of the strongest jumpers, and she has become a solid artist. Very upsetting to think that she doesn't have the motivation for this anymore.
    Last edited by Olympia; 10-10-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Custom Title
    I think she may have moved on to shows; she still likes skating and who knows about that Morosov relationship thing. But I don't really understand does she want to compete for herself - she needs to answer that and not worry about JSF or anything or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I think she may have moved on to shows; she still likes skating and who knows about that Morosov relationship thing. But I don't really understand does she want to compete for herself - she needs to answer that and not worry about JSF or anything or anyone else.
    As I understand from her site, she doesn't want to "disapper" like this. She will try to come back next season to compete, and then move on. (This season she is not eligible to enter Nationals, which means no Worlds.)
    Last edited by cinnamon; 10-10-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typo

On the Ice
    Poor Miki. I was really looking forward to seeing her back, mature skaters like her always bring something extra to the competition.

Anyway, hope her the best, and stay as far away from Morozov as possible, he is like bad news.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    As I understand from her site, she doesn't want to "disapper" like this. She will try to come back next season to compete, and then move on. (This season she is not eligible to enter Nationals, which means no Worlds.)
    I dont see her skating in any major or really serious competitions again. She will not want to come back just to miss her Olympic team and come 4th or 6th at Nationals next year. She will likely compete somewhere to end her career but a fluff event like the Japan Open next year to end her career.

Custom Title
    I think Miki has intentions on competing at Sochi - that is Miki's plans and goal, that is the only thing lacking from her resume- an olympic medal - Just needs to find the right group of people around her - Miki to me seems mentally vulnerable and may suffer with depression - she reminds me a bit of Adrian Schultheiss. Miki has time, I would like her to be happy - i don't think it is forced - Miki wants to be at sochi. IF her comeback is derailed she still has the olympic season to prepare.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast