Ando out of GP - No coach | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ando out of GP - No coach

cinnamon

On the Ice
Miki's words:
Being cast in a lot of shows last season, I was thinking of my next stage, after quitting competitive career. I got much more inspiration: I want to perform like this, wanna host the show like that. I guess such new inspiration caught me, therefore I couldn't get motivated for competitions.

"But, next season 2013-14, I hope to give my last skate, showing a competitor Miki ANDO, to my fans. That is confirmed, and promised. I have to be motivated to do that, to skate my heart out, showing my affections."

noskates

Record Breaker
So reading Cinnamon's post and not going back thru the 3 pages prior, is she not competing because she doesn't want to? Or because she doesn't have a coach. It's kind of hard to believe that someone of her calibre can't find one coach in Japan.

cinnamon

On the Ice
So reading Cinnamon's post and not going back thru the 3 pages prior, is she not competing because she doesn't want to? Or because she doesn't have a coach. It's kind of hard to believe that someone of her calibre can't find one coach in Japan.

We can find her words here and there, from different times. Here for example:

Miki: "I'm sure that the next season 2013-14 is going to be my last competitive season. I hope to perform in competition again, no matter what level of competition I would be in. I would like to give my best effort, showing what I have done so far - 100%."

I hope my fans can have the moment with my proud performance, in my last competition - it would have been these GPS. My fans should deserve it, as they have supported me for such a long time. And I'm not able to do that at this moment (without a matching coach), so I have to skip this whole season 2012-13 unfortunately.

I couldn't prepare for these GPS, because I couldn't reach the matching coach, as I had counted on Nikolai(MOROZOV). In March, he said to me "I wouldn't be available for your coaching next season," he hasn't confirmed that in person, but actually he is unable.

Things have been changed of course from time to time. She is struggling and trying to find a way. In the most recent one it's said that she couldn't find a coach and she couldn't find passion to compete, because she was also exposed to show skating and enjoyed it a lot.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
It's not a coach, it's her mental set up. Parting from Morozov caused this.
If at least one word is true here, then it's just funny. Miki should move on, no guy is worthy of mental suffering. There are a lot of nice men around. What disturbs me in this story is JSF position. Seems like they are not much in a hurry to find a coach for her. I can't believe that there is no coach for Miki, either Japapese or foreign, none whatsoever. If they really wanted her to compete, the would surely find the coach. My guess is they don't want to present three girls in Sochi who will retire after Sochi. At least one girl must be "for the future" presented as some kind of Mao Crown princess. Currently they are promoting Kanako a lot but it's not fixed yet. So, it's quite possible that we won't see Miki in competitions at all. But if let's say someone gets injuried, then JSF find the coach for Miki the same instant I am sure.

cinnamon

On the Ice
If at least one word is true here, then it's just funny. Miki should move on, no guy is worthy of mental suffering. There are a lot of nice men around. What disturbs me in this story is JSF position. Seems like they are not much in a hurry to find a coach for her. I can't believe that there is no coach for Miki, either Japapese or foreign, none whatsoever. If they really wanted her to compete, the would surely find the coach. My guess is they don't want to present three girls in Sochi who will retire after Sochi. At least one girl must be "for the future" presented as some kind of Mao Crown princess. Currently they are promoting Kanako a lot but it's not fixed yet. So, it's quite possible that we won't see Miki in competitions at all. But if let's say someone gets injuried, then JSF find the coach for Miki the same instant I am sure.
Actually this spring they needed to ask Miki to sign for GP. Miki said somewhere she didn't have time to think about it but sign the contract in May. This is not the Olympic year yet, so they need her for the case of someone's injury as you have said. It is strange they seem like not helping her in finding a coach. On the other hand she is not a young girl. They can't really force her. She looks like dipressed all the time during the summer (from pictures). And her fans are worried every word she writes on web.
Talking about age, Akiko is older and is taking year by year. No guarantee she is going to Olympics. Up and comers Japan has Miyahara and more, too.

It just sounds like a sorry situation all around.

Let's Talk, it certainly sounds logical that JSF would want a young up-and-coming skater in the mix at Sochi. But it makes me sad to think of the ramifications of this idea.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Here is an interview with Morozov (I assume taken at SA) where he explains that his refuse to work with Ando is based on personal reasons entirely. He says they had too many things, and their relationships is the reason why he can't work with her anymore. Morozov btw doesn't seem look well, tired or ... : www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVIJFmCotcU :disapp:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Here is an interview with Morozov (I assume taken at SA) where he explains that his refuse to work with Ando is based on personal reasons entirely. He says they had too many things, and their relationships is the reason why he can't work with her anymore. Morozov btw doesn't seem look well, tired or ... : www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVIJFmCotcU :disapp:

Just an unfortunate situation. I can't really blame him for not wanting to coach her if he still has feelings for her. They should have never taken the coach/pupil relationship to a romantic level, and it was his responsibility to make sure that did not happen.

babayaga

On the Ice
I couldn't finish watching. Why on earth this "journalist" or whoever this person is, keeps asking Morozov all these questions? :rolleye:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am surprised Morosov didn't walk out of that weird or odd interview - he was reading the newspaper. Wasn't he married or dating Shaylen Bourne (Sp?). Or was it another skater?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I am surprised Morosov didn't walk out of that weird or odd interview - he was reading the newspaper. Wasn't he married or dating Shaylen Bourne (Sp?). Or was it another skater?

They're divorced now, she remarried a couple (?) years ago. This was all publisized.

Generally we do not speak of skaters'/coaches' personal lives unless it was given out for public knowledge. We do not deal in rumors on GS, we respect their privacy.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
:cry: it is an unfortunate situation. Morozov shouldn't have said anything...certainly the interviewer has no class. If they had a relationship that's their business. All he had to say was that the coaching situation didn't work out and that he wishes he the best, or something along those lines. They are both adults so I don't see the huge problem in their having a mutual relationship but neither of them should feel obliged to air it out to the press.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:cry: it is an unfortunate situation. Morozov shouldn't have said anything...certainly the interviewer has no class. If they had a relationship that's their business. All he had to say was that the coaching situation didn't work out and that he wishes he the best, or something along those lines. They are both adults so I don't see the huge problem in their having a mutual relationship but neither of them should feel obliged to air it out to the press.

I so agree. This "we need to know everything" mentality when it comes to "celebrities" (as a society in general) is too much, IMO.

I so agree. This "we need to know everything" mentality when it comes to "celebrities" (as a society in general) is too much, IMO.

Definitely! I feel bad for celebrities who are publicly asked questions of that nature, and I'm generally repelled by famous people who air their private lives in minute detail. This need to inspect other people's intimate lives is very disturbing. The public's "right to know" should deal with other issues entirely.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That was so awkward to watch! It looks like they interviewed him at his hotel room during Skate America ( I noticed the Hilton Honors laynard). I'm surprised he agreed to it!

And yes Olympia, it's amazing that people want the right to know about people's private lives, but could care less about when government officials and others are not public in the civic arena...

jaylee

Medalist
Just an unfortunate situation. I can't really blame him for not wanting to coach her if he still has feelings for her. They should have never taken the coach/pupil relationship to a romantic level, and it was his responsibility to make sure that did not happen.

Ugh, I can't make myself watch that video. I don't want to throw up.

Personally, I think the responsibility is shared in a situation like this to keep the relationship professional. The power and responsibility doesn't all belong to the coach--actually, Miki as the skater, controls his paycheck. Miki was also an adult when he became her coach, not a naive young kid, so she should have gone into the situation with eyes wide open (and perhaps have known about his romantic history). Had she been a minor, then yes, the responsibility would have all been his to keep the relationship professional. Morosov coached Shizuka and nothing romantic came of that.

ForeverFish

Medalist
If she really wanted to skate she doesn't need a coach. Hmm...

I disagree. Yes, some skaters have managed to coach themselves to Nats and Worlds medals, but there is a reason why 99.99% of competitive skaters still retain their coaches. It's simply wiser to have a second set of eyes evaluating your training sessions, since you can't watch yourself skate and--as was mentioned by several others--professionals are useful for pointing out the tiny details that could become major slips or falls. If it were a matter of pure ability or self-motivation, as you suggest, then a good majority of the international names would be on their own, but it's much more than that.