Potential vs Real Talent | Golden Skate

Potential vs Real Talent

skater'94

Spectator
I hope this is the year that the judges finally wake up and see what kind of talent they have been ignoring, and that they will stop judging the skater based on their potential and what they are capable of doing at the at the worlds for Canada, despite a poor performance at the Canadians. Year after year I have watched skaters win the gold while that person that should win gets slapped with the silver. Case in point, last year Emanual Sandu. He fell twice in his long program, which lack excitement. Jeffery Buttle had an awesome skate. But he did not win. Sandu was reward based on his potential, that he could possibly win the gold at the worlds. Jennifer Robinson, not skate her either, slow without spark, but golden. Joannie Rochette, well skated, a couple bobbles-but she had pep. If anyone out there remembers the Canadian movie "Skate" (1987) where Stu Carmady said "we need to deliever champions and we are going to do it," maybe the judges should try to do that. Let the skaters who derserve it to stand at the top of the podium, and the skaters that are usually ones top, but did not skate well enough to be deserve it be looking up!arial

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
skater'94

It's Skate Canada who decides what skaters go to the worlds. Emanuel had already proven he is capable of landing the quad. Unfortunately, Jeff as wonderful as he is was still struggling with some of his jump technique. I love his skating as well. I hope this year is different and he does win the National title. As for Jennifer, she is the "seasoned" veteran. Joannie is "the new kid on the block" next to Jen. At times, Jennifer has lacked "sparkle" as you pointed out, but she has shown she can "put it all together" when it counts. It would be great if another lady blossoms and takes the baton from Jennifer. The funny thing about Nationals is that even the "veteran" skaters who have done well all season don't always have their best skate at the Nationals. It's a strange phenomenon. Remember Jamie and David? They skated poorly at the Canadians and then they "brought down the house" at the Olympics and the Worlds. The members of Skate Canada have to look at the consistency of the skaters and decide who will represent Canada at the Worlds.

Remember "nothing is written in stone" and anything can happen at a Nationals championships.

Go Jeff and Joannie!!!!!

shine

Record Breaker
For someone who can't even spell Sandhu's name right, you sure are objective. :rolleye:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Shine, I fail to see any connenction between spelling "Sandhu" and opinions on his skating.

skater'94

Spectator
I fail to see how my incorrect spelling of Emanuel Sandhu's name, which seems to have some of you in an uproar, has completely over shadowed the fact that this was an opinion about the unfair judging at the National's. And it is purely my opinion. Whether or not I spelled Emanuel's named correctly is irrelevant, and it was of no intentional disrespect to him.

shine

Record Breaker
Unfair judging, to who? Perhaps people need to learn the difference between stating something as a fact and offering their own opinion.

windspirit

On the Ice
I think it's safe to say that 99% (OK, let's make it 98% ;) ) of what people post on boards is their opinion. Plus, Skater'94 (welcome, btw! :) ) did write it's his/her opinion twice.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Skater94, as I am in the U.S., I did not see Canadian nationals, unfortunately--would have liked to! Anyhow, I remember wondering how on earth a guy could fall TWICE and still be awarded the gold medal supposedly based on superior presentation, especially when the silver medalist apparently delivered a terrific program. After all, it's still a SPORT. I wondered at the time whether the results were manipulated just to give Sandhu the gold, so that he could enter Worlds as national champion, thus giving him more clout with the international judges.:sheesh: :\

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
shine said:
Unfair judging, to who?
For someone who can't even use proper English grammar (it should be "to whom", you sure are objective! (just kidding, of course)

Beenie

Spectator
The marks were not manipulated. The better skater won. Both Emanuel and Jeff continue to improve. Each is wonderful to watch, for different reasons. At present, Emanuel is capable of amazing jumps and very quick, difficult footwork which Jeff can't do yet, with emphasis on the yet. When he can keep it all together, Emanuel is one of the best skaters in the world. Next time you have a chance, carefully watch the skating so you can see how superior it is. This is written by someone who is a very big fan of Jeff's, too, enjoying watching his determination & improvements each year, & especially enjoying his wonderful choreography which makes the most of his abilities so well.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
well, skater'94, it looks like the judges were willing to replace Jen as champion, and not even with the next most likely. It will be interesting to see what happens with the men, although so far, I would agree with their results. Eman belongs in first with Jeff a close 2nd.