Mishin about Plushenko, Gachinski, Tuktamysheva | Golden Skate

Mishin about Plushenko, Gachinski, Tuktamysheva

Country
Russia
Mishin about PLUSHENKO, GACHINSKI, TUKTAMISHEVA

http://fcp-press.ru/interview/p2_articleid/5234 (Russian)

Translation:
Alexey Mishin: Evgeni PLUSHENKO showed in Japan both bright, and dark sides
10 | 10 | 2012 13:39

At command competition Japan Open the Russian skater Evgeni PLUSHENKO skated unsuccessfully. He fell in the end of the program and took only fourth place. However PLUSHENKO's coach Alexey Mishin (on a photo) considers that the program of the skater had many bright paints and perfectly executed jumps. Fall and the crumpled final part are because program not-enough-trained as a whole. Also Alexey Mishin declared to the correspondent FTsP-Press (www.fcp-press.ru) that is dissatisfied with Artur GACHINSKI's performance, and told about plans of one more ward – skater Elizaveta TUKTAMISHEVA.

- How do you estimate Evgeni PLUSHENKO's performance on Japan Open?
- Evgeni's performance can be noted two paints: bright and victorious, and partially dark and negative. On trainings in Japan he showed a brilliant condition and was almost the best among the competitors. He landed with ease quad jumps, and two quads at once that he didn't do since 2005. Landed triple axel. His new manner of behavior on ice was pleasant for everybody. I mean his relationship of the skate with ice. He corresponded to modern rules and spirit of skating more.
During the preparatory period our main attention was given to development of difficult elements that, because of injury, were given him with great difficulty. Now this problem of a technical set of difficult elements is solved.
But we did not work enough on skating all program entirely. Therefore he in two minutes of skating in Japan usually was tired, having crumpled the final part of program. Though started Eugene perfectly, having executed two quad jumps and a 3A. Fatigue in a final part is a reason of his low rplace in table of participants. Mistakes were elementary: falling from the double axel, not up to the end executed rotation and so on.
Evgeni excellently performed the rod moments which we wanted to show. He left about himself very good impression in community of figure skating which apprehended him as one of applicants for entry into the highest elite of world figure skating. If to speak about formal result, it, of course, didn't suit us. And as a whole this trip was very useful because it revealed both positive sides, and negative.

- What will be his next competitions?
- While we decide on dates. We only collected all jumping arsenal in a heap, now it is necessary to make a possibility to execute all elements together. Then we will choose any competition for participation. Probably, it may be one of events of the Cup of Russia or any international event. Now Evgeni is not ready to perform all program entirely, we need to fulfill an endurance component.

- What will you tell by results of Artur GACHINSKI's performance on the Federation Cup in Sochi?
- I am dissatisfied with its performance on this competition. The end of the past season and the beginning of this season are not good for Artur. He can't show result as good as he is capable. I believe, it is because of personal circumstances of the athlete. To speak in the past tense about the athlete who was the third in the Worlds and the second in the European championship, prematurely. He has now such a period which he will endure and leaves on level which corresponds to his endowments and talent.

- Will Elizaveta TUKTAMISHEVA be at the Canadian Event of the Grand Prix?
- Yes, she will go to Canada. On October 20 we together with Liza and Artur take off for Canada where we will have small training campg. And we will take place on October 26 and 27 on the Grand Prix.

- Will the result of this competitinon be important?
- Only the coach who dissembles, can tell that it the result doesn't interest. The result is always important. Our goal - to earn a podium.

Dmitry Rachitsky. Photo Maxim Konyaev, PR+Sport agency

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist
That worries me that Mishin will be happy with Liza only getting on the podium considering that she's defending champ. I know she's been dealing with puberty and injuries, and I really hope that she can defend her title. It would do wonders for her confidence, and I feel like her jump technique is the best out there, so she hopefully has a better shot at dealing with growing pains.

janetfan

Match Penalty
That worries me that Mishin will be happy with Liza only getting on the podium considering that she's defending champ. I know she's been dealing with puberty and injuries, and I really hope that she can defend her title. It would do wonders for her confidence, and I feel like her jump technique is the best out there, so she hopefully has a better shot at dealing with growing pains.

Mishin's comments rarely seem to make much sense to me. I thought Plushy cleary showed his age at the JO and his program left alot to be desired - and I am trying to be nice when I say that :)

As to Liza......I guess we have to wait and see how she skates. I think USA fans have seen little phenoms come and go for years now.
In Russia it seems to be new.

Irina is the only Russian lady I ever saw hit the scene at a young age and actually have a long career.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I am delighted to see Liza in Skate Canada, at least I hope she has confidence, I don't expect a clean skate from her considering she just recovered from an injury
as for Artur, he is always hot and cold skater, he has no mental toughness at all which is surprising since he is exposed to Plushenko a lot

we will know tommorow Liza's status, she will compete in St.Petersburg competition
SP start page: http://fsevents.narod.ru/event/s1213/cup2spb/SEG021.HTM

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Mishin basically said plushenko left a lot to be desired. He didn't say he was great.

Russia has a lot of experience with girl phenoms. It s why mishim was so hesitant with female students. I am including soviet skaters in pairs and singles. Elena v and 1980 olympic silver medalist in pairs- grew so much her career ended. So this is not a new phenomenon because it's been happening in pairs and sometimes in singles but then ladies singles was never a high priority.

Mishim has been talking about personal issues with gachinski since worlds-hope that is resolved because it's certainly lasting a long time.

Last edited:
Country
Russia
As extra info - Artur GACHINSKI's interview
http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/5488.html (Russian)

Translation:
Artur GACHINSKI: still I fly a back, the course from 10 procedures yet didn't end
10.10.2012 16:42:01 | Figure skating | News

The bronze medal-winner of the Worlds-2011 Arthur Gachinsky continues back plan of treatment. Problems with health became the reason not absolutely successful performance of Alexey Mishin's skater on recent "Federation Cup" in Sochi where he took the third place. Artur GACHINSKI told about it to TEAM RUSSIA-2014 portal.

«The main task which we with my coach Alexey Nikolaevich Mishin, put at test competitions in Sochi is to check and understand, new programs in respect of arrangement of elements are how convenient for me, - Artur GACHINSKI told. – And after performance it became clear that something should be changed. As a matter of fact, over it we now also work. So, by and large, total result "Federation Cup" in Sochi was for me – certainly, is important, but not so. The matter is that I still fly a back. I make a course from 10 procedures, and it yet didn't end. To me made seven procedures, remained three more. I do ultrasound, dirt. Then it will be necessary to see a doctor – I think, doctor will appoint something in addition».

«Nevertheless, problems with a back don't mean that we intend to refuse participation in a Grand Prix series, - Artur GACHINSKI assured. – On October 20 we with Alexey Nikolaevich (Mishin) take off for Canada for participation in the second GP Event which will be on October 16-28 in Windsor».

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mishin basically said plushenko left a lot to be desired. He didn't say he was great.

Russia has a lot of experience with girl phenoms. It s why mishim was so hesitant with female students. I am including soviet skaters in pairs and singles. Elena v and 1980 olympic silver medalist in pairs- grew so much her career ended. So this is not a new phenomenon because it's been happening in pairs and sometimes in singles but then ladies singles was never a high priority.

Mishim has been talking about personal issues with ga hi ski since worlds-hope that is resolved because it's certainly lasting a long time.

Thanks - and I admit alot can be lost in translation. But Plushy "the Swan" - sorry, but I can think of many better ways to showcase his talents.:yes:

No doubt about young Russian Pairs or Ice Dancers - but who are these young single skating phenom girls from the past that made a mark on the world stage?

I remember Irina - but not any others until Adelina and Liza made a big Intl impact the past few seasons.

I am sure there were some who attracted notice in Russia - but I am talking about international impact.

The truth is historically Russian ladies have had little impact on skating. The lack of WC and Olympic medals is not accidental.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I was not disagreeing about the lack of impact of Russian girls singles skaters just bringing up that Russia does have experience in dealing with young girl skaters going through some growth issues even if they were not in singles but in pairs. No OGMs is a measure and only irina came close

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mishin is not praised Plush, he is realist,but he knows what to do.

After Vancouver, I would hope so. Being a good jump coach is not necessarily the same thing as being a good strategist who is familiar with the quirky rules of the CoP.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
After Vancouver, I would hope so. Being a good jump coach is not necessarily the same thing as being a good strategist who is familiar with the quirky rules of the CoP.

Don't believe me -just ask Chan's head coach who is a dancer. The rotated falls and "solo ice dancing moves" can only take a skater so far - not to mention making him unpopular enough that commercial endorsements are more like a dream.

I think, Mishin and Plush( he is already coach) know the whole quirky rules of the CoP. But we don't know their thoughts. This quote from last year.

"- Mishin called you "Shakespeare of figure skating", because Shakespeare described all the known human feelings, and you have shown all of them on the ice. Are there still some "white spots" ?
- That's exactly what is causing a problem. It is difficult to find new image for me. Just for this reason! Incredibly hard, incredibly! We tried the images of a madman, a violinist, Jewish dance ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9gyjnsLeIw (the choreographer is Zhulin, they didn't like it). Though we had them somewhere before too ... But after long creative search, creative pains, joys and big doubts I decided to return to old images, simply modifying them. It is very difficult to rehash Plushenko... But to add new moves, new dance - it is possible."

And finally: El Tango de Roxanne!!! I believe in them. They are working so hard, and they are looking for the best solutions, opportunities. Not easy for an established skater, like Plush.

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist
I think, Mishin and Plush( he is already coach) know the whole quirky rules of the CoP. But we don't know their thoughts. This quote from last year.

"- Mishin called you "Shakespeare of figure skating", because Shakespeare described all the known human feelings, and you have shown all of them on the ice. Are there still some "white spots" ?
- That's exactly what is causing a problem. It is difficult to find new image for me. Just for this reason! Incredibly hard, incredibly! We tried the images of a madman, a violinist, Jewish dance ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9gyjnsLeIw (the choreographer is Zhulin, they didn't like it). Though we had them somewhere before too ... But after long creative search, creative pains, joys and big doubts I decided to return to old images, simply modifying them. It is very difficult to rehash Plushenko... But to add new moves, new dance - it is possible."

And finally: El Tango de Roxanne!!! I believe in them. They are working so hard, and they are looking for the best solutions, opportunities. Not easy for an established skater, like Plush.
Of course they didn't like Zhulin's program. It had transitions in it. :)

lilywang

Rinkside
I wonder how to judge if a coach is a successful coach or strategist or not. The ability to teach good technique? To raise students from obscurity to stardom? Medal count? The love of the audience? Mishin doesn't seem to lack in any of those department. And he can do it with zero transitions! :popcorn:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I wonder how to judge if a coach is a successful coach or strategist or not. The ability to teach good technique? To raise students from obscurity to stardom? Medal count? The love of the audience? Mishin doesn't seem to lack in any of those department. And he can do it with zero transitions! :popcorn:

I guess it depends on how you judge the outcome in the end. I'd argue a a successful coach is capable of pushing more than one to excellence. Mishin has coached two Olympic Gold Medalists (Urmanov, Plushenko). I don't know when he coached Yagudin, but he's probably at least partially responsible for his success as well. And now Gachinski and Tukatmisheva on top of that. So yeah. He's a successful coach. Has anyone asserted otherwise?

Macassar88

Medalist
I guess it depends on how you judge the outcome in the end. I'd argue a a successful coach is capable of pushing more than one to excellence. Mishin has coached two Olympic Gold Medalists (Urmanov, Plushenko). I don't know when he coached Yagudin, but he's probably at least partially responsible for his success as well. And now Gachinski and Tukatmisheva on top of that. So yeah. He's a successful coach. Has anyone asserted otherwise?

He gives his students amazing jump technique - Yags and TAT have both stated that she wasn't allowed to touch his technique at all (thank god...).
But now, the PCS are more important since back in COP, you needed amazing jumps and presence/charisma and you were fine.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Maybe gachanski should focus more on these personal issues mishin is talking about- unless skating is a distraction- but the results are poor.

ForeverFish

Medalist
We all know that Mishin will be pushing Tukta harder than ever after her disappointing fourth-place finish at Skate Canada. I think he was hoping for a repeat championship, and she didn't even make the podium...

I understand that she needs to get ready for TEB, but I hope he cuts her a break especially with the stress of puberty and a changing body already weighing on her. At any rate, she'll need to be pretty exemplary to make the GPF at this point.