Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lysacek out, Mahbanoozadeh in

Custom Title
    Confession: didn't read the article. But, I hate to hear this - injuries, while a constant for athletes, are really hard when your are 'older' in your sport and/or trying to make a come-back and Evan is both or doing both. I, personally, doubt he would make a huge announcement during the summer Olympics without meaning it. But who knows, for now I just wish Evan a very speedy recovery. And, I admire even more than I did before reading this what's at stake and what it takes for all the 'come-back kids.'

That said, I'm really so, so thrilled for Armin and cannot wait to see him skate!!!!

Custom Title
    Did anyone really expect this guy to go through with it?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I want to give Evan the benfit of the doubt but it does smell a bit. But mind you his return smelled. Who knows what will happen now.
    Well, he was injured after he said yes to SkAm, but before Champs Camp. That injury kept him from his performances there and more than likely it would have been evaluated at that time (or else anyone who didn't want to do their programs or wasn't ready could claim "injury" and not have to). If he tried to come back too soon knowing he needed as much time as possible, he could have reaggravated it.

Frankly, with only one GP, he is ineligible for GP final so it was really about getting a competition in before Nationals. Doing a small competition later would accomplish this and then he will skate at Nationals. There is no point in pushing through an injury if he doesn't have to right now. Until he doesn't show up for this years Nationals, an absolute must in a comeback for Sochi, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Injuries happen.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Did anyone really expect this guy to go through with it?
    Yes, Actually

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan12 View Post
    Yes, Actually
    Even after he pulled the exact same stunt last year at Skate America, and at Nationals?

Even after he pulled the exact same stunt last year at Skate America, and at Nationals?
    no last year it was because of USFSA and Evan couldn't agree to a "contract".

Custom Title
    of course, that makes it totally different

On the Ice
    He got everything squared away that was standing in the way last year (contract, competing sponsors, etc.) and committed to a GP and Nationals, attended champs camp, and has apparently done everything the USFSA has asked of him. Why do all that if your intent is never to follow through. He pulled out of Sun Valley and didn't perform at Champs Camp because of a groin injury, when he was skating by all accounts really well before that so yes, I think he intended to do it and still intends to, he is just nursing an injury.

As per my previous post, this GP really only means exposure pre-nationals for him. there is no chance of a GP final so if he can accomplish that with a smaller comp later once healed, then why not? There is no point in skating injured here and risking Nationals in January.

I had a feeling something like this would happen, can't say I'm surprised by the news, just maybe slightly disappointed. The disappointment won't last long, though, because I can't wait to see Armin skate But really, it makes me wonder if Evan is ever going to come back. He's pulled out of SA twice now. He keeps announcing he's coming back, and then not showing. People doubted Johnny's comeback, but Johnny is out there competing, and Evan is not. Best of luck to Evan, but next time he says he's going come back, I won't believe it until he's out on the competition ice.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    no last year it was because of USFSA and Evan couldn't agree to a "contract".
    I attempted to explain using this thing called logic, but I have a feeling that unless brightphoton gets Evan's medical records confirming the injury, or god forbid confirm the injury himself (or herself) (s)he'll continue to think its a lie to not follow through with his comeback under the deceptive guise of injury

Custom Title
    What happened this year was the same thing that happened last year. Evan got too fat and didn't want to lose face at competition. He just has a different excuse this time.

On the Ice
    What happened this year was the same thing that happened last year. Evan got too fat and didn't want to lose face at competition. He just has a different excuse this time.
    Right....because when that happens, you jump on a plane and announce your comeback to millions of people on live TV during the Summer Olympics. It all makes sense now. Evil genius, he is

Custom Title
    It a very good plan, if you can pull it off correctly. Shawn Johnson rolled in millions in endorsements, her book deal, commercials for TV shows, and Dancing with the Stars, all while announcing her comeback for the 2012 Olympics, despite doing very minimal gymnastics between Beijing and London.

Evan on the other hand ...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan12 View Post
    Right....because when that happens, you jump on a plane and announce your comeback to millions of people on live TV during the Summer Olympics. It all makes sense now. Evil genius, he is
    Actually that is basically what Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin spent 4 years doing and pulled off masterfully, scamming tons of money in the result. Well Shawn did return to do 3 events at one Nationals and a couple tiny events, abandoning her comeback before the obvious of missing the Olympic team. Nastia meanwhile returned to deliver a couple crummy bar routines and to retire again. Essentialy all Evan is doing with his fake comeback (except probably without even the token appearances of Shawn and Nastia), except now nearly as wisely and not raking in nearly the money from it they did, in fact in his case losing it more likely.

On the Ice
    It a very good plan, if you can pull it off correctly. Shawn Johnson rolled in millions in endorsements, her book deal, commercials for TV shows, and Dancing with the Stars, all while announcing her comeback for the 2012 Olympics, despite doing very minimal gymnastics between Beijing and London.

Evan on the other hand ...
    Touche

I still think this years Nationals is the key. If he doesn't make these, stick a fork in him, he's done. But SkAm means so little in the grand scheme of Sochi that I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. You (and others) do not, and thus think he will never set foot on competition ice again. Until we see at Nationals, this really is a neverending circular argument

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast