Lysacek out, Mahbanoozadeh in | Golden Skate

Lysacek out, Mahbanoozadeh in

This makes me appreciate even more Johnny Weir. Although I'm certainly not a fan of Johnny's personality I have to admire his guts. He does not only stand by what he said, he even showed up at a Senior B!

I wonder if Lysaceks body can't take all the training anymore? If yes, shouldn't he have found out already - given that he already trained competitively for a year. Than he shouldn't have accepted Skate America and not announced his comeback.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Is this really that shocking? Either from a - he wasn't serious about it, or the guy's pretty injury prone...

still, what a shame... good thing NBC hasn't been gung ho about promoting the event on tv, much less using his face... like last year... :-/ :sarcasm:

SkateFan66

On the Ice
I wonder if Lysaceks body can't take all the training anymore? If yes, shouldn't he have found out already - given that he already trained competitively for a year. Than he shouldn't have accepted Skate America and not announced his comeback.

In all fairness, Lysacek sustained the groin injury AFTER he accepted the assignment to Skate America. I saw Lysacek skate at Ice Chips in April and he skated great. Injuries in skating happen all the time. He sustained the groin injury a few days prior to his scheduled August Sun Valley performance. Groin injuries require time to heal and can become a chronic injury if not treated properly. If Lysacek's long term goal is to compete for a spot on the 2014 Olympic team, it is best that he not try to skate competitively until the injury heals completely. I have seen too many athletes try to compete with groin injuries, with the end result being aggravating the injury to the point of needing surgery.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
randy gardner tried to play through a groin injury, and it forced a withdraw at the OWG. So I understand why Evan pulled out, I'm just not sure we'll ever see him compete.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I want to give Evan the benfit of the doubt but it does smell a bit. But mind you his return smelled. Who knows what will happen now.

After all the announcements recently, with this one injured and that one canceling, my head is in a level 4 spin. I have visions of YouTube videos of Skate America with just music playing and no one on the ice.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
This makes me appreciate even more Johnny Weir. Although I'm certainly not a fan of Johnny's personality I have to admire his guts. He does not only stand by what he said, he even showed up at a Senior B!

I will put it bluntly. I dont think any of Lysacek, Ando, or Plushenko are willing to go through with their comebacks all the way. Evan will keep stalling with excuses or injury, probably not coming back at all. Plushenko will keep competing at events like Europeans, Russian Nationals, or Cup of Russia only, may compete at the Sochi Olympics and be willing to chance a mediocre showing there, but wont compete at a Worlds. Ando will compete at some fluff event as her swang song sometime in the next year.

Weir is the only one who will go through with his comeback full tilt. I predict it will not be particularly frutiful, and he will never make a U.S World or Olympic team again, and be retired again in a year or two, but I think he will go through and try all he can, including competing anywhere he can. Unlike those others he has nothing to lose, nobody expects him to do well, and in a sense that puts him in a nicer position, he can just try his best with no pressure. Those others were last seen on top, and all deep down know immense failure relative to their last top successes are likely, so each will keep dipping their toes in but no more. It is mostly about staying in the news and endorsement money for them anyway I beileve.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Had Evan competed at Skate American and even came 3rd behind Hanyu and Abbott (or heaven forbid lower) that would already be seen as a failure by people including the naive U.S public, some who probably think he is still the best since he won the Olympics (lol) so I understand his being tepid to compete even in something like this, injury or not.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Phil Hersh advances the story: quotes from Lysacek + additional reporting

Injured Lysacek out of Skate America
"Maybe I pushed too hard, too soon"
By Philip Hersh, Tribune reporter
8:24 p.m. CDT, October 10, 2012
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...out-of-skate-america-20121010,0,7288085.story

Hersh has quotes from Lysacek re his withdrawal from SA.

And Hersh reports:
"His first planned event after Skate America is to be the U.S. Championships in January, but it is possible Lysacek may now compete in a minor (non-Grand Prix) international event this fall.
Among those under consideration are the NRW Trophy in Dortmund, Germany, Dec. 5-9 and the Golden Spin of Zagreb in Zagreb, Croatia Dec. 13-16."

ETA:

And per one of USFSA's tweets announcing the withdrawal, the media will hear more from Lysacek tomorrow:
U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating
We will have a comment from Evan Lysacek tomorrow after his pre-Skate America event conference call.
3:13 PM - 10 Oct 12​

Best wishes to Mahbanoozadeh!​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
randy gardner tried to play through a groin injury, and it forced a withdraw at the OWG. So I understand why Evan pulled out, I'm just not sure we'll ever see him compete.

Randy Gardner ‏@theRandyGardner
@olyphil Good luck to Evan L. Not an easy road ahead that he has chosen.
6:48 PM - 10 Oct 12

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Certainly wish Lysacek a speedy recovery. I hope there won't be another formal comeback announcement before Nationals.

emma

Record Breaker
Confession: didn't read the article. But, I hate to hear this - injuries, while a constant for athletes, are really hard when your are 'older' in your sport and/or trying to make a come-back and Evan is both or doing both. I, personally, doubt he would make a huge announcement during the summer Olympics without meaning it. But who knows, for now I just wish Evan a very speedy recovery. And, I admire even more than I did before reading this what's at stake and what it takes for all the 'come-back kids.'

That said, I'm really so, so thrilled for Armin and cannot wait to see him skate!!!!

skatefan12

Rinkside
I want to give Evan the benfit of the doubt but it does smell a bit. But mind you his return smelled. Who knows what will happen now.

Well, he was injured after he said yes to SkAm, but before Champs Camp. That injury kept him from his performances there and more than likely it would have been evaluated at that time (or else anyone who didn't want to do their programs or wasn't ready could claim "injury" and not have to). If he tried to come back too soon knowing he needed as much time as possible, he could have reaggravated it.

Frankly, with only one GP, he is ineligible for GP final so it was really about getting a competition in before Nationals. Doing a small competition later would accomplish this and then he will skate at Nationals. There is no point in pushing through an injury if he doesn't have to right now. Until he doesn't show up for this years Nationals, an absolute must in a comeback for Sochi, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Injuries happen.