Lysacek out, Mahbanoozadeh in | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lysacek out, Mahbanoozadeh in

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm sure Evan is injured. The question is for me: Why Armin? I think Joshua would be better!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
With all these comebacks falling short, I wonder if Yuna Kim is going to face an "injury" too. At any rate, this season of skaters even without the comebacks is worth watching.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Except Nastia couldnt do it so your point is moot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1JcXEim40g&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPoSwVjM-m4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbEap4ms_BY&feature=relmfu

Like I said, just a token appearance to do a few crummy bar routines, wave goodbye, and keep the illusion of the "comeback" that earned her so much money to the very end, and seem half legit by making a token appearance at long last, LOL!

She did every single skill from that Olympic bar routine. Note that she missed different skills in different routines, but did them all at some point. She had to have been training to do that as all of those skills take tremendous strength and conditioning to do. What she didn't have was the muscular endurance which can only be gained from doing actual routines back to back, and she wasn't able to do that much because she injured her shoulder in January. I don't think you realize just how incredibly hard those skills are. The release she fell on the final night of trials? That thing was so huge that I am inclined to believe that she overcooked it due to the adrenaline of one final chance to make it. There is no way you can launch yourself that high without training. I do think she should have considered a different dismount as it wasn't the prettiest thing even when she was at her peak, but she kept the one she had because it is highly valued as very difficult- so difficult that most gymnasts wouldn't even try it. If she actually hadn't been training and just made a "pretend" comeback, she wouldn't have been able to do half of that, and her beam routine would've been a mess. As it was, her beam routine was actually harder than the one she did in Beijing. She had more time to train it because it put less stress on her shoulder. Additionally, I doubt someone who was making a comeback for publicity only would dare to show up in competition not feeling 100% due to injury or whatever reason. I gained a ton of respect for her trying, and quite frankly think she could have made it with just a few more weeks of training uninjured. Her beam scores were better than Kyla's, and her bars scores had the potential to be there if she could just put it all together. I'd like to see you try to do any skill in her routine without training.

I get so tired of jaded naysayers who have no concept of what it takes to train and compete at a high level in these sports.

Edit~ I find it very interesting that you chose to link parts of routines to highlight her mistakes and not the full routines.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
She did every single skill from that Olympic bar routine.

Yes that is her dismount she did when she was winning all those World and Olympic medalis, and as for the rest most of them with a major mistakes. Given that she could probably do a bar routine of the quality of those when she was 9, and that a 5 year old could do the dismount she did, I doubt the 14 time Olympic and World medalist had to train much to produce that BS.

Edit~ I find it very interesting that you chose to link parts of routines to highlight her mistakes and not the full routines.

LOL you need your eyes checked. 2 of the 3 links I posted were full routines.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Yes that is her dismount she did when she was winning all those World and Olympic medalis, and as for the rest most of them with a major mistakes. Given that she could probably do a bar routine of the quality of those when she was 9, and that a 5 year old could do the dismount she did, I doubt the 14 time Olympic and World medalist had to train much to produce that BS.

LOL you need your eyes checked. 2 of the 3 links I posted were full routines.

If you think a five year old could do the dismount she did..... Oh, wait, you were referring to the timer and not the actual dismount she did the final night. Even then a five year old is very unlikely to be able to do that! That's a skill that level seven and eight gymnasts learn. Most five year olds are at levels one through five- they aren't even allowed to start competing those higher levels until they're older. Though I'm sure you're trying for hyperbole and not a realistic comparison. As for the double front-half, I'm glad she pulled it if she was uncertain, as it requires more height than most, if not all, other dismounts to avoid landing very badly. Nine year olds don't generally go about copying bar routines that medalled at the previous Olympics......

I might not think she handled the comeback perfectly, but it's hard to plan ahead of time that you'll have to deal with a chronic injury. Hindsight is 20/20. Knowing what she knows now, I'm pretty sure that she would've come back a bit sooner, been very careful about starting those spinning skills on bars without doing a ton of extra conditioning (hyper extension of the shoulder is the probable cause of her injury), and probably trained another dismount. By the time you encounter problems it's usually a little late to change course. As for the decision to come back, it can be very hard to make if you've already checked 90% of your goals off, so I can see why she delayed in committing, even though it was certainly her largest mistake in her comeback.

And I'm done with this conversation. If you want to go on believing what each of these athletes is doing is easy, you go and do that. Just don't try to do what they're doing without training all day every day for a long time because you wouldn't like living in a body cast.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I¨m not surprised about Evan´s withdrawal from SA...., have expected it to happen since reading that he was suffering from an injury. I hope that he will be patient and let the injury heal completely before participating in any competitions. Anyway, better now than in next season!

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Thats what everyone said about Sasha... She too, bailed out of her Grand Prix event. I bet she wishes she could have had the practice before Nationals.I think If he is in condition, he will come back.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating is tweeting quotes and notes from Lysacek's media teleconference this afternoon.

“I am obviously very disappointed that I will not be competing next week as the anticipation was building and I was excited." - Evan Lysacek
2:35 PM - 11 Oct 12

"Things were going very well in my preparations for Skate America.” - Evan Lysacek (Prior to his injury)
2:36 PM - 11 Oct 12

Lysacek re-aggravated an injury to his right groin and was on track to recover for Skate America prior to his setback.
2:37 PM - 11 Oct 12

Lysacek noted that his injury is "not serious" and he hopes to return to the ice soon.
2:38 PM - 11 Oct 12

Lysacek hopes to skate in a competition prior to the 2013 U.S. Championships and will work with U.S. Figure Skating to find an assignment.
2:39 PM - 11 Oct 12​

ETA, tweets from Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford:

ELysacek confirmed on media call he has asked USFS to search for a senior B assignment for him, so he can achieve TES min. score for worlds.
2:46 PM - 11 Oct 12​

Lysacek described his injury as a "re-aggravation" of prior groin pull, not serious or (hopefully) long lasting. Check @icenetwork for more.
2:48 PM - 11 Oct 12​

@mposl He just had call; his doctor said the reaggravation would prevent his competing next wk but it should recover & is not a big setback
2:52 PM - 11 Oct 12​

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree with Waxel. I don't think you can properly train for competition by skating a couple years of Stars on Ice. Sasha wasn't trying to land quads and 3As when she came back!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sure Evan is injured. The question is for me: Why Armin? I think Joshua would be better!

Why not, Armin? He finished 4th on the podium @ US Nationals last season, and earned a bronze medal @ Skate America a few seasons ago. I was surprised that he didn't have a GP assignment prior to this announcement. I do think Joshua has a great future ahead of him (along with Jason Brown).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Why not, Armin? He finished 4th on the podium @ US Nationals last season, and earned a bronze medal @ Skate America a few seasons ago. I was surprised that he didn't have a GP assignment prior to this announcement. I do think Joshua has a great future ahead of him (along with Jason Brown).

I agree. I am thrilled that Armin will be at SA. As for Evan hope he has a speedy recovery.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

I'm sure Joshua has a great future, so I thought that would be good decision from the UFSA, if he comes out in seniors. Jason Brown is very talented, but his level of jumping isn't enough.

SkateFan66

On the Ice

Joshua is competing in the JGP this year, and has already qualified for the JGP final in Sochi. If I recall correctly, a skater cannot compete in both the GP and JGP during the same season.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Joshua is competing in the JGP this year, and has already qualified for the JGP final in Sochi. If I recall correctly, a skater cannot compete in both the GP and JGP during the same season.

You're right! Thanks!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I find it hard to believe everyone says things were going so well until the injury -really or was it you don't want to look like a fool so you need more time? It is hard to believe almost anyone. It is always so positive but surely as many improve or get better there has to be more who drop or develop problems with their skating. or perhaps we should all buy lottery tickets. I just really hope skaters could be happy with what they have. If Evan really wants to skate than great and only he knows his real motives. I hope it isn't ego because Evan has had his great fortune in 2010 and shouldn't push it. It is possible he might not even make the US team though I do believe there will be a lot of people wanting him to go to sochi with his Vera Wang costume of course (LOL).

SGrand

Final Flight
Weird that I just saw a commercial for SA trumpeting Evan's return to it next week etc. You'd have thought they would have changed it :think:

gmyers

Record Breaker
NBC is going to treat it like breaking news in the broadcast like they did with Sasha Cohen or the last withdrawl of Lysacek