Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: What are Mao Asada's chances of becoming Olympic Champion in 2014?

Custom Title
    It depends on a lot of things. If one or more of the top ladies are doing consistent triple-triples, it will be hard for Mao (or anyone else) to win. But COP has made skating so unpredictable. Clean programs are rarity. There is so much potential for skaters to make mistakes that Mao can't be counted out, if she is the one skater to skate two clean programs. She needs to forget about the triple axel. She can do just as well with a double axel-triple toe as she can with her under-rotated or two-footed triple axel.
    Last edited by jenaj; 10-15-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Thank you samson for your beautiful post! You expressed exactly my feelings at the moment about ladies figure skating!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    There was an improvement last season, she only missed the podium once at worlds. Maybe this season she won't miss it
    Hasn't she missed the World podium 2X in a row now?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Hasn't she missed the World podium 2X in a row now?
    I think Mirunna was talking only about last season - out of all the competitions Mao took part in last season she only missed the podium once - at worlds. Overall, a noticeable improvement on her performance the year before.

Custom Title
    Mao for all her accomplishments hasn't exactly been stellar when it comes to Worlds. In fact she's miss the podium three of the last four years which for someone of her talent is actually surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Mao for all her accomplishments hasn't exactly been stellar when it comes to Worlds. In fact she's miss the podium three of the last four years which for someone of her talent is actually surprising.
    her not having a stellar showing at worlds is more then understandable, after all she has been through the last to seasons, having a stellar showing would kind of be inhuman if you ask me, cause no matter how talented a skater is when sudden tragedies happen, not even the best skater could go on unaffected by it. I can't think of any skater now competing as well as retired who could! her even competing last season was a huge accomplishment, and a huge gift for us fans!

Tripping on the Podium
    Joanie Rochette might beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyk75 View Post
    Joanie Rochette might beg to differ.
    Scott Hamilton, too.

Everyone is of a different emotional makeup and what they can bear. Mao looks beautiful in her LP this year. Joannie is superhuman tough. Most skaters are not like "her mother taught her to be." Scott could never be as tough as Joannie is. Different makeup. He isn't over Sergei Grinkov-nor his parents. Marrying finally and having kids was his salvation. Lucky Scott-he deserves it. too. It seems dis respectful to Mao and all people to compare how well they skate after family deaths.

I think we were just commenting on the comment that no one could do it - skaters have... it's tough, and yes everyone deals with it differently.

Custom Title
    Yep, Oksana Baiul overcame much death and hardship too. But we all are different. Mao has to be careful; if she slips up it might be not what odds does she win oly gold it mght be will she make the Japanese team! Gulp.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Mao has to be careful; if she slips up it might be not what odds does she win oly gold it mght be will she make the Japanese team! Gulp.
    The one i would be worring about not making the team would either be Akiko or Murakami, knowing Satoko Miyahara very well could replace one of the two by that time!

Please, she's hardly a competition for both Akiko and Kanako, if we are talking about the same skaters. Unless they both do horribly, literally bomb, Satoko doesn't have a shot at outscoring them.

Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Please, she's hardly a competition for both Akiko and Kanako, if we are talking about the same skaters. Unless they both do horribly, literally bomb, Satoko doesn't have a shot at outscoring them.
    I agree, especially considering the < and << she usually receives, but (if puberty and injuries stay away from her) she could be a factor in 2018...

Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    The one i would be worring about not making the team would either be Akiko or Murakami, knowing Satoko Miyahara very well could replace one of the two by that time!
    Suzuki seems to be like a fine wine - getting better with age. I wouldn't be surprised to see her on the podium in Sochi if she skates her best, even if others do as well.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast