What are Mao Asada's chances of becoming Olympic Champion in 2014? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

What are Mao Asada's chances of becoming Olympic Champion in 2014?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Ando was much better at 2011 Worlds than 2010 Olympics IMO. First, her SP in 2011 was way better just as a program, and she racked up more points by doing a 3lz-2lo and 3lo with +GOE there than doing a 3lz-3lo with the loop downgraded to a double with -GOE and a shaky 3f that was borderline UR. Then in the FS, Miki may have landed her jumps in Vancouver, but the quality was not of the usual Miki standard, she got like no GOE for jump elements overall which is like unheard of for her, and she only had one combo in the 2nd half. At 2011 Worlds Miki doubled out on the 2a combo with that step out, but the rest of her jumps were great quality, and 5 jumping passes and 2 combos were in the 2nd half. I'm not saying Miki was outstanding at the 2011 Worlds or anything, but she was pretty "off" in Vancouver despite managing to land her jumps, not only were the jumps not as big or beautiful as usual, but she also was really stone-faced, slow, and cautious in her programs there. Her SP to the Mission in 2011 was really great because she actually emoted to it.

Either way she wasnt winning a medal of any color at the 2010 Olympics with her performances from the 2010 Worlds.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Miki's awful LP in Vancouver was due to lousy program, uncomfortable -had to be, cliche costume, and nerves. She did well with that mess of an LP. Mirai had the better vehicles and no pressure-sadly we have seen her best. She peaked in 2010- Mirai. Miki is done. Morozov gutted that poor lady who can't find a coach. ? Her heart is broken. She has accomplished all but an OM. So what -Browning has none. Miki's current state is sadly due to the dastardly Mr M. I think she will never be back. She has been a great champion who never gets credit for being a lovely skater. People talk like she moves like Irina or Surya. She is beloved in many countries and here on GS, too.

Amazing women...Miki, Mao, Akiko-now that's a team to beat.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Mao chances are slim for OG. But a medal maybe possible if she lands all her jumps. What holding her back is her obbession wither 3A (which she will never able to fully rotate again). Maybe land a < 3A on a good day, which still give her about 3Lz value point wise. But knowing her she will still gamble with 3A, 3F+2Lo and 3Lo in SP for sure. If both Yuna, Kostner (50/50) and Ando (confirmed) don't come back she may have the PCS cushion, but her TES will dig her grave when you compare to smart layout like Tuks from last year.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
Mao Asada has demonstrated tremendous effort in trying to improve her skating to become a consistent champion. Over the past two seasons, and now going to a third, her flaws in her jump techniques and mental inconsistency have not improved that much. The judges and fans are aware of her flaws and unless these change dramatically and quickly and surprise everyone, she will be judged, in part, by reputation. She has developed a reputation as a skater with many flaws in jumping (wrong edges, UR, not mastered all triples) who also crumbles under pressure from time to time.

Her chances are SLIM and NONE. She can win the OGM by default if we have a splatfest a la 1992.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Mao Asada has demonstrated tremendous effort in trying to improve her skating to become a consistent champion. Over the past two seasons, and now going to a third, her flaws in her jump techniques and mental inconsistency have not improved that much. The judges and fans are aware of her flaws and unless these change dramatically and quickly and surprise everyone, she will be judged, in part, by reputation. She has developed a reputation as a skater with many flaws in jumping (wrong edges, UR, not mastered all triples) who also crumbles under pressure from time to time.

Her chances are SLIM and NONE. She can win the OGM by default if we have a splatfest a la 1992.

This is way too much early to predict. If she skates well and improves her jumps she can win. She is not the skater who needs other to implode in order to win even if she skates completely clean. If she is clean, she is a top skater. Considering this, I don't know if we can't quantify her chances. I won't deny she had and still has many problems to deal with(not all related to skating) so I am curious how she'll be skating this season. There was an improvement last season, she only missed the podium once at worlds. Maybe this season she won't miss it :)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It depends on a lot of things. If one or more of the top ladies are doing consistent triple-triples, it will be hard for Mao (or anyone else) to win. But COP has made skating so unpredictable. Clean programs are rarity. There is so much potential for skaters to make mistakes that Mao can't be counted out, if she is the one skater to skate two clean programs. She needs to forget about the triple axel. She can do just as well with a double axel-triple toe as she can with her under-rotated or two-footed triple axel.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Thank you samson for your beautiful post! :agree: You expressed exactly my feelings at the moment about ladies figure skating!

babayaga

On the Ice
Hasn't she missed the World podium 2X in a row now?
I think Mirunna was talking only about last season - out of all the competitions Mao took part in last season she only missed the podium once - at worlds. Overall, a noticeable improvement on her performance the year before.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao for all her accomplishments hasn't exactly been stellar when it comes to Worlds. In fact she's miss the podium three of the last four years which for someone of her talent is actually surprising.

mary01

Final Flight
Mao for all her accomplishments hasn't exactly been stellar when it comes to Worlds. In fact she's miss the podium three of the last four years which for someone of her talent is actually surprising.

her not having a stellar showing at worlds is more then understandable, after all she has been through the last to seasons, having a stellar showing would kind of be inhuman if you ask me, cause no matter how talented a skater is when sudden tragedies happen, not even the best skater could go on unaffected by it. I can't think of any skater now competing as well as retired who could! her even competing last season was a huge accomplishment, and a huge gift for us fans!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Everyone is of a different emotional makeup and what they can bear. Mao looks beautiful in her LP this year. Joannie is superhuman tough. Most skaters are not like "her mother taught her to be." Scott could never be as tough as Joannie is. Different makeup. He isn't over Sergei Grinkov-nor his parents. Marrying finally and having kids was his salvation. Lucky Scott-he deserves it. too. It seems dis respectful to Mao and all people to compare how well they skate after family deaths.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think we were just commenting on the comment that no one could do it - skaters have... it's tough, and yes everyone deals with it differently.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yep, Oksana Baiul overcame much death and hardship too. But we all are different. Mao has to be careful; if she slips up it might be not what odds does she win oly gold it mght be will she make the Japanese team! Gulp.

mary01

Final Flight
Mao has to be careful; if she slips up it might be not what odds does she win oly gold it mght be will she make the Japanese team! Gulp.

The one i would be worring about not making the team would either be Akiko or Murakami, knowing Satoko Miyahara very well could replace one of the two by that time!

Please, she's hardly a competition for both Akiko and Kanako, if we are talking about the same skaters. Unless they both do horribly, literally bomb, Satoko doesn't have a shot at outscoring them.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Please, she's hardly a competition for both Akiko and Kanako, if we are talking about the same skaters. Unless they both do horribly, literally bomb, Satoko doesn't have a shot at outscoring them.
I agree, especially considering the < and << she usually receives, but (if puberty and injuries stay away from her) she could be a factor in 2018...

mskater93

Record Breaker
The one i would be worring about not making the team would either be Akiko or Murakami, knowing Satoko Miyahara very well could replace one of the two by that time!
Suzuki seems to be like a fine wine - getting better with age. I wouldn't be surprised to see her on the podium in Sochi if she skates her best, even if others do as well.