What are Mao Asada's chances of becoming Olympic Champion in 2014? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What are Mao Asada's chances of becoming Olympic Champion in 2014?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
But ando in 2010 was still making a huge error by doing 3 lz 3 loop that she always ured and the rules were so strict that loop was was worth 2 loop plus you add the negative goe it was a mistake. She got smarter and just did 3 lz 2 loop plus did five jumps just when the bonus started. 2011 world ando was much smarter than 2010 Olympic ando.

That was just in the SP in Vancouver. She does a nice triple-double in the short like the long she still finishes 5th overall.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Yeah she wasn't going to do that much better at the Olympics. Top 3 was all settled with them mostly getting 8's in pcs and 30+ in that area but she was much smarter in Moscow about points and everything. She learned and morozov learned from vancouver. Her 2011 win was done in a way that may not have been inspiring but worked. Yuna with the single flip after he 3/3 cost her the win.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Not to mention 2006 Ando who showed one of the greatest meltdowns in Olympic history.

Amazingly, after such a fiasco she won Worlds the next season. :clap:

When it comes to comebacks, Bill Clinton has nothing on Miki :)

True words. Like a Joubert as well.

janetfan

Match Penalty
True words. Like a Joubert as well.

Yes, but my worry now is Chan. If he even lands half his jumps it will be considered " a great comeback" :biggrin:

The scores will be laughably obscene.

And figure skating will take another big step backwards. :mad:

Not sure if the sport can withstand the greatness of Patrick's consistently sloppy skating.

But there is always snowboarding for N. American fans that are more into real spot :yes:

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
not as bad you might think.

she is still in the running.

kinda of agree with janetfan.
unforunately skating community doesn't realize they are taking a step backward ever time they cheat, overlook, manipulate, finesse a score for their favorite instead of true score, or push a skater just because of something, someone, federation and they a mildly okay at best,( i can think of a few current U.S. ladies they fit that bill, ).
they want to win, not who skates well,. They have to look at everyones mistakes regardless and not just the ones they don't want up on top. all of them
it doesn't help the big 4 (u.s., canada, japan, russia, ) throws their weight around too much to get what they want and don't help out the lesser countries that are starting out. (doesn't help they want to cut down from 24-18 and state they are growing when in fact they are really shrinking - gp event skaters from 12-10 and to 8 in pairs, & dance. how is that growing

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes, but my worry now is Chan. If he even lands half his jumps it will be considered " a great comeback" :biggrin:

The scores will be laughably obscene.

And figure skating will take another big step backwards. :mad:

I can feel the hatred about Chan so I will duck, pray for protection. Ah yes, if Chan is inconsistent and sloppy what does that say about Tak, hanyu, joubert, Verner, Brezina et al. Other than Plushy who is consistent with his jumps and sure Tak has had a couple in a row good skates but really not much consistency if you want to call it.

Not sure if the sport can withstand the greatness of Patrick's consistently sloppy skating.

But there is always snowboarding for N. American fans that are more into real spot :yes:
Hmm I risk getting killed her but people if Chan is sloppy or inconsistent think about it for a second. Other than perhaps Plushy which man is really consistently landing all the jumps? Tak has had a few in a row but remember he has had his slop and falls too. Hanyu, Kozuka, Oda, Verner, Brezina, Joubert, Amodio , the American men (the fact that they have trouble keeping the same men going to worlds shows consistency issues well no one is that consistent as to landing jumps (there are some consistent skaters who you can count on falling though LOL).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Back to the post title. Mao will win if she skates the best. The judges are willing to give her the marks but she has to land those jumps and skate with conviction. Over the last few yearsi have seen the joy and conviction wane. Of course, if YUNA can match her well she might have a problem but this is not a situation where judges are hostile to Mao.

Bartek

On the Ice
Mao from the 2010 Olympics would have still easily won the 2011 Worlds herself. Her SP alone from Vancouver would have put her way ahead and out of reach. Ando from the 2011 Worlds was basically the same or worse as the 2010 Olympics where she herself came only 5th, and which is where here 2011 World performance would have placed her (at best) in Vancouver as well. So whatever you are talking about has nothing to do with my point in the quote.

Yes, but you are telling people **** and it's worth correcting. Yu-Na from every competition 3 years preceding Vancouver wouldn't have won at 2010 Worlds where Mao scored almost 200 points even though two of her highly difficult triple axels were downgraded.

Miki from 2011 Worlds was much better skater than Miki from Vancouver. Her spins improved tremendously and she used the system a lot better. Besides, her short program was simply beautiful.

guanchi

On the Ice
Yes, but you are telling people **** and it's worth correcting. Yu-Na from every competition 3 years preceding Vancouver wouldn't have won at 2010 Worlds where Mao scored almost 200 points even though two of her highly difficult triple axels were downgraded.

Miki from 2011 Worlds was much better skater than Miki from Vancouver. Her spins improved tremendously and she used the system a lot better. Besides, her short program was simply beautiful.

Not sure where you are getting this info, but I believe at 2009 worlds, Yuna scored 207 points with a popped salchow and invalid spin. At 2009 TEB, Yuna got 210 with a missed flip, at her very first event of the season. So I doubt that Asada would have bettered those scores even with 2 valid triple axels.

I agree about Miki, though.

Krislite

Medalist
This question cannot be answered without a lot of tenuous assumptions about how Asada versus the rest of the field will skate from here on to Sochi. Had anyone asked the same questions about Vancouver in 2008, Mao would have been the number #1 favorite to win. She was the World Champion and far more heavily favored by the judges at the time.

If we assume she continuous to improve and skates clean in Sochi...
If we assume the Russian prodigies do not live up to their promise...
If we assume her other potential senior rivals Carolina, Ando, Kim, etc. don't skate their best, retire or withdraw...
If we assume no new rules will be introduced next year that could hurt her chances...
If we assume she sustains no major injury between now and Sochi...

etc. You get the idea. Then her chances of winning are good. There's one thing she's got going for her, she does have the fiery motivation to win at Sochi. Her other older rivals like Carolina Kostner or Yuna Kim may not be so committed, especially Yuna, considering they already got what they wanted (World titles and Olympic gold).

You really should ask this question after this season's World Championship. There's always been a strong correlation between the Olympic champion and pre-Olympics World champion, even in the post-figures 6.0 era and in the CoP era (Michelle Kwan notwithstanding). Even in the last two decades, that has held true for Yamaguchi, Baiul, Lipinski, and Kim (4 out 6 Olympics since the elimination of figures). I expect this season's World Champ will have the strongest chance of winning Sochi if she skates relatively clean.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mao from the 2010 Olympics would have still easily won the 2011 Worlds herself. Her SP alone from Vancouver would have put her way ahead and out of reach. Ando from the 2011 Worlds was basically the same or worse as the 2010 Olympics where she herself came only 5th, and which is where here 2011 World performance would have placed her (at best) in Vancouver as well. So whatever you are talking about has nothing to do with my point in the quote.

Ando was much better at 2011 Worlds than 2010 Olympics IMO. First, her SP in 2011 was way better just as a program, and she racked up more points by doing a 3lz-2lo and 3lo with +GOE there than doing a 3lz-3lo with the loop downgraded to a double with -GOE and a shaky 3f that was borderline UR. Then in the FS, Miki may have landed her jumps in Vancouver, but the quality was not of the usual Miki standard, she got like no GOE for jump elements overall which is like unheard of for her, and she only had one combo in the 2nd half. At 2011 Worlds Miki doubled out on the 2a combo with that step out, but the rest of her jumps were great quality, and 5 jumping passes and 2 combos were in the 2nd half. I'm not saying Miki was outstanding at the 2011 Worlds or anything, but she was pretty "off" in Vancouver despite managing to land her jumps, not only were the jumps not as big or beautiful as usual, but she also was really stone-faced, slow, and cautious in her programs there. Her SP to the Mission in 2011 was really great because she actually emoted to it.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, I love Mao. What she does on the ice when she wants to just show joy is amazing. When I think of Kwan's Lyra, I think of a young, joyous MK who was really skating with love, joy, no fear and in another world. Mao has the capacity. She is little, etheral creature, beautiful to watch. I really am so tired of a system that puts so much emphasis on Mao under rotating her triple axels. They are amazing to watch, and I am sick to death of jumpers winning with rotatated jumps, in once case, then someone who rotatates and falls then wins for superior skating skills, and the scores are just rediculous. Before CoP and slo mo replays, skating was more enjoyable. These are hard triples and combos and I hope the system finds balance in the scoring. I have no idea what the judges are trying to promote in elite skaters as the scoring seems crazy. Carolina wins on beauty, Chan wins on rotations, speedy skating skills and great transitions and can fall twice and mess up a jump. ? What is a girl to think without a detailed protocol sheet? It is what it is. So glad for youtube to watch so many great skates past present and future. I can hope, anyway.

So Cop wonks can crunch the numbers to explain it all, but it still is so flawed, confusing to many. I wish the sport would make up its collective mind what they want to be. That is why a long while back i asked if there could be a program that was judged soley on tech merit, and free skate judged on classical lines, beauty, the choro, costumes, etc. I say It's an artistic sport. That being said, I am Ok with Carolina winning as she was just so beautiful all year and in the zone. Fast, free, joyous. Others did harder jumps, but what she did do was lovely, inspiring. If it were sport first, I guess Leonova would have gold in 2012?

Skating does not seem to know what it should reward, and it was much more clear under 6.0. Yes, these CoP programs are requiring skaters to try much more re footwork, transitions, choreography, but the total programs are suffering from the judging system. In terms of men, only Jeremy has moved me this year, and in terms of ladies, I think Akiko has an amazing LP. There is much I have not seen. Skating must define what it wants to reward, and therefore teach at earliest levels. It seems to me, the emphasis must be on technical achievement to be taken seriously. That would not be my own personal wish, as I am attracted to the beauty and the balletic lines. This is why I am a Yu-na fan but not her uber. Leg lines, spirals, pointed toes, etc matter more to me than high speed 3x3's with slo mo proof they were exactly rotated to the nth degree. I suspect Sarah flutzed at Olympics, but it was an amaziningly joyous freeskate that won her gold with harder attempts than anyone there. It was joyous, memorable, even inspiring for me at least. I honestly don't care if someone under rotates a bit. If they land the jump with decent flow it should be a minor deduction, not calling it a double.

Splats ruin a program for me, even if I am enthralled with the quality of the skating skills, etc. The tech callers are making or breaking careers. I just wish they'd decide what mateers most-technical prowess or overall beauty of the program. We can't have it both ways, unless the scoring system and the competitive events are changed a lot, thus changing how all is taught from earliest levels. So I am hoping to see more skaters who can do what Lyra does for me, or Jupiter or Elegie from Chan. If it leaves you bored, untouched or worse annoyed, then why watch? I guess I have come to being a reductionist in what I want to see. I will keep watching, but I am in search of magic. Am I alone in these feelings? A bit OT at times, but most threads are, and many posts. I close with the line I opened, I love Mao Asada the skater, and hope she will be true to her gifts and damn the results. Carolina Kostner got to that point and she was never better to watch. Even won a WC. Go figure.

PS

For Gold, I am going nationalistic this time. If Ashley can bring it, then her. We have not won in a long time. If it's time for a little Russian gal, so be it. But somehow I think it will be another Asian lady who wins, regardless of country she skates for.

I personally would rather watch Mao with her lines and ethereal joy doing whatever than a jumper who rotates with ugly legs, flexed feet, and bad spirals. Mao epitomizes the beauty we look to for ladies skating. She won silver at Olympics, she is capable of gold. judges still like her and she has a lovely LP this year, as evidenced at Japan Open. I don't care if Mao gets another medal. She has proven she can compete. Why not ask what makes her special? So she will try for Sochi. I have a few I'd like to see win. In the end, win or lose, she is in a class by herself over years of great skaters. The scoring system, favoritism, politics can take all the fun out of skating at the elite level. It is a wonder anyone wants to skate. I must say I'd rather watch the Japanese skaters or Asian skaters in general as they try to do the impossible and often succeed. The body types are a huge advantage, as well as the work ethic. If skating is dying in the west, it just shows how hard elite skating is under CoP, and the sacrifices are too much for most people and their families. Whether it is Asian from Asia or Asian from North America, the dominance is truly remarkable.

If not for Japan and countries coming up like Korea and China, the sport might die out altogether. Fortunately, we can still see pairs from many countries as male size and strength is a plus, and ice dance seems to be amenable to a variety of body types and heights. Singles is different. I know Mao wants gold as a point of honor and to live up to Shizuka. She is such a fighter. But the Mao I love is the one who skates the way she wants and jumps her triple axels and lands them with joy. She is so unique, and sadly, she was diminished by so many fans who compare her to their favorite Korean skater, or to Shizuka, or to Miki or Yuka or Midori.

When Carolina stopped being concerned about skating for CoP points entirely, she won because she is beautiful, airy, free, fast. We could debate if it is fair without the most difficult jumps, but I think the judges are saying that beauty of line is very important and that the program as a whole must me a thing of beauty, a work of art. With all the frenzied, unnatractive programs out there, it is nice to have a Mao Asada. Japan has also Akiko Suzuki who is joyous and special, among other great skaters. Ladies is clearly being judged, always has, different from mens, though I see big changes in that too since the days of the Brians. Would Dai be so successful in the 80's? I think not. Would Johnny Weir even have a career pre the 90's? Not the Johnny we see in the last 6 years or so.

I am not sure, given the results and podium placements what the judges are saying about who should win or place or show and why. I hope the judging criteria will changes in some aspects. In the meantime, we have to watch for those few programs or parts of programs that move us, and the few skaters who are quite special regardless of hardware. I will never understand the overscoring of a certain few skaters, but this is the sport, take it or leave it.

I guess I am saying Mao has nothing to prove in my book. She is a skater for the ages, and CoP or competitions don't always show her off to advantage. Her Jupiter program-if that does not leave one awed, what would? It is nice to discuss will she win or is she past her prime, but she is one of the most beautiful figure skaters in my memory. She is a treasure, and the only Japanese lady right now in her league is Akiko. I would love to see Akiko win an Oly medal-any color. She gives me great joy to watch as well. Michelle Kwan was the world's most consistent jumper, but it was her joy and beauty on the ice that won so many hearts.

ETA forgive such a long post. I guess I am a frustrated watcher who wants the sport to clarifiy what it is now, who should win based on that clarity and apply it evenly without the blatant favoritism or the cheating politics. I ask a level playing field and unbiased, fair judging. I know, the sun the moon and the stars. I will continue to watch what skating I can access or stomach as the case may be. With dwindling skating, it is great to have so many ubers and young fans who are into the "now" newness of CoP. Great board-Thank you!!!! Every poster has something to add and that is nice. Can't believe SA is finally coming, sans Evan sadly, but so it goes. Looking for the magical moments to begin!

Last edited:

Bartek

On the Ice
Not sure where you are getting this info, but I believe at 2009 worlds, Yuna scored 207 points with a popped salchow and invalid spin. At 2009 TEB, Yuna got 210 with a missed flip, at her very first event of the season. So I doubt that Asada would have bettered those scores even with 2 valid triple axels.

I agree about Miki, though.

In my previous reply to pangtongfan I excluded those two performances. He said that Yu-Na from every competition preceding Vancouver would've won at 2010 Worlds what is certainly not true. In that period of time Yu-Na scored more than 2010 Worlds Mao only at those two competitions you mentioned.

guanchi

On the Ice
In my previous reply to pangtongfan I excluded those two performances. He said that Yu-Na from every competition preceding Vancouver would've won at 2010 Worlds what is certainly not true. In that period of time Yu-Na scored more than 2010 Worlds Mao only at those two competitions you mentioned.
Sorry

Sorry, I missed that part.
It's true that those were the only 2 higher than Mao Worlds 2010 before Vancouver. I think I trying to get at Yuna's possible ceiling for her 08-09 and 09-10 performances, which if performed cleanly, would have been over 210 for sure, maybe in the 212 range for 08-09 and 215+ for 09-10. (there was inflation at Vancouver, but I think it was for everyone, not just her)

Krislite

Medalist
[...]

ETA forgive such a long post. I guess I am a frustrated watcher who wants the sport to clarifiy what it is now, who should win based on that clarity and apply it evenly without the blatant favoritism or the cheating politics. I ask a level playing field and unbiased, fair judging. I know, the sun the moon and the stars. I will continue to watch what skating I can access or stomach as the case may be. With dwindling skating, it is great to have so many ubers and young fans who are into the "now" newness of CoP. Great board-Thank you!!!! Every poster has something to add and that is nice. Can't believe SA is finally coming, sans Evan sadly, but so it goes. Looking for the magical moments to begin!

I think your wish is unrealistic. Judging will never be perceived as "fair" or "unbiased" so long as it is qualitative, no matter what the judging system is. So long as those subjective qualities you so admire in figure skating--lines, spirals, pointed toes, musical expression, choreography, etc--are part of it, "wuzrobbed" will always be in the figure skating lexicon. After all, 6.0 judging was never "fair", "objective" or "unbiased". It never was. Neither is CoP. Though I suppose 6.0's merit over CoP was that it was not puportedly objective.

No judging system will ever satisfy everyone either. There are significantly different opinions as to how each element or component in a program should be weighted in the judging. And there are so many elements/components to consider--both on the technical side and the artistic side.

But in any case, let me get back on topic. I will reiterate that we should wait until after the World championships to determine Mao's chances of winning in Sochi. If she gets the World title, Sochi is hers as long as she is relatively clean. History is strongly on her side on this. If she does not win the World title, it will be a struggle. Only very few have won the Olympics without being the reigning World Champ, and it was only when the favorites faltered (SLC and Torino). She'll need a splatfest to win in Sochi if she doesn't win Worlds next year.

I think your wish is unrealistic. Judging will never be perceived as "fair" or "unbiased" so long as it is qualitative, no matter what the judging system is. So long as those subjective qualities you so admire in figure skating--lines, spirals, pointed toes, musical expression, choreography, etc--are part of it, "wuzrobbed" will always be in the figure skating lexicon. After all, 6.0 judging was never "fair", "objective" or "unbiased". It never was. Neither is CoP. Though I suppose 6.0's merit over CoP was that it was not puportedly objective.

No judging system will ever satisfy everyone either. There are significantly different opinions as to how each element or component in a program should be weighted in the judging. And there are so many elements/components to consider--both on the technical side and the artistic side.
ITA. There always will be people screaming "wuzrobbed" for their favorite skaters' behalf. Only way to satisfy everyone is for all the skaters to have perfectly clean skates all together which very unfortunately converges to zero possibility. Not that I'm totally fine with the way it is with judging every time, but you gotta respect the hard-works and efforts people pour in for the sport's integrity. And Mao is the last person who I'd say is the victim of unfair judging.

But in any case, let me get back on topic. I will reiterate that we should wait until after the World championships to determine Mao's chances of winning in Sochi. If she gets the World title, Sochi is hers as long as she is relatively clean. History is strongly on her side on this. If she does not win the World title, it will be a struggle. Only very few have won the Olympics without being the reigning World Champ, and it was only when the favorites faltered (SLC and Torino). She'll need a splatfest to win in Sochi if she doesn't win Worlds next year.
This. Too early and Worlds in fake London will be likely a beacon, perhaps not exact one, though, of who'll be rising and falling. Although with the way she showed herself in JO, I've got a really great feeling this time, she'll make something happen!

BTW, thanks for that wonderful post, skateluvr. It really showed your heartfelt affection for the sport and Mao, it almost teared me up and got me excited for this season even more, if that's possible!

Last edited:

samson

Medalist
Skateluvr, thanks for that post. I think you really get at the heart of what is so frustrating for so many of us about the sport today and the scoring system. What is the standard that the COP and judges want the skaters to hold themselves to?

I don't have time to rewatch the ladies LP at 2012 worlds but I went back to look at the protocols thinking it would clear things up for me. It sort of did. What was clear was the judges really loved Carolina. And they should have. She was the essence of everything a great skater is. Light airy jumps that look so easy, beautiful artistry on the ice (words I would have never equated with her in '06), lines, originality, edging, someone that makes you want to get on the ice and skate with her.

The way I like to put it is, she wasn't worried about reinventing her skating but reinvesting. She reinvested in what she does and suddenly she was transcendent. I think the one season Michelle was more focused on reinventing over reinvesting was the '02 Olympics. People thought she needed to reinvent herself but she never needed to do that. I can't count the number of competitions where the commentators would make some remark about how she was trying to reignite her competitive fire, and she would do just that. And we saw those magnificent programs. I think this point was even clearer post '02 when every nationals without fail we saw a renewed investment in who she was and what she was doing out on the ice. In the '02-'03 season she was untouchable and her Tosca at '04 nationals was revelatory. There was nothing new there, other than her own investment and belief in what she was doing.

Evan, was invested in Worlds and the Olympics is a way he was not with Nationals and look at him, he didn't need a quad. The last time there had been a mens Olympic Champion with no quad was 1994 (I think) but he didn't need it because he was so invested in the moment and his other elements were so transcendent.

It's funny looking at the sp protocol from lat year. Had Mao just gone for a plain double axel, she would have at least been in third. I hope this Swan Lake fs will allow her to reinvest in herself and her skating. It's a beauty and stands a chance at brining her another world title.

The men certainly seem invested in the quad jump and what seemed like a rare feat four years ago is everywhere today, and that's great. The women don't seem so invested in triple axels or even triple/triples at this point. I kind of feel like that's ok. If we sacrifice death defying jumps for Carolina's fs I'll be fine with that. And the women who truly see their strength as a jumper, they should invest in that.

This will be my 17th season watching the sport, and I'm tired of waiting for skaters to reinvent the wheel. Or watching them do something they think is important because in their mind that's exactly what they're doing. If start seeing more reinvesting, and less attempts to reinvent, what I think people will find, is a lot of skaters will start developing their own unique voice. Originality in skating will return. Why do you think so many of us are charmed by Akiko? Because at one point in her life, she had to make the conscious effort to reinvest in herself and in her life and that included her skating. And what it lead her to is a skater that for my money has one of the most unique and charming styles I've ever seen. No one could have pulled off last years sp the way she did, (except maybe Yuka Sato!!) and I think her new FS will prove to be a signature piece of the season.

So for me it's all about reinvestment. I'll say it again, r e i n v e s t m e n t. I think that's all the judges ever REALLY want to see and no matter what scoring system you out out there that's what will be rewarded, give or take a placement ;). My question then is, how do we get this concept to be conveyed to the skaters? Which ones have a reinvestment in themselves and which ones are searching for it?

gmyers

Record Breaker
^^^^

Yeah sometimes when you stop training jumps that give you a lot of trouble you can focus on easier things for you and make them better. No lutz or no quad and it can turn out really well for you as consistency can improve and whatever. I do not celebrate reinvestment with technical regression.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks for pos comments on my too long post and sweet pm.Answer is 'Yes of course!.'

I realize I was asking for sun, moon and stars, and skating will always have results that some hate or all go "HuH?" collectively. I was just wishing on a star. And thanks for seeing my heart.

I like the 'reinvestment as opposed to reinventing' way of looking at a skater's style/essence on the ice. It's very interesting POV. For example, every season Leonova reinvents at least her look and I am not sure who this skater really is at heart and are we seeing her presented to best advantage? She won silver at worlds so that says she is doing CoP well and the judges approved of her offerings. She is not my favorite skater because I hate most of Morozov's choreography. I grew to like her SP by the end of the season, and she performed it well. But I hated her LP though she skated it well. I do not remember if I watched her skate from Japan Open or if she was even there. I watched many programs and i don't recall her at all. So I guess that says two things-bad memory or it made no impression.

But back again to topic, it does seem that the 2013 champion historically has the edge to win gold at Sochi, but it is not a given. I disagree that Mao has to be WC to hope to win Sochi. Or hope for a splatfest if not. Ladies Torino and Vancouver were the expected results-no surprises there, and fair, but SLC and Sarah Hughes isn't totally rare in skating and under CoP, we might see more 4th or 5th place skaters after SP grab the gold. Alledgedly, it is more possible now. I would never bet against Mao Asada, especially having seen her debut Swan Lake at JO.

CoP is purportedly more fair and less involved in wait your turn. Hanyu's rise is an example of what's good about CoP. Mao lost her mother last year. She was devastated. She has work to do. But anyone who writes her off now does not admit how much she wants this win. She has been said to be a shadow of Vancouver Mao, but I don't think the detractors have seen her Swan Lake, and it is brand new. Kim Yu-Na was unbeatable coming into Vancouver with her win expected by 30 points at least. She too went downhill after the Olympics and many saw very little of Vancouver Kim. But she is another clutch, coldblooded killer skater. She will be formidable. I can't imagine she would even return unless she felt sure she could do technically what she did in Vancouver. But ice is slippery. We shall see. Meantime, I am happy to see Mao skating to Swan Lake and not Bells of Moscow. She did well and is versatile, but her essence is very balletic and I am glad to see her reinvesting in her true persona on the ice and not looking to be something she is not. I think that is an example or reinvesting and not trying to reinvent. Going with her style and strength is a far better idea. She must have thought about Wagner and thought she could do the role justice and compare well to Oksana Baiul, or Shizuka or anyone who has used this ballet music. Perfect fit, I think.

Can gmyers or another CoP afficionado tell us how Mao's Swan Lake stacks up as a "winning " LP or not? I have not seen her SP, so there is something to look forward to. I will scan the thread to see if Mao's LP has been picked apart yet by GSers for technical prowess if I missed that. Thanks in advance. Never having been a skater, it is hard to assess what transitions are the most difficult and "pointworthy" under CoP. And I understand your point gmyers about not wanting to see the sport regress technically.

But can you give examples (sticking to singles) of how every Oly Champion has done better than the one before? With huge changes in the scoring system and tweaking on going, and limits to technical prowess, which results have made you feel the sport is regressing if that is what you meant? Should Timmy Goebel have beaten Yags and Plush? Would he have under CoP? I personally thought he skated a great LP in SLC. HE hunches a bit, but his skating was really quite good and I would have had no problem to see him in second if technical prowess is first.

Always the question, still not clear to me after the last season especially. Technical acumen should beat artistry? Or not. I say not, but maybe Men's skating should reward landed hard jumps above all else to reinvigorate the viewership. I prefer artistry, but I love ballet. I guess I could support either direction the sport could take, as long as it strives to be safe and fair to all four disciplines as they evolve (or devolve). I am glad that ladies skating is still judged differently than mens. I don't think as a rule women should train a 3a, too much abuse to the body. And I would rather see a beautiful 3/2 than 3/3's consistently getting edge calls or Ur calls and not getting the points. Should women try to do more than one 3x3 in the LP? I think one is enough, and pushing them causes too many injuries to small boned ladies who dominate the sport. I think the men at elite level should train a quad, a quad triple, and a triple axel in the long. I think emphasis should be on doing the jumps well. Some will do a more difficult quad or combo, but if the first triple axel is done very well, why must there be a push to do two? Is this regression? Or does it allow the man to practice cleaner, faster spins (and attractive positions please). And how about footwork sequences that are done to accentuate the music? In life, isn't it often two steps forward, one step back? Skating is the same for each individual.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Cop aficionado lol. Leonova was 4th in the lp. Got second because of the sp which she won.

Mao needs to do all technical elements and not leave out a spin and she needs a 3/3 but should avoid the 3a! She lost to Wagner and might lose to Kim but definitely needs to avoid things that give her trouble. Kostner talked about lutzs but never did one in competition 2011 2012 because she knew it wasn't necessary.