Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: What are Mao Asada's chances of becoming Olympic Champion in 2014?

On the Ice
    I knew this thread would turn out an ugly fight ... It's very sad ...

Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    everyone the top skaters recieve inflate pcs but in Yuna´s case and Patrick is almost ridiculous, simply too much difference, and stop saying that poor Yuna is alone against the world because her federation, come on, I am almost sure that Yuna had got more money for isu than all federations together, is like she is her own federation, money speak.
    the funniest accusation i've ever read in my life. i mean yuna has more money than the ENTIRE Japanese fed? HAHA! keep it up honey.
    Last edited by cooper; 10-21-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Custom Title
    People, this tone dishonors both of these fine skaters. Does an angry post add a single point to the score of either skater? Does it add a single rotation to any jump? If yelling could give Mao back her triple axel or could ensure that YuNa's performance level be at its 1910 height, I'd say "Have at it." But all it does is induce distress in other posters.

One day in the future, we're going to yearn for the good old days of Mao and YuNa. So why not enjoy them both now? Please ramp it down. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.

Custom Title
    My bet is on Ashley Wagner. She skated so well.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    I would just leave it at "Anything can happen, any of the top 5 contenders can win" and leave it at that. Mao is still a contender. She has never been out of the picture, even at times when she was struggling with a number of technical issues as well as personal issues in the past few years.

I can't believe it's almost 2014 because 2010 feels like it was just yesterday. That Winter Olympics left a crater in my soul that hasn't faded one bit. My favourite lay down two incredible performances and her amazing rival laid down an awesome SP with a few missteps in her LP. In the moment, however, I was trembling and almost couldn't bear to watch. After she finished and cried out--in relief? Disbelief? Elation?--I couldn't help but tear up a little, too. Whether your favourite wins an Olympics or not will not change how much you love them, but I know the intense feeling of wishing for it to happen. Only while watching replays could I truly breathe and enjoy her skates for what they were. I know others were devastated, and I do not fault them because I would have been, too, if the outcome had been different, not because I feel someone else would not have been as worthy, but just because we are all entitled to have our favourites and it's just human to feel that way.

There will be critics, critiques and criticisms along with the celebrations. Sasha Cohen remarked how much more difficult it was to keep track of CoP requirements while being expressive and performing to the max, as opposed to how things were under the 6.0 system. I would imagine it's something akin to being asked to perform a delicate surgery while running on a treadmill and also masterfully singing a complex song, and on top of that, tastes vary. This is why I love figure skating! While there will always be favourites, and a number of widely accepted "Greats", it's hard to love just one skater, or to pick out a single skater who can be considered "the best" at everything that matters in figure skating. It is a multi-dimensional sport. One of my coworkers says that's why he doesn't like judged sports, because they're not as objective as something like racing. And I say, well, it's what makes them even better.

I love YuNa Kim, I love Mao Asada, and I love Patrick Chan. Their faults are tiny compared to what they bring to the sport and to my enjoyment of it, and the better they skate, the better it is for me. So, I hope they continue to improve and to bring it. I've got tickets to Worlds this year and I am planning on making more than one poster.

I think it was going okay until chapis brought up his/her absurd "theory."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    I love YuNa Kim, I love Mao Asada, and I love Patrick Chan. Their faults are tiny compared to what they bring to the sport and to my enjoyment of it, and the better they skate, the better it is for me. So, I hope they continue to improve and to bring it. I've got tickets to Worlds this year and I am planning on making more than one poster.
    Actually, I love your whole post. But I especially enjoyed this last paragraph. I would just (no surprise) add Daisuke to your list in this paragraph. And I can't wait for your reports on Worlds. You lucky duck! Post often.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Yes, their faults ARE miniscule compared to what they have brought to the sport. I don't know what the chances are that we'll see a Yuna-Mao rivalry in 2014 to match the splendid one of 2010. But I'm am glad they are still around and I soooooooo hope they do well. Especially Mao (only because she hasn't won Olympic Gold and it would be beautiful if she did) and because she kept going full steam ahead after the Olympics. When I watched her JO open performance it was liked she breathed some life into back into ladies figure skating for a bit - ah, HERE's the real deal. I don't just don't see anyone out there right now who is the gem that Mao is or has the capacity to be. Lots of potentials but no one has taken ownership of being a clear favorite yet. The young Russians are still finding their footing in seniors, the Americans are kind of stuck in "middle of the pack" "almost girls" mode for now. Not saying that can't change but we'll just have to see.

Miserere Nobis
    Returning this to the OP's question--no, I don't foresee Asada taking gold in Sochi, especially not with all of the new talents pouring into the international scene.

I also don't see Yuna making a repeat performance, though she may well land on the podium. Mainly because she's been away from competition for far too long, it's an unrealistic expectation, and she'll definitely feel some pressure to be the same nineteen-year-old starlet we saw in Vancouver. If she feels that she can't improve on that performance, it could be devastating.

My (very) early predictions for Sochi, assuming good health from all skaters:

Gold: Ashley, Julia L, Liza T, Akiko S
    Silver: Gracie, Yuna, Mao, Adelina S, Kanako M
    Bronze: Alissa, Alena L, Ksenia M, Elene G

Thirteen ladies, three crowns. Let the (Olympic) Games begin.

Custom Title
    Her chances are better than ever. Her PCS is amazing. And if she can do three or four triples she will be unstoppable! She has loop and salchow and if she gets toe or flip it should be amazing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    My (very) early predictions for Sochi, assuming good health from all skaters:

Gold: Ashley, Julia L, Liza T, Akiko S
    Silver: Gracie, Yuna, Mao, Adelina S, Kanako M
    Bronze: Alissa, Alena L, Ksenia M, Elene G

Thirteen ladies, three crowns. Let the (Olympic) Games begin.
    So Caro's 14th?

Medalist
    I hope both Asada and Kim fall 5 times each and end up handing medals to transitionless Leonova, junior-like jump difficulty Kostner, and beauty PCS Korpi.

Tripping on the Podium
    The Olympics is so hard to predict, but I truly believe that Mao deserves being Olympic champion! It's a hope for me anyway given all the recent sadness in her life, but I think it's more important for Mao to be enjoying what she does.

Who knows what will happen, this sport can get pretty crazy. Not to mention the politics, the outcries of "unfair judging" post-events, lobbying- I can imagine some Russian influence on this event, home court advantages etc etc. So it's not that simple.

But to talk pure skating, Mao is one of the best, and I'm not sure if an Olympic Gold medal will be necessary as proof of this. In the end, it is one event over 2 days.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I hope both Asada and Kim fall 5 times each and end up handing medals to transitionless Leonova, junior-like jump difficulty Kostner, and beauty PCS Korpi.
    Actually Yu-Na has junior-like jump difficulty because all these pre-teens are doing difficult 3-3's. Once they become seniors they lose most of their jumps and then are more like Caro

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Actually Yu-Na has junior-like jump difficulty because all these pre-teens are doing difficult 3-3's. Once they become seniors they lose most of their jumps and then are more like Caro
    Maybe more novice? Or beginner. Because when a skater gets older and maybe mature and becomes really artistic jumps can go down to almost no triple!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast