Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kanako Murakami: your honest opinion?

Custom Title

Kanako Murakami: your honest opinion?

what is your honest opinion of her new programs?

I think they are GREAT

Can she achieve a WORLD medal with them this season, perhaps?? yes or no??

sp
    http://youtu.be/q7HcECSX2R4

lp
    http://youtu.be/tYtxQhBVAso

My honest opinion of Kanako Murakami as a skater is that she has much potential. She exuberates such passion and emotion when she takes the ice; furthermore, she has great presence on the ice with blistering speed into her jumps. I find her to be my second favorite on the Japanese Ladies' Team (right next to Mao)
    This season, I think both of the programs suit her very well. Her short to Prayer for Taylor highlights her ability to draw emotion from lyrical pieces. Absolutely stunning. Additionally, I absolutely adore her step sequence at the beginning, I didn't even realize that it was a step sequence until half-way through. Her Tango free isn't quite there yet, but I think it is an improvement over her prgram last year. I think there is room for growth, but she still seems to fall apart at the half-way point.
    Can she achieve a world medal this season? I believe her chances are higher than last years. What is holding her back is the HUGE edge call on her Lutz and her UR problems, particularly after the half-way point. If she can clean up those flaws, she'll be in prime contention for her first world medal.
    I hope that she realizes her potential though, as I believe her inconsistency comes from her lack of confidence. :/

Custom Title
    I think she could challenge the inconsistent Mao even. She has nice flo but there are so many good Japanese lady skaters. Look what happened to one of their top skaters - she just sort of fell off the face of the earth - Fumie Suguri.

Her programs are good, but she needs to clean up her technique: in the SP, all of her three triples were <!! I like the energy and the passion of her FS, especially the second half, she really looked more relaxed and confident than last season; but I don't think that she's going to have a World medal chance: the field is really a difficult one but, at least, with Miki not competing, she's sure of getting the spot...

Custom Title
    Yes Kanako's programs are really nice this year, especially the SP, I agree the FS needs working on, I feel this needs a bit more polish which will come with competition, but Kanako needs to do more off-ice training, her endurance lets her down after the midway point in the FS like a previous poster said above. Now her medal chances (I have to say not yet!) It might come after Sochi - maybe Worlds 2014 when some skaters will not take part there. I think Kanako will develop as years to come, but Yes I agree the technique may have to change if she is to challenge for a medal and like Mao that might take a year or 2 to adjust to a different coach! - But all in all a great improvement this year and I am sure that SP could get her some valuable points - which she will need - It is a beauty and her nuances are very good to that piece of music - and the layout of her jumps - will get her some bonus points.

Ps Kanako is not in the same league as Akiko, Mao or Miki* yet (*thats if Miki comes back to compete) but it will come
    Last edited by russell30; 10-13-2012 at 09:48 AM.

I love her SP but am not sure about FP. IMO Kanako has really nice musicality, better than any other Japanese ladies, even. The problem is, when she misses a jump or messes up a competition, it really gets to her and she looks so apparent of it, hence, leading to worse performances and bad impressions. All she needs is confidence, then her time will come, no doubt.

Banned
    Kanako reminds me of Shizuka and could develop really well in years to come
    but she needs to clean up her nerves, she suffers from mental issues thus she usually has a bad FS

I really like Kanako's programs and think she has a lot of potential, but her technique is really disturbing, i really hope she will somehow change it before it's too late.

My honest opinion

I love this girl - and think she is a rare breath of fresh air in a frumpy excuse of a sport - that is desperate for skaters with big personalities.

She won Skate America in her Sr debut season and I remember as they announced her Gala skate they said:

"She won Skate America and she won our hearts.....Please welcome your Skate America champion....Kanako Murakami!!!"
    And the crowd cheered very loudly!

Poor Rachael was second - and as far as I recall only RD was beside his/her self over the results.

Although let me make it clear....RD does not "cheerlead"

On the other hand, bitching about results is an altogehter different story......which should never, ever to be confused with cheerleading

Anyway - when Kanako smiles....my heart melts.

So I am the last person to ask for a serious and unbiased opinion about her skating
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-13-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    I really like Kanako's programs and think she has a lot of potential, but her technique is really disturbing, i really hope she will somehow change it before it's too late.
    yeah, I think the high kick is really bad technique
    especially how she kicks her flutz, its almost like a mule kick ala Caroline Zhang

Custom Title
    So many of the younger Japanese ladies (e.g. Murakami and Imai) who were stars in the JGP and moved up to seniors have major problems with URs, especially in the FS.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    yeah, I think the high kick is really bad technique
    especially how she kicks her flutz, its almost like a mule kick ala Caroline Zhang
    Yet you don't notice how Julia is little more than a "zombie" on skates......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

In fact I bet if people suffering from insomnia were forced to watch Julia skate they would soon be contentedly counting lambs......

Let's be atleast half fair here, OK.....

Nobody who ignores music the way Julia does will ever win the OGM....and if they did - it would be the absolute end of figure skating as something artistic and special.

Except perhaps in Russia - which continues to produce non-stop the most awful and unartistic lady skaters in the world.

Only Adelina is excused - but otherwise I am talking about FOREVER.

Custom Title
    I love how her SP starts with a step sequence I also thought that her 3-3 was great in SP, were both jumps really UR? I didn't think so, both looked super-clean to me.

Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    I love how her SP starts with a step sequence I also thought that her 3-3 was great in SP, were both jumps really UR? I didn't think so, both looked super-clean to me.
    They actually were...

Custom Title
    Love this girl! I think she has an exuberance about her that just draws you in. Her SP is lovely; hope she does well this season!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast