Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canada's "other" men

Custom Title

Canada's "other" men

Chan obviously dominates discussion, but I think it's worth having a thread to discuss the other competitors. Canada doesn't have the field that Japan or the USA has, but it's still quite an interesting one.

Inspired by Anthony Kan and his SP. Gutsy, fascinating, with some truly unique moments.

Kevin Reynolds gets no respect or love from Canada? talented guy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Kevin Reynolds gets no respect or love from Canada?
    What are you talking about? Any proof?

Custom Title
    Rogozine has the best potential. He is very good.

I like Jeremy Ten and was disappointed that he didn't get a Grand Prix, especially after he was third at Canadian Nationals last year.

Custom Title
    Is there any other canadian men other than Chan??? LOL Sadly it is a dessert of talent after Chan. Reynolds has not shown growth artistically, skating skills, spins or for that matter jumps. He isn't more consistent or getting more difficult quads and his pcs have not improved at all. And sadly he is know for his rather asthetically annoying appearance especially his hair. He has had a couple of years to show some development but he hasn't and he can't move out of the 10 to 15th range without some improvement and consistency in those quads and 3A especially if you aren't great pc wise. His packaging is just not overly attractive. Ten had promise but can't jump and he is penalized for his lack of technicality. Rogozoine maybe the best hope. I am not sold on Baldwin? i say bring back Buttle - no seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch17 View Post
    I like Jeremy Ten and was disappointed that he didn't get a Grand Prix, especially after he was third at Canadian Nationals last year.
    It's too bad Jeremy Ten is injured and he's also really inconsistent, even when not injured. He has a great artistic sense, I think. I still think Rogozine is the best hope though, or maybe Firus.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    It's too bad Jeremy Ten is injured and he's also really inconsistent, even when not injured. He has a great artistic sense, I think. I still think Rogozine is the best hope though, or maybe Firus.
    ITA. Will he ever be able to reach the top?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Firus is just as inconsistent as Ten although he is younger than Ten. Still does not have a triple axel though. Firus is good on the PCS side but the jumps still aren't there consistently yet.

Rogozine is very consistent internationally but always seems to come undone at nationals. Still the best bet for now if he can finally show some consistency at nationals.

Still don't think any of these skaters are the next one. I think Nam Nguyen has more potential long term.

It is good that Nam Nguyen has changed coaches and has gotten away from Mcleod. This is a move Kevin Reynolds should do and really he should have done it years ago while he was still competing junior internationally. Nam would have no chance into blossoming into a good senior if he stayed with Mcleod.

Nam is several years off though and is obviously going through growth spurts and technique changes this year.

IMO , the Canadian men's cupboard is even barer than the women. There are at least glimmers of hope among the women and the technical content of the novices and junior ladies is at least improving. The technical content of the Canadian men at the junior and novice levels is going down particularly at the novice level.
    Last edited by nadster; 10-14-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Custom Title
    I agree that the men coming up behind Chan aren't all that promising.

Reynolds seems stuck in a technical rut that he can't get out of. He's now 22, and it doesn't seem likely that even if he left McLeod, he could successfully re-learn his jump technique.

Ten seems perpetually injured, and even when healthy, he is an inconsistent jumper.

Rogozine is a powerful jumper, but he is more a Stojko type skater than a Browning. His presentation skills need considerable work.

Nam is only 14, so he is still a work in progress. At least he has gotten away from McLeod. Roman Sadovsky is also very young, and does show some promise.

I agree that there are currently more promising young women than men.

Custom Title
    f that's good that Nam his away from McLeod. Sadly for whatever reason she has not been able to fully utilize the talents of her skaters and they tend to have axel problems. I am not sure whose fault but for whatever reason her skaters have all sorts of problems - mentally, jumps, consistency - but show potential - Sandhu, Leung et all.

I am sure this sounds crazy but I actually think Buttle who retired before 2010 could come back and compete and easily win Canada's second men's spot and have a great chance stil lat top 8 despite not training a quad and using the axel in a limited fashion. His PCS imho are equal to Patrick and Daisuke. He won't score as high because of his limited technical skills though. His spins are better than Chan's the only problem would be his limited arsenal of jumps but he still has the triple axel and the triple flip triple toe. Regardless of pcs his tes are still second best to Chan in Canada axel or no axel. He could help Canada at the Oly's by doing a clean short triple flip triple toe, triple lutz and triple axel. Let Chan skate the free. Canada is not like the US which has a huge pool of top level men.

Tripping on the Podium
    Who is coaching Nam now?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by from the sidelines View Post
    Who is coaching Nam now?
    Orser.

Custom Title
    That's awesome. I still think though that Jeffrey Buttle with his current skates in Japan would be No. 2 in Canada; he should come back even if he couldn't win a medal individually he could win one as a team member. I am just amazed his quality is more than there = it actually competes with Chan and Tak.

Custom Title
    I've always liked Ten too. If he could ever put it all together ... how many times have we said that about how many skaters?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast