Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Canada's "other" men

Custom Title
    Time to bump this up, since two of the 'other men' competed at Skate Canada - Eladj Baldé and Liam Firus. Eladj skated well in the short program, where he met the ISU technical requirements standard for Worlds, and less well in the long program, where he missed the ISU long program standard by about 4 points. His skates met the ISU technical 4CC standards in both the short and long programs, however. Liam had already met the ISU long program standard for 4CC at Salt Lake City, but not the short program standard. He made that here. (He probably met that standard last season already. I haven't checked). He did not meet the Worlds technical standard in either the short or the long program.

Right now for the 'other men' that have skated internationally this season the ranking by scores is (leaving out Patrick Chan):
    1. Eladj Baldé 199.94 (Skate Canada)
    2. Andrei Rogozine 196.27 (Nebelhorn)
    3. Kevin Reynolds 192.12 (Ondrej Nepala)
    4. Jeremy Ten 172.96 (Salt Lake City)
    5. Liam Firus 169.67 (Skate Canada)

All of these men, plus Patrick Chan, have met the ISU 4CC technical standard. However, only three men have met the Worlds standard: Patrick Chan, Kevin Reynolds (last season) and Andrei Rogozine. I suppose if Eladj, Jeremy or Liam make the podium at Canadians, they would still have a chance to meet the ISU standard at 4CC or at one of the other Senior Bs.

(and I suppose we could throw in Nam Nguyen at 171.56, from JGP Istanbul, although he's been skating on the junior circuit and would not be eligible for 4CC because of age, I believe).
    Last edited by geoskate; 10-27-2012 at 09:43 PM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    That's awesome. I still think though that Jeffrey Buttle with his current skates in Japan would be No. 2 in Canada; he should come back even if he couldn't win a medal individually he could win one as a team member. I am just amazed his quality is more than there = it actually competes with Chan and Tak.
    IMO, Jeffrey Buttle > Patrick Chan.

Custom Title
    The revised list after Cup of China is:

1. Kevin Reynolds 202.07 (Cup of China)
    2. Eladj Baldé 199.94 (Skate Canada)
    3. Andrei Rogozine 196.27 (Nebelhorn)
    4. Jeremy Ten 172.96 (Salt Lake City)
    5. Liam Firus 169.67 (Skate Canada)

Kevin Reynolds doesn't have as much of a lead on the other men as I expected he would have based on last season. If either Eladj or Andrei can add a quad to their programs, they could both become definite threats to Kevin's second place ranking in Canada. Jeremy's progress is hard to predict, since he always seems to be fighting injury.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    Kevin Reynolds doesn't have as much of a lead on the other men as I expected he would have based on last season. If either Eladj or Andrei can add a quad to their programs, they could both become definite threats to Kevin's second place ranking in Canada. Jeremy's progress is hard to predict, since he always seems to be fighting injury.
    I can just say that Andrei just landed a fully rotated quad toe in the Central Ontario sectional competition. Granted there was no pressure on him, as he would have a bye to nationals anyway. He messed up the flip combo but landing a quad in competition is a big step for him.

Hopefully Andrei can skate well at nationals as historically he has struggled there even with amazing international performances. I think that he and Kevin will finish 2nd and 3rd at nationals in some order provided that Andrei does not bomb nationals. Andrei has never skated well in senior nationals even in the year when he won JW.

Custom Title
    Surely someone including Skate Canada must be scratching their heads and talking to Reynolds and or his coach. Artistically he has not improved. His techincal elements are consistently inconsistent and this needs to be addressed. He has to have those quads with so little else going for him. For a while it seemed more logical for him to do 2 quad sals in the long and skip the triple axel. I am not sure why he can't see some of the things that have been very apparent - Joanne MacLeod for whatever reason can't develop champions, for whatever reason the axel is a problem with her students as well as jump consistency. I wonder if it is money - Kevin lives in Port Coquitlam BC and BC isn't know for its coaches so much right now. It is too bad he couldn't work with Orser and some of those choreographers like Wilson and Nichol. A stylist (Skater Boy will do it for free) might help too even though I appreciate it may be his look - sometimes one's individuality has its costs. How about a jazzy short program. I always hoped jeremy ten might make his move but that seems less and less likely - a lot of these skaters other than Nam are older than Chan or around his age. And those younger aren't that much. I have to say if Chan places say 4th at worlds this year Canada will likely be down to 2 skaters. It really is unfair to put so much pressure on Chan to win to save 3 spots - the no 2 and no 3 guys have to step up to the plate (Jeffrey if your are listening the ice is calling you!!!!)

Custom Title
    The one good thing is that Nam has seen the light and has moved from Mcleod to Orser this season.

I am not saying that Nam will be the next star but at least he has a chance under Orser. Mcleod would stunt his growth guaranteed.

I don't think Chan would have to fall to 4th for Canada to be reduced to 2 men next season. Even if Chan won Worlds this season, our no 2 would at least have to finish top 12 anyway. The placements of the top 2 added together has to be 13 or less. For each lower placement for Chan , the pressure is bumped up on the #2.
    Last edited by nadster; 11-04-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Custom Title
    I hear you nadster - the way I saw it though is that because Canada no. 2 is so weak and the best they could do is maybe 11th or 12th it puts huge pressure on Chan though the pressure should be on no. 2. The fact that we have no idea who is no. 2 is not a good sign.

Bump because Emanuel Sandhu actually showed up and is competing at the Skate Canada Challenge. I must admit I'm surprised and impressed that he's gone through with it. Though he'll likely qualify for Nationals, he is by no means competitive at the top level in his current form, but whatever he's trying to accomplish - good for him.

Sandhu is 32 years old and has not competed since 2007. Elladj Balde leads after the SP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Bump because Emanuel Sandhu actually showed up and is competing at the Skate Canada Challenge. I must admit I'm surprised and impressed that he's gone through with it. Though he'll likely qualify for Nationals, he is by no means competitive at the top level in his current form, but whatever he's trying to accomplish - good for him.

Sandhu is 32 years old and has not competed since 2007. Elladj Balde leads after the SP.
    Thanks for this update! and I agree with you - whatever his motivations, good for him! I hope to see his skating.

Custom Title
    Seems Sandhu has looked at the men's field past Chan and concluded he had a shot at making it to Sochi in 2014. There does seem to be a vacuum there! Reynolds is awful, Rogozine is a jumping robot, Nam isn't soup yet, Ten can't jump, and Balde is inconsistent.

I saw Eman's FS on skatebuzz. He was slow and there was no 3a, but for a first effort after 5 years, he looked pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I saw Eman's FS on skatebuzz. He was slow and there was no 3a, but for a first effort after 5 years, he looked pretty good.
    I haven't seen it yet, but that seems to be the consensus. I imagine funding is an issue at this point; I'm not sure what he can afford to pay for coaching and choreography.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2