Thread: Why is Mirai Nagasu getting the snub?

Hybrid View

Why is Mirai Nagasu getting the snub?

Given the great number of withdrawals, one would think Mirai would have received a second GP. But yet she has not and the spots have gone to ladies who are farther down the season's best rankings. Perhaps it will all be settled with Kexin Zhang's WD in TEB (maybe Mirai will get that spot), but it's still noteworthy that she's been passed over several times.

Why do you think this is happening? Is it a direct snub, or is Mirai simply the victim of active politicking of other skaters?

Also Mirai made it clear she wanted a second GP at Finlandia, so this is not an Alissa situation we're seeing here.

I agree, it's sad. I've already written my opinion about this many times: after Kostner, Silete, Ando and Zhang retiring (all of them from CoC!), I think it's normal to expect that a skater with her kind of past results and who is in 11th place in the World Standings receives a second GP assignement, but it didn't happen... I don't think this is about politicking, it's just bad luck... Please, ISU, give Mirai a second assignement!!

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I agree, it's sad. I've already written my opinion about this many times: after Kostner, Silete, Ando and Zhang retiring (all of them from CoC!), I think it's normal to expect that a skater with her kind of past results and who is in 11th place in the World Standings receives a second GP assignement, but it didn't happen... I don't think this is about politicking, it's just bad luck... Please, ISU, give Mirai a second assignement!!
    I don't think it is a direct snub for what it's worth. I think it's a combination of luck/politics. We have to keep in mind Mirai was ALREADY GOING to CoC (Unless i'm sorely mistaken) so all 4 of those drops could not help her. The only spot I know of that opened that she could have taken so far was the TEB spot. Have there been other drops and I am just really behind? I think Elena was a decent choice for that slot though ranked lower than Mirai. Being from Europe probably also helped her slightly.

I am hopeful that Mirai will still nab a spot.

Custom Title
    It's frustrating for sure, I definitely feel like she deserves a second spot. She was a silver medalist last year at CoC and she just earned a bronze medal at Finlandia. You would think TEB would want her.

Tulosai is right, Mirai is already going to CoC this year so she couldn't have benefitted from that, but it seems like now would be a good opportunity for Mirai to get her second spot now that Zhang also has withdrawn.

I feel that TEB was set up to be a Worlds showdown with last year's 4CC chamption (Ashley), two former world champions (Carolina, Miki) and two young upstarts (Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaia) plus a showcase for its star skater (Silete). But Silete dropped out (replaced by Mae Bernice). Then Kostner and Miki dropped out, so suddenly TEB decided to be a mini-Euros instead given that 3 of the 4 spots (the fourth being France's host pick) were given to Eurpoean skaters. Though it doesn't quite explain why Gao got one of those spots.

Custom Title
    I'd sort of get it if she was 36th or something, but it's ridiculous that #11 is likely to end up without a second event. It'll especially be a shame if she kills it at CoC as right now it looks like this could very well be a comeback season for her.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    after Kostner, Silete, Ando and Zhang retiring (all of them from CoC!)
    Caroline Zhang? What happened to her? Did I miss something?

Custom Title
    Kexin Zhang - she was the top Chinese ladies skater at Worlds last year, and withdrew from her competitions. Massive disappointment, as she really had potential.

Rinkside
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification!

Has Mirai herself made any comment about this? It would be impolitic to do so, but maybe she did not want to contest the full Grand Prix this season and is content with CoC, an early senior B, and plenty of time to build for Nationals.