Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why is Mirai Nagasu getting the snub?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Well...that's not exactly mathematically symmetrical. Eleventh in the world, 60th in the world.

I guess it's possible that Russia has more power in this Olympic cycle because it has Sochi? In any case, what's done is done.
    Unfortunately for Mirai, I don't think world standings are the main thing influencing these picks. I imagine organizers are weighing a few things such as who might best highlight the event and, relatedly, who might be able to best bring more ticket sales, as well as, possibly, who is least likely to beat their skaters. Combined this makes me totally unsurprised that a European skater got chosen. Her fans are closer to France. Figure skating is more popular in Russia than it is here, and thus more people are likely to travel to see her. And she's not as likely as Mirai to beat Meite.

USFSA is doing what they can best do in the given situation, I think. It seems like everytime Mirai shows a hint of her true potential, people, including myself, have such high hopes, and then she just falls apart under the pressure. For the nth season? I don't even remember. But at the same time she has a special quality that makes people think "This time, it'll be different." USFSA is just waving a seriously red flag to Mirai, considering her "unreliable" like they almost did to Ashley or Caroline. Who knows, maybe this time, it'll be really different and Mirai will have stronger motivation than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Well...that's not exactly mathematically symmetrical. Eleventh in the world, 60th in the world.

I guess it's possible that Russia has more power in this Olympic cycle because it has Sochi? In any case, what's done is done.
    It is actually Glebova who took the spot Mirai could have taken. Again, Mirai is already going to CoC. The drops there do not, cannot, and will not help her. Biyukova took a spot not available for Mirai.

Glebova is ranked 33rd as far as I know. I definitely am very disappointed they gave her the spot over Mirai and think it is crazy. However, there is no point complaining about Biyukova-Mirai could not receive that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    It is actually Glebova who took the spot Mirai could have taken. Again, Mirai is already going to CoC. The drops there do not, cannot, and will not help her. Biyukova took a spot not available for Mirai.

Glebova is ranked 33rd as far as I know. I definitely am very disappointed they gave her the spot over Mirai and think it is crazy. However, there is no point complaining about Biyukova-Mirai could not receive that spot.
    Can I just say thank you. You bring a sense of reason to all of this.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    after Kostner, Silete, Ando and Zhang retiring (all of them from CoC!)
    Caroline Zhang? What happened to her? Did I miss something?

Custom Title
    Kexin Zhang - she was the top Chinese ladies skater at Worlds last year, and withdrew from her competitions. Massive disappointment, as she really had potential.

Rinkside
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification!

Has Mirai herself made any comment about this? It would be impolitic to do so, but maybe she did not want to contest the full Grand Prix this season and is content with CoC, an early senior B, and plenty of time to build for Nationals.

Custom Title
    She's expressed disappointment in not having two grand prix events because she would have liked a shot at the grand prix final, but that's all she's stated publicly. There's a goldenskate article about Finlandia results that quotes her saying pretty much that.

She also mentioned she thought Finlandia was a great start to the season and that she has a lot to work on when she gets home. It's nice to see her talk with such a positive attitude, about her skating and her life. I really hope she's able to pick up a second event this fall. I really do think she's on the upswing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Has Mirai herself made any comment about this? It would be impolitic to do so, but maybe she did not want to contest the full Grand Prix this season and is content with CoC, an early senior B, and plenty of time to build for Nationals.
    her tweets are all about hollywood, cute things, food, dates, and finlandia... I see nothing of the GP or strategy...

Custom Title
    Kexin Zhang's abandoned slot at TEB filled by Jenna McCorkell. There's definitely something going on with the passing over of Mirai. I can only hope it's that the people who need to know, already have the inside tip that Alissa will be withdrawing from NHK and Mirai will get the replacement invite and this has been the plan all along. I truly hope that it's not something more nefarious against her. Her international results do not justify being passed over for way way lesser skaters. Pay attention, ISU.

Custom Title
    I do have to say that I wish the ISU would require that the first group of eligeable replacements all get chosen before making anyone lower on the list an option, and then the same with the next group, and so on.

Edit~ Or at least require that they get invited and pass on the spot before opening up new candidates.

I do think something else to keep in mind though is that the people who are being invited over Mirai are people who did not even have one GP event (for instance Jenna, mentioned two posts above, or Elena). So it isn't as though these lower ranked skaters are being given two slots while Mirai still has one- they are skaters who went to Worlds and who did not receive any GP assignment until now.

I'm a huge Mirai fan. No one hopes more than me that Mirai will get a second assignment, bit I feel like the situation is not always being discussed in a way that reflects the whole picture.

Banned
    It appears Mirai is being treated as a second or even third alternate every time there is consideration to fill a spot. My guess, however, is that she is being "saved" for consideration of NHK once AC decides she needs to withdraw because all she can do are double jumps and a single axel. Mirai would get another GP spot, but also another loooooooong trip to make to Asia which may even disrupt her training at home this fall.

Another thing to consider is this ... is Mirai not being given GP assignments so that she would be REQUIRED to perform in Regional and Sectional Competitions to qualify for US Nationals? In my view, Mirai should be REQUIRED to qualify for Nationals given her poor performances last year, both in the GP series and at US Nationals.

Mirai does NOT deserve a BYE to Nationals this year, and maybe USFS is holding her back to make her earn her spot at Nationals and FIGHT for it and PROVE herself. She has not yet proven herself to be a consistently high-level performer the USFS can count on at EVERY competition to skate well.

I think she should blow off CoC, even though she will get money for it, stay home, train for Sectionals and prove she can still compete at the highest level and restore USFS enthusiasm about her.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    It appears Mirai is being treated as a second or even third alternate every time there is consideration to fill a spot. My guess, however, is that she is being "saved" for consideration of NHK once AC decides she needs to withdraw because all she can do are double jumps and a single axel. Mirai would get another GP spot, but also another loooooooong trip to make to Asia which may even disrupt her training at home this fall.

Another thing to consider is this ... is Mirai not being given GP assignments so that she would be REQUIRED to perform in Regional and Sectional Competitions to qualify for US Nationals? In my view, Mirai should be REQUIRED to qualify for Nationals given her poor performances last year, both in the GP series and at US Nationals.

Mirai does NOT deserve a BYE to Nationals this year, and maybe USFS is holding her back to make her earn her spot at Nationals and FIGHT for it and PROVE herself. She has not yet proven herself to be a consistently high-level performer the USFS can count on at EVERY competition to skate well.

I think she should blow off CoC, even though she will get money for it, stay home, train for Sectionals and prove she can still compete at the highest level and restore USFS enthusiasm about her.

Just my 2 cents.
    Mirai has already been given a bye to Nationals. It is done.

As for the rest, I see no reason why she should have to give up a spot that she earned fair and square (as well as, you note yourself, potentially thousands of dollars) because you think she should have to go to Sectionals. USFSA gratefully does not think so. The rest is Mirai's decision. Not ours.

Additionally, if only the USA had even one performer we could count on at EVERY competition to skate well. That hasn't been the case since Kwan, or actually, for a few years there, Flatt (though that time is through). We may now have it in Gracie or Ashley but I'm withholding judgment till the end of this season. I see no reason to punish or critique Mirai specially when all our other inconsistent performers push on without such punishment or critique.
    Last edited by tulosai; 10-15-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast