Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why is Mirai Nagasu getting the snub?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    There's definitely something going on with the passing over of Mirai. I can only hope it's that the people who need to know, already have the inside tip that Alissa will be withdrawing from NHK and Mirai will get the replacement invite and this has been the plan all along.
    That is the only explanation that makes sense.

Although, not really. If everyone already knows that Alissa will not be going to NHK, why the charade?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That is the only explanation that makes sense.

Although, not really. If everyone already knows that Alissa will not be going to NHK, why the charade?
    Yeah. Honestly, I no longer have the confidence in Alissa's integrity that I once did. I'm not at all convinced she wouldn't choose to go even if she does only have double jumps. On the one hand I can't really fault her if she chooses to do so- she did earn one spot fair and square as well. On the other hand, if she does go and is not ready it will be hard not to feel the spot could have gone to someone else, whether that someone is Mirai or not.

^ But then again, it is hard to see any advantage for Alissa to go to NHK if she is not prepared to do her best. She can't make the GP finals no matter what, and if she does not place high she will not make enough money to cover expenses.

It might be more like, some days she feels pretty good, like she is on the road to recovery, and then others days not so much. So she is keeping her options open. Sort of like Michelle at the 2006 Olympics.

Michelle knew in her secret heart that it wasn't going to happen, but she hung in there hoping for a miracle. While at the same time telling Emily Hughes to keep her bags packed.

Custom Title
    ^ But then again, it is hard to see any advantage for Alissa to go to NHK if she is not prepared to do her best. She can't make the GP finals no matter what, and if she does not place high she will not make enough money to cover expenses.

It might be more like, some days she feels pretty good, like she is on the road to recovery, and then others days not so much. So she is keeping her options open. Sort of like Michelle at the 2006 Olympics.

Michelle knew in her secret heart that it wasn't going to happen, but she hung in there hoping for a miracle. While at the same time telling Emily Hughes to keep her bags packed.
    Well, there is some history from last year. There was a competition called the Challenge Cup in March, a couple weeks before Worlds. Kostner was entered and scored 132 in the FS in a tune up for Nice. Alissa was entered, also in a tune up, but scored 92, 40 points behind in just the FS portion and just a couple weeks before worlds. Alissa may not have known the exact problem, but she had a strong idea she would not be skating her best in Nice. I realize giving up a GP slot isn't the same as giving up a precious world's spot you have earned. I am sure the Czisny camp would like Alissa to have a competition this year before Nationals, as long as Alissa is physically able, even if Alissa is not at her best.

Custom Title
    If everyone already knows that Alissa will not be going to NHK, why the charade?
    Why does everyone know this? Alissa has had a history of fall-filled bad competitions and has never withdrawn. Why start now? It's sounding more and more like wishful thinking rationalizing that maybe Mirai will get a 2nd spot.

People are speculating due to the nature of the surgery and recovery Alissa had and is going through for her hip.

Plus, the mere fact that skaters like McCorkell have been chosen as replacements ahead of Mirai makes it seem like something is up. Mirai is popular in Japan and would make an excellent addition to the cast of the show at NHK.

Then again, if Mirai wins Cup of China the Japanese Federation might not want her to get a second assignment and a chance to knock one of the Japanese girls out of the finals.

Then again, if Mirai wins Cup of China the Japanese Federation might not want her to get a second assignment and a chance to knock one of the Japanese girls out of the finals.
    I think this is a lot of what it is. Mirai is the ultimate wildcard for basically every federation. If she goes to Skate America that means that IF she does well she could knock off another American lady - since she has a good chance of that and we want more than one skater in the final we send her somewhere else. Problem is if we want her to get two spots, the other feds have to want to take her - but she may bump one of their hopefuls off.

At the same time if she BOMBS then do we want her as a headliner? probably not.

We just don't know which Mirai will show up on any given day.

Custom Title
    At this point I feel like this skater has as good a chance of getting a gp spot as anyone else...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuG9i5cwGW0

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    At this point I feel like this skater has as good a chance of getting a gp spot as anyone else...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuG9i5cwGW0
    must ... not be OCD ... about her ruining her skates ... arghhhhh!!

Custom Title
    I'm sorry but when someone like Biryukova who hasn't ever come close to medaling at a ISU or GP event is getting two assignments something is up. Also MCorkell and Gleova getting picked over Mirai is a joke also. I guess the French Fed doesn't want someone who will most likely beat there skaters even though no French Lady has a chance to medal anyways bit it still stinks.

Custom Title

It is hard to face reality when the dream or a dream has come to an end. Sadly other people get victimized too.

Custom Title
    Is Mira really getting snubbed? Well I guess by her ranking world wise but in some ways how do you get two assignments when you aren't even on your national team (not in top 5). I am not sure it is really a snub I can see the desire to have skaters from all over the world and not just the USA.

Custom Title
    Polina Shelepen placed 10th at Russian Nationals, Biryukova placed 9th - they both have two assignments. I don't have much to complain about Biryukova though, her second assignment was CoC where Mirai is already slotted, and she certainly was very close to a international medal last year at CoR, her season's best was #15, so I think she started off in the same group as Mirai when alternates were first released.
    Last edited by burntBREAD; 10-17-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Polina Shelepen placed 10th at Russian Nationals, Biryukova placed 9th - they both have two assignments.
    This is only in regards to Biryukova, and it really is the last time I will say it. The spot she took most recently was not available for Mirai. Unless you are arguing she should never have had one assignment to begin with (which, in my reading, is not what people are arguing) it is pointless to be talking about her taking something from Mirai.

To the extent that what people are saying is that it should not matter much if Mirai placed in the top 5 at Nationals, I will agree to that.

As regards Shelepin did she not earn two places? Do Junior grand prix finals medalists get one or two if they move up to seniors? I am sometimes confused by the ever shifting rules.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast