Why is Mirai Nagasu getting the snub? | Golden Skate

Why is Mirai Nagasu getting the snub?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Given the great number of withdrawals, one would think Mirai would have received a second GP. But yet she has not and the spots have gone to ladies who are farther down the season's best rankings. Perhaps it will all be settled with Kexin Zhang's WD in TEB (maybe Mirai will get that spot), but it's still noteworthy that she's been passed over several times.

Why do you think this is happening? Is it a direct snub, or is Mirai simply the victim of active politicking of other skaters?

Also Mirai made it clear she wanted a second GP at Finlandia, so this is not an Alissa situation we're seeing here.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I agree, it's sad. I've already written my opinion about this many times: after Kostner, Silete, Ando and Zhang retiring (all of them from CoC!), I think it's normal to expect that a skater with her kind of past results and who is in 11th place in the World Standings receives a second GP assignement, but it didn't happen... :confused: I don't think this is about politicking, it's just bad luck... Please, ISU, give Mirai a second assignement!!

tulosai

Record Breaker
I agree, it's sad. I've already written my opinion about this many times: after Kostner, Silete, Ando and Zhang retiring (all of them from CoC!), I think it's normal to expect that a skater with her kind of past results and who is in 11th place in the World Standings receives a second GP assignement, but it didn't happen... :confused: I don't think this is about politicking, it's just bad luck... Please, ISU, give Mirai a second assignement!!

I don't think it is a direct snub for what it's worth. I think it's a combination of luck/politics. We have to keep in mind Mirai was ALREADY GOING to CoC (Unless i'm sorely mistaken) so all 4 of those drops could not help her. The only spot I know of that opened that she could have taken so far was the TEB spot. Have there been other drops and I am just really behind? I think Elena was a decent choice for that slot though ranked lower than Mirai. Being from Europe probably also helped her slightly.

I am hopeful that Mirai will still nab a spot.

samson

Medalist
It's frustrating for sure, I definitely feel like she deserves a second spot. She was a silver medalist last year at CoC and she just earned a bronze medal at Finlandia. You would think TEB would want her.

Tulosai is right, Mirai is already going to CoC this year so she couldn't have benefitted from that, but it seems like now would be a good opportunity for Mirai to get her second spot now that Zhang also has withdrawn.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I feel that TEB was set up to be a Worlds showdown with last year's 4CC chamption (Ashley), two former world champions (Carolina, Miki) and two young upstarts (Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaia) plus a showcase for its star skater (Silete). But Silete dropped out (replaced by Mae Bernice). Then Kostner and Miki dropped out, so suddenly TEB decided to be a mini-Euros instead given that 3 of the 4 spots (the fourth being France's host pick) were given to Eurpoean skaters. Though it doesn't quite explain why Gao got one of those spots.

Kissx3

Final Flight
I'd sort of get it if she was 36th or something, but it's ridiculous that #11 is likely to end up without a second event. It'll especially be a shame if she kills it at CoC as right now it looks like this could very well be a comeback season for her.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
IMO, the French do not want a third USA lady at TEB. So unless the ISU holds a gun to their heads, likely Mirai will keep getting passed over for any other spot that has opened up for that competition.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe some of the federations are afraid that Mirai could knock their skater off the podium. She has huge potential we know probably to be world champ if she skated her best.

fairly4

Medalist
she isn't getting the snub, she finished 7th at nationals most times nationals don't get 1 gp assignment. she got 1 assignment.
due to withdrawals she might get 2. for me she should only get 1.

mirai has skated to her potential. this is her best. (she should get one) as ususal the easy assignments.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For the past two years, Mirai hasn't exactly been a standout performer. Every now and then she turns in a exceptional performance, but then follows it up with another blah effort. Much of the time, she skates as if her heart weren'
t in it---her 2012 Nationals performances were of that ilk.

If a skater can't crank up the enthusiasm for Nationals, she can't expect her federation to shower her with the best competitive opportunities. If USFS had wanted to make sure Mirai got 2 GPs, they would have given her Skate America. That they didn't tells the story.

janetfan

Match Penalty
For the past two years, Mirai hasn't exactly been a standout performer. Every now and then she turns in a exceptional performance, but then follows it up with another blah effort. Much of the time, she skates as if her heart weren'
t in it---her 2012 Nationals performances were of that ilk.

If a skater can't crank up the enthusiasm for Nationals, she can't expect her federation to shower her with the best competitive opportunities. If USFS had wanted to make sure Mirai got 2 GPs, they would have given her Skate America. That they didn't tells the story.

I respect that you are typically fair (even if I disagree with you alot) but why do you think skaters with lower world rankings and lesser achievements deserve better opportunities than Mirai?

Surely it can;t be because she has never been your favorite?

That feels the same to me as saying ISU, the CoP the whole thing you regard as a legitimate sport is totally bogus.

Which is it?

Just feelings and favoritism are what counts - and the rest of your so called sport is a meaningless fraud?

heyang

Record Breaker
I tend to agree with some of the posters citing Mirai's recent results at Nationals. She was definitely a spark plug during the Olympics, but she's been on a down hill curve since then. There's still a possibility that she'll find the competitive fire, but she really has to find it this season.

IMHO, the federations want to send skaters who will compete. Mirai hasn't proven herself in that regard. Given the years of opportunity, I think the USFSA wants to see what the up and comers might be able to do.

BTW, I enjoy Mirai. I really hope she finds herself - whether it be in skating or not.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I don't think Mirai will be passed for the 3rd time, she should get either CoC or TEB
there are only a few to choose from left Glebova, McCorell, Flatt ? lol

Last edited:
^ Glebova got the Eric Bompard spot.

Mirai already has Cup of China. Sofia Biyukova picked up Miki Ando's spot in Cup of China. Now Biyukova has two events, Cup of China and NHK. Biryukova came in ninth at Russian Nationals last year and is ranked 60th in the ISU world standings.

Well...that's not exactly mathematically symmetrical. Eleventh in the world, 60th in the world.

I guess it's possible that Russia has more power in this Olympic cycle because it has Sochi? In any case, what's done is done.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Well...that's not exactly mathematically symmetrical. Eleventh in the world, 60th in the world.

I guess it's possible that Russia has more power in this Olympic cycle because it has Sochi? In any case, what's done is done.

Unfortunately for Mirai, I don't think world standings are the main thing influencing these picks. I imagine organizers are weighing a few things such as who might best highlight the event and, relatedly, who might be able to best bring more ticket sales, as well as, possibly, who is least likely to beat their skaters. Combined this makes me totally unsurprised that a European skater got chosen. Her fans are closer to France. Figure skating is more popular in Russia than it is here, and thus more people are likely to travel to see her. And she's not as likely as Mirai to beat Meite.

USFSA is doing what they can best do in the given situation, I think. It seems like everytime Mirai shows a hint of her true potential, people, including myself, have such high hopes, and then she just falls apart under the pressure. For the nth season? I don't even remember. But at the same time she has a special quality that makes people think "This time, it'll be different." USFSA is just waving a seriously red flag to Mirai, considering her "unreliable" like they almost did to Ashley or Caroline. Who knows, maybe this time, it'll be really different and Mirai will have stronger motivation than ever.

tulosai

Record Breaker

It is actually Glebova who took the spot Mirai could have taken. Again, Mirai is already going to CoC. The drops there do not, cannot, and will not help her. Biyukova took a spot not available for Mirai.

Glebova is ranked 33rd as far as I know. I definitely am very disappointed they gave her the spot over Mirai and think it is crazy. However, there is no point complaining about Biyukova-Mirai could not receive that spot.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It is actually Glebova who took the spot Mirai could have taken. Again, Mirai is already going to CoC. The drops there do not, cannot, and will not help her. Biyukova took a spot not available for Mirai.

Glebova is ranked 33rd as far as I know. I definitely am very disappointed they gave her the spot over Mirai and think it is crazy. However, there is no point complaining about Biyukova-Mirai could not receive that spot.

Can I just say thank you. You bring a sense of reason to all of this. :yes: