Why is Mirai Nagasu getting the snub? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why is Mirai Nagasu getting the snub?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Kexin Zhang - she was the top Chinese ladies skater at Worlds last year, and withdrew from her competitions. Massive disappointment, as she really had potential.

Has Mirai herself made any comment about this? It would be impolitic to do so, but maybe she did not want to contest the full Grand Prix this season and is content with CoC, an early senior B, and plenty of time to build for Nationals.

samson

Medalist
She's expressed disappointment in not having two grand prix events because she would have liked a shot at the grand prix final, but that's all she's stated publicly. There's a goldenskate article about Finlandia results that quotes her saying pretty much that.

She also mentioned she thought Finlandia was a great start to the season and that she has a lot to work on when she gets home. It's nice to see her talk with such a positive attitude, about her skating and her life. I really hope she's able to pick up a second event this fall. I really do think she's on the upswing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Has Mirai herself made any comment about this? It would be impolitic to do so, but maybe she did not want to contest the full Grand Prix this season and is content with CoC, an early senior B, and plenty of time to build for Nationals.

her tweets are all about hollywood, cute things, food, dates, and finlandia... I see nothing of the GP or strategy...

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Kexin Zhang's abandoned slot at TEB filled by Jenna McCorkell. There's definitely something going on with the passing over of Mirai. I can only hope it's that the people who need to know, already have the inside tip that Alissa will be withdrawing from NHK and Mirai will get the replacement invite and this has been the plan all along. I truly hope that it's not something more nefarious against her. Her international results do not justify being passed over for way way lesser skaters. Pay attention, ISU.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I do have to say that I wish the ISU would require that the first group of eligeable replacements all get chosen before making anyone lower on the list an option, and then the same with the next group, and so on.

Edit~ Or at least require that they get invited and pass on the spot before opening up new candidates.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I do think something else to keep in mind though is that the people who are being invited over Mirai are people who did not even have one GP event (for instance Jenna, mentioned two posts above, or Elena). So it isn't as though these lower ranked skaters are being given two slots while Mirai still has one- they are skaters who went to Worlds and who did not receive any GP assignment until now.

I'm a huge Mirai fan. No one hopes more than me that Mirai will get a second assignment, bit I feel like the situation is not always being discussed in a way that reflects the whole picture.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
It appears Mirai is being treated as a second or even third alternate every time there is consideration to fill a spot. My guess, however, is that she is being "saved" for consideration of NHK once AC decides she needs to withdraw because all she can do are double jumps and a single axel. Mirai would get another GP spot, but also another loooooooong trip to make to Asia which may even disrupt her training at home this fall.

Another thing to consider is this ... is Mirai not being given GP assignments so that she would be REQUIRED to perform in Regional and Sectional Competitions to qualify for US Nationals? In my view, Mirai should be REQUIRED to qualify for Nationals given her poor performances last year, both in the GP series and at US Nationals.

Mirai does NOT deserve a BYE to Nationals this year, and maybe USFS is holding her back to make her earn her spot at Nationals and FIGHT for it and PROVE herself. She has not yet proven herself to be a consistently high-level performer the USFS can count on at EVERY competition to skate well.

I think she should blow off CoC, even though she will get money for it, stay home, train for Sectionals and prove she can still compete at the highest level and restore USFS enthusiasm about her.

Just my 2 cents.

tulosai

Record Breaker
It appears Mirai is being treated as a second or even third alternate every time there is consideration to fill a spot. My guess, however, is that she is being "saved" for consideration of NHK once AC decides she needs to withdraw because all she can do are double jumps and a single axel. Mirai would get another GP spot, but also another loooooooong trip to make to Asia which may even disrupt her training at home this fall.

Another thing to consider is this ... is Mirai not being given GP assignments so that she would be REQUIRED to perform in Regional and Sectional Competitions to qualify for US Nationals? In my view, Mirai should be REQUIRED to qualify for Nationals given her poor performances last year, both in the GP series and at US Nationals.

Mirai does NOT deserve a BYE to Nationals this year, and maybe USFS is holding her back to make her earn her spot at Nationals and FIGHT for it and PROVE herself. She has not yet proven herself to be a consistently high-level performer the USFS can count on at EVERY competition to skate well.

I think she should blow off CoC, even though she will get money for it, stay home, train for Sectionals and prove she can still compete at the highest level and restore USFS enthusiasm about her.

Just my 2 cents.

Mirai has already been given a bye to Nationals. It is done.

As for the rest, I see no reason why she should have to give up a spot that she earned fair and square (as well as, you note yourself, potentially thousands of dollars) because you think she should have to go to Sectionals. USFSA gratefully does not think so. The rest is Mirai's decision. Not ours.

Additionally, if only the USA had even one performer we could count on at EVERY competition to skate well. That hasn't been the case since Kwan, or actually, for a few years there, Flatt (though that time is through). We may now have it in Gracie or Ashley but I'm withholding judgment till the end of this season. I see no reason to punish or critique Mirai specially when all our other inconsistent performers push on without such punishment or critique.

Last edited:
There's definitely something going on with the passing over of Mirai. I can only hope it's that the people who need to know, already have the inside tip that Alissa will be withdrawing from NHK and Mirai will get the replacement invite and this has been the plan all along.

That is the only explanation that makes sense.

Although, not really. If everyone already knows that Alissa will not be going to NHK, why the charade?

tulosai

Record Breaker
That is the only explanation that makes sense.

Although, not really. If everyone already knows that Alissa will not be going to NHK, why the charade?

Yeah. Honestly, I no longer have the confidence in Alissa's integrity that I once did. I'm not at all convinced she wouldn't choose to go even if she does only have double jumps. On the one hand I can't really fault her if she chooses to do so- she did earn one spot fair and square as well. On the other hand, if she does go and is not ready it will be hard not to feel the spot could have gone to someone else, whether that someone is Mirai or not.

^ But then again, it is hard to see any advantage for Alissa to go to NHK if she is not prepared to do her best. She can't make the GP finals no matter what, and if she does not place high she will not make enough money to cover expenses.

It might be more like, some days she feels pretty good, like she is on the road to recovery, and then others days not so much. So she is keeping her options open. Sort of like Michelle at the 2006 Olympics.

Michelle knew in her secret heart that it wasn't going to happen, but she hung in there hoping for a miracle. While at the same time telling Emily Hughes to keep her bags packed. :)

b-man

Final Flight
^ But then again, it is hard to see any advantage for Alissa to go to NHK if she is not prepared to do her best. She can't make the GP finals no matter what, and if she does not place high she will not make enough money to cover expenses.

It might be more like, some days she feels pretty good, like she is on the road to recovery, and then others days not so much. So she is keeping her options open. Sort of like Michelle at the 2006 Olympics.

Michelle knew in her secret heart that it wasn't going to happen, but she hung in there hoping for a miracle. While at the same time telling Emily Hughes to keep her bags packed. :)

Well, there is some history from last year. There was a competition called the Challenge Cup in March, a couple weeks before Worlds. Kostner was entered and scored 132 in the FS in a tune up for Nice. Alissa was entered, also in a tune up, but scored 92, 40 points behind in just the FS portion and just a couple weeks before worlds. Alissa may not have known the exact problem, but she had a strong idea she would not be skating her best in Nice. I realize giving up a GP slot isn't the same as giving up a precious world's spot you have earned. I am sure the Czisny camp would like Alissa to have a competition this year before Nationals, as long as Alissa is physically able, even if Alissa is not at her best.

brightphoton

Medalist
If everyone already knows that Alissa will not be going to NHK, why the charade?

Why does everyone know this? Alissa has had a history of fall-filled bad competitions and has never withdrawn. Why start now? It's sounding more and more like wishful thinking rationalizing that maybe Mirai will get a 2nd spot.

mskater93

Record Breaker
People are speculating due to the nature of the surgery and recovery Alissa had and is going through for her hip.

Plus, the mere fact that skaters like McCorkell have been chosen as replacements ahead of Mirai makes it seem like something is up. Mirai is popular in Japan and would make an excellent addition to the cast of the show at NHK.

Then again, if Mirai wins Cup of China the Japanese Federation might not want her to get a second assignment and a chance to knock one of the Japanese girls out of the finals. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Then again, if Mirai wins Cup of China the Japanese Federation might not want her to get a second assignment and a chance to knock one of the Japanese girls out of the finals. :)

I think this is a lot of what it is. Mirai is the ultimate wildcard for basically every federation. If she goes to Skate America that means that IF she does well she could knock off another American lady - since she has a good chance of that and we want more than one skater in the final we send her somewhere else. Problem is if we want her to get two spots, the other feds have to want to take her - but she may bump one of their hopefuls off.

At the same time if she BOMBS then do we want her as a headliner? probably not.

We just don't know which Mirai will show up on any given day.