Why is Mirai Nagasu getting the snub? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Why is Mirai Nagasu getting the snub?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry but when someone like Biryukova who hasn't ever come close to medaling at a ISU or GP event is getting two assignments something is up. Also MCorkell and Gleova getting picked over Mirai is a joke also. I guess the French Fed doesn't want someone who will most likely beat there skaters even though no French Lady has a chance to medal anyways bit it still stinks.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
^ But then again, it is hard to see any advantage for Alissa to go to NHK if she is not prepared to do her best. She can't make the GP finals no matter what, and if she does not place high she will not make enough money to cover expenses.

It might be more like, some days she feels pretty good, like she is on the road to recovery, and then others days not so much. So she is keeping her options open. Sort of like Michelle at the 2006 Olympics.

Michelle knew in her secret heart that it wasn't going to happen, but she hung in there hoping for a miracle. While at the same time telling Emily Hughes to keep her bags packed. :)

It is hard to face reality when the dream or a dream has come to an end. Sadly other people get victimized too.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Is Mira really getting snubbed? Well I guess by her ranking world wise but in some ways how do you get two assignments when you aren't even on your national team (not in top 5). I am not sure it is really a snub I can see the desire to have skaters from all over the world and not just the USA.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Polina Shelepen placed 10th at Russian Nationals, Biryukova placed 9th - they both have two assignments. I don't have much to complain about Biryukova though, her second assignment was CoC where Mirai is already slotted, and she certainly was very close to a international medal last year at CoR, her season's best was #15, so I think she started off in the same group as Mirai when alternates were first released.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Polina Shelepen placed 10th at Russian Nationals, Biryukova placed 9th - they both have two assignments.

This is only in regards to Biryukova, and it really is the last time I will say it. The spot she took most recently was not available for Mirai. Unless you are arguing she should never have had one assignment to begin with (which, in my reading, is not what people are arguing) it is pointless to be talking about her taking something from Mirai.

To the extent that what people are saying is that it should not matter much if Mirai placed in the top 5 at Nationals, I will agree to that.

As regards Shelepin did she not earn two places? Do Junior grand prix finals medalists get one or two if they move up to seniors? I am sometimes confused by the ever shifting rules.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So perhaps then it's not a snub against Mirai, but rather successful persuasion from the Russian fed to give their girls spots. As I noted in another thread, the number of ladies spots Russia received increased by quite a bit this year.

burntBREAD

Medalist
This is only in regards to Biryukova, and it really is the last time I will say it. The spot she took most recently was not available for Mirai. Unless you are arguing she should never have had one assignment to begin with (which, in my reading, is not what people are arguing) it is pointless to be talking about her taking something from Mirai.

To the extent that what people are saying is that it should not matter much if Mirai placed in the top 5 at Nationals, I will agree to that.

As regards Shelepin did she not earn two places? Do Junior grand prix finals medalists get one or two if they move up to seniors? I am sometimes confused by the ever shifting rules.

If you read my edit, you'll see that I have no problem with Biryukova -- in fact, she probably would have been about as much "robbed" as Mirai if she didn't get a second GP. Shelepen actually got Skate Canada's last host pick spot (no idea why).

Regardless, the point of my post was to show that Nationals placement/"World Team" doesn't really and shouldn't really have an effect on whether OTHER federations (the USFSA only really has power over Skate America) select skaters for their GP.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
If you read my edit, you'll see that I have no problem with Biryukova -- in fact, she probably would have been about as much "robbed" as Mirai if she didn't get a second GP. Shelepen actually got Skate Canada's last host pick spot (no idea why).

Regardless, the point of my post was to show that Nationals placement/"World Team" doesn't really and shouldn't really have an effect on whether OTHER federations (the USFSA only really has power over Skate America) select skaters for their GP.

That is totally fair and I largely agree.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I'm sorry but when someone like Biryukova who hasn't ever come close to medaling at a ISU or GP event is getting two assignments something is up. Also MCorkell and Gleova getting picked over Mirai is a joke also. I guess the French Fed doesn't want someone who will most likely beat there skaters even though no French Lady has a chance to medal anyways bit it still stinks.

Actually you are wrong. Biryukova WAS close to the gp podium. She was 4th at Rostelecom last year because she had a pretty decent skate. She was also first at Finlandia last year. Other than that, though, Biryukova has never really achieved much in her career so far.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually you are wrong. Biryukova WAS close to the gp podium. She was 4th at Rostelecom last year because she had a pretty decent skate. She was also first at Finlandia last year. Other than that, though, Biryukova has never really achieved much in her career so far.

Biryukova has only been competing a senior internationally for two seasons, so she hasn't had a ton of time to establish herself, especially given the competitive program in Russia.

She seems "old" because she's older (18) then the Russian wunderkinds we always talk about that get all the attention and she started on the GP later (she was 16 when she competed at her first GP, the 2011 Rotelecom Cup) The 2012-2013 season is her third.

Mirai is a year older, but she started on the GP at an earlier age -- Her first GP was at 2008 Skate America when she was 15. She basically had an extra two years on Birukova.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Biryukova's been hurt by only having one GP assignment the past two seasons. Both times, she actually skated quite well, 6th ay COR in 2010 in a deep field, and 4th last year but many people, myself included, thought she should have medaled ahead of Sotnikova, it was ridiculous how Adelina scored 2 points higher for her SP with a fall over Sofia's clean skate with a 3-3, but early start order and lack of reputation will do that. In any event, her SB score was close to Mirai's from China, maybe around 5 points lower. I guess with all the younger and more hyped Russian girls on the scene, Sofya tends to get overlooked, but she's certainly likely to beat French ladies and is comparable with Mirai in terms of skating level, scoring potential, PCS, etc - roughly.