Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lysacek out, Mahbanoozadeh in

skating philosopher

Lysacek out, Mahbanoozadeh in

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48513&type=media

Lysacek out due to groin injury.

Tripping on the Podium
    This makes me appreciate even more Johnny Weir. Although I'm certainly not a fan of Johnny's personality I have to admire his guts. He does not only stand by what he said, he even showed up at a Senior B!

I wonder if Lysaceks body can't take all the training anymore? If yes, shouldn't he have found out already - given that he already trained competitively for a year. Than he shouldn't have accepted Skate America and not announced his comeback.

Is this really that shocking? Either from a - he wasn't serious about it, or the guy's pretty injury prone...

still, what a shame... good thing NBC hasn't been gung ho about promoting the event on tv, much less using his face... like last year... :-/

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by figureskatingfan22 View Post
    I wonder if Lysaceks body can't take all the training anymore? If yes, shouldn't he have found out already - given that he already trained competitively for a year. Than he shouldn't have accepted Skate America and not announced his comeback.
    In all fairness, Lysacek sustained the groin injury AFTER he accepted the assignment to Skate America. I saw Lysacek skate at Ice Chips in April and he skated great. Injuries in skating happen all the time. He sustained the groin injury a few days prior to his scheduled August Sun Valley performance. Groin injuries require time to heal and can become a chronic injury if not treated properly. If Lysacek's long term goal is to compete for a spot on the 2014 Olympic team, it is best that he not try to skate competitively until the injury heals completely. I have seen too many athletes try to compete with groin injuries, with the end result being aggravating the injury to the point of needing surgery.

randy gardner tried to play through a groin injury, and it forced a withdraw at the OWG. So I understand why Evan pulled out, I'm just not sure we'll ever see him compete.

Custom Title
    I want to give Evan the benfit of the doubt but it does smell a bit. But mind you his return smelled. Who knows what will happen now.

Custom Title
    After all the announcements recently, with this one injured and that one canceling, my head is in a level 4 spin. I have visions of YouTube videos of Skate America with just music playing and no one on the ice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by figureskatingfan22 View Post
    This makes me appreciate even more Johnny Weir. Although I'm certainly not a fan of Johnny's personality I have to admire his guts. He does not only stand by what he said, he even showed up at a Senior B!

I will put it bluntly. I dont think any of Lysacek, Ando, or Plushenko are willing to go through with their comebacks all the way. Evan will keep stalling with excuses or injury, probably not coming back at all. Plushenko will keep competing at events like Europeans, Russian Nationals, or Cup of Russia only, may compete at the Sochi Olympics and be willing to chance a mediocre showing there, but wont compete at a Worlds. Ando will compete at some fluff event as her swang song sometime in the next year.

Weir is the only one who will go through with his comeback full tilt. I predict it will not be particularly frutiful, and he will never make a U.S World or Olympic team again, and be retired again in a year or two, but I think he will go through and try all he can, including competing anywhere he can. Unlike those others he has nothing to lose, nobody expects him to do well, and in a sense that puts him in a nicer position, he can just try his best with no pressure. Those others were last seen on top, and all deep down know immense failure relative to their last top successes are likely, so each will keep dipping their toes in but no more. It is mostly about staying in the news and endorsement money for them anyway I beileve.

Banned
    Had Evan competed at Skate American and even came 3rd behind Hanyu and Abbott (or heaven forbid lower) that would already be seen as a failure by people including the naive U.S public, some who probably think he is still the best since he won the Olympics (lol) so I understand his being tepid to compete even in something like this, injury or not.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar

Phil Hersh advances the story: quotes from Lysacek + additional reporting

Injured Lysacek out of Skate America
    "Maybe I pushed too hard, too soon"
    By Philip Hersh, Tribune reporter
    8:24 p.m. CDT, October 10, 2012
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7288085.story

Hersh has quotes from Lysacek re his withdrawal from SA.

And Hersh reports:
    "His first planned event after Skate America is to be the U.S. Championships in January, but it is possible Lysacek may now compete in a minor (non-Grand Prix) international event this fall.
    Among those under consideration are the NRW Trophy in Dortmund, Germany, Dec. 5-9 and the Golden Spin of Zagreb in Zagreb, Croatia Dec. 13-16."

ETA:

And per one of USFSA's tweets announcing the withdrawal, the media will hear more from Lysacek tomorrow:
    U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating
    We will have a comment from Evan Lysacek tomorrow after his pre-Skate America event conference call.
    3:13 PM - 10 Oct 12

Best wishes to Mahbanoozadeh!
    Last edited by golden411; 10-10-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    LOL.

And good for Armin.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    LOL..
    IMO, total lack of class to laugh about a skater's injury.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    "Injury".

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    randy gardner tried to play through a groin injury, and it forced a withdraw at the OWG. So I understand why Evan pulled out, I'm just not sure we'll ever see him compete.
    Randy Gardner ‏@theRandyGardner
    @olyphil Good luck to Evan L. Not an easy road ahead that he has chosen.
    6:48 PM - 10 Oct 12

Custom Title
    Certainly wish Lysacek a speedy recovery. I hope there won't be another formal comeback announcement before Nationals.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast