Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kurt Browning, Evgeni Plushenko on similar paths (article)

News Kurt Browning, Evgeni Plushenko on similar paths (article)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...lar-paths.html

Nice article from Kurt about his journey on returning to competition.

It's good to see HIS comments on CoP and the comeback boys.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Yes it is:

How do the competitors do it? These kids are good! My hat, and I'm always wearing a hat, goes off to the skaters all around the world who will be marching towards the 2014 Olympics. I'm glad I tried to compete and for all the extra knowledge that has come my way because of it.
    I look forward to seeing how Kurt's adventure into COP competing affects his commentating. :watch:

1. I think it shows just how much commentators who grew up in the 6.0 system need to go through the lectures/training so that they can actually see it in action and aren't just sitting like the viewer at home who has their own preconceived ideas of what the CoP is and how much they hate change and ya ya ya. Yes, it's not a perfect system, but it's teh system you have to work with - so complain to the right channels and make the best of it until you get the changes you want (which the N. American media can blame themselves for. They wanted a change to the judging system and they got it).

2. I think it's interesting that he was all complaints about it as a choreographer - but as a skater competing with it he's saying the same things that most olympic eligible skaters have been saying since the CoP started.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Yes, and while we wonder whether eligibles *have* to suck up to the system, Kurt doesn't, and I think that is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Yes, and while we wonder whether eligibles *have* to suck up to the system, Kurt doesn't, and I think that is interesting.
    Me, too. (It's also interesting that while Hamilton was "seen sucking up" to $peedy to get this pro competition talk started, he never praised the CoP lol but I still say he needs more than a crash course on the CoP before I give all of his rants much credit - especially in the light of what Browning's said.)

Custom Title
    I think this thread title is misleading.

I would watch Kurt Browning if he was skating on frozen bath water. Don't care what set of rules he's skating under. But I can see where the challenges of a choreographer under CoP would be quite different than a skater.

it's the title of the article.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I think this thread title is misleading.

I would watch Kurt Browning if he was skating on frozen bath water. Don't care what set of rules he's skating under. But I can see where the challenges of a choreographer under CoP would be quite different than a skater.
    I think you'll have a lot of people agreeing with you about Kurt. Permit me to be the first in line to do so.

What a lovely article. Not only could I watch Kurt skate all day, I'd read what he writes anytime.

As for your point about choreography, I've often wondered what kind of massive adaptation choreographers had to achieve to gear themselves up for CoP skating. These days, they have to execute some pretty complex math to get every possible point into a program. I notice that we don't hear much from some of the old stalwarts of choreography. This is one reason I so admire Lori Nichol. She was one of the most creative and musical choreographers of the 6.0 era. Then in the last Olympics, she crafted not one but two gold-medal long programs.
    Last edited by Olympia; 10-14-2012 at 09:22 PM.

I thought that it's the coaches who are responsible with working with the choreographers when it comes to the technical...

Custom Title
    I'm sure it is, Toni, but it's the choreographers who have to make it look as if the skaters are actually moving to the music. A coach can't achieve that effect unless the coach is also, like Zoueva or Moskvina, the choreographer.

[QUOTE=Bluebonnet;666401]It's not the best title to reflect the content of the article. But I take it that you haven't read it. Because if you have, you would have known that Kurt wasn't comparing him with Plushenko on Olympic medal counts.[/QUoute]

Most likely he didn't even come up with the title, the Editor did.

Custom Title
    Normally I'd say that it was ill-advised of the editors to use that title, because it is a bit misleading. But Kurt wrote the article, and he begins by saying that he and Evgeny have something in common. So it's entirely justified to use the title because Kurt himself set up the parallel.

As for arguing about similarities or lack thereof, though Kurt had bad luck at the Olympics, he does have four world championships and has been dominant both as an eligible skater and a pro skater (in pro competitions as well as shows). I don't think Plushenko would mind having Kurt Browning imply that the two skaters are in some way comparable. As an admirer of both skaters, I certainly don't find it out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Normally I'd say that it was ill-advised of the editors to use that title, because it is a bit misleading. But Kurt wrote the article, and he begins by saying that he and Evgeny have something in common. So it's entirely justified to use the title because Kurt himself set up the parallel.

As for arguing about similarities or lack thereof, though Kurt had bad luck at the Olympics, he does have four world championships and has been dominant both as an eligible skater and a pro skater (in pro competitions as well as shows). I don't think Plushenko would mind having Kurt Browning imply that the two skaters are in some way comparable. As an admirer of both skaters, I certainly don't find it out of place.
    For being a "not so great" a lot of "greats" have listed him as one of the best of all time or at the very least have said they wanted to be like him. For being "not so great" he sure has outlasted a lot of greats...

and yeah, he was upset when he didn't see his dream come true - but it led to a career he never dreamed of anyway... and he's got a very full life without it. I say he wins in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    What a lovely article. Not only could I watch Kurt skate all day, I'd read what he writes anytime.
    His dad was a good writer as well - did you ever see his articles for one of the papers in his area a few years before he passed away? They were fantastic. Sometimes about Kurt, sometimes about skating, most of the time just about life and what was good about it and what one could do to appreciate it, etc.

Dewey was awesome, it's no wonder his youngest son is awesome.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast