Kurt Browning, Evgeni Plushenko on similar paths (article) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kurt Browning, Evgeni Plushenko on similar paths (article)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Again, anyone know what Sandra bezic is up to these days re choreography?

I haven't heard anything. A few years back she decided she wasn't going to choreograph anymore, she did relax that statement and I think she worked on a few exhibitions, but with her hate of the CoP I don't see her doing anything of a competitive program anytime soon. I could be wrong, though.

giulia95

Medalist
I disagree Let's talk that his Hanyu peice was a piece of crap as you so eloquently feel. But that's skating...one man's master piece makes another cringe. Hanyu has to learn to be more controllled and he is not maybe up to Browning footwork.

About Hanyu new stripping EX, maybe the footwork it’s too difficult for him because he doesn’t even know how to stay on the blades, but it’s very shocking and not age appropriate how it builds the sexual objectification of a male teen skater .:disapp:

But at NHK, in his hometown rink, Yuzu will skate his EX to a japanese music, choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto, dressed in a japanese traditional outfit… a clear thinking and a strong message from the kid!… :laugh:

About Hanyu new stripping EX, maybe the footwork it’s too difficult for him because he doesn’t even know how to stay on the blades, but it’s very shocking and not age appropriate how it builds the sexual objectification of a male teen skater .:disapp:

But at NHK, in his hometown rink, Yuzu will skate his EX to a japanese music, choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto, dressed in a japanese traditional outfit… a clear thinking and a strong message from the kid!… :laugh:

I'm sorry, maybe I haven't kept up...are you saying that Hanyu did an exhibition where he behaved like a stripper, and that Kurt choreographed that for him? Or did Kurt choreograph some other program? Either way, yipes! That kind of program doesn't sound appropriate to me, either, especially for a young skater, but really for anyone.

An exhibition done in Japanese traditional clothing, to Japanese music sounds wonderful, though! I hope you'll call our attention to it if it's ever posted.

Teenes

On the Ice
Hanyu takes off a jacket and still has a t-shirt underneath, on which he draws a heart. I'd hardly call that stripping, anymore than I'm Yours is a stripping number, and Kurt takes off three pieces of clothing in that. Kurt's big thing about Hanyu is that he thinks Hanyu is super talented, and needs to realize it, that he needs to skate with more confidence and really take command of the ice like a rock star, so the program is designed to encourage him to really go for it and act confident.

Again, people read waaay more into everything Kurt says and does than is actually there.

As an active CBC commentator, Kurt has learned a lot about CoP, but I don't think he loves everything about it, and may not enjoy choreographing for it, but the biggest reason he doesn't do competitive choreography is that he doesn't feel he has the time to really work on a continuing basis with skaters to really refine a competitive program, which isn't fair to the skater. He also doesn't want to be a fulltime choreographer for a living when he's done performing.

Not to toot my own horn, but I actually talked in depth with Kurt about many of these topics here : http://absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=articles&id=2012kurtbrowning1

As for Sandra Bezic, I think she mostly commentates now, and does very little choreography.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Hanyu takes off a jacket and still has a t-shirt underneath, on which he draws a heart.
No, that's not true. He took off his t-shirt too and was in the A-shirt (vest or singlet if you are a Brit or Australian). Then on it he draw a heart. His t-shirt he threw into the crowd. Don't ask me what happened in the dance battle at THE ICE...

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I'm sorry, maybe I haven't kept up...are you saying that Hanyu did an exhibition where he behaved like a stripper, and that Kurt choreographed that for him? Or did Kurt choreograph some other program? Either way, yipes! That kind of program doesn't sound appropriate to me, either, especially for a young skater, but really for anyone.

An exhibition done in Japanese traditional clothing, to Japanese music sounds wonderful, though! I hope you'll call our attention to it if it's ever posted.
It was in the show thread a couple of months ago: his new EX with Sashida, choreo by Miyamoto. Here Yuzu is in the kimono costume for this number: http://now.ameba.jp/sashidafumiya/1351909114/ (here is a more "close" pic from the magazine but I don't think it's that successful: http://twitpic.com/b1v0gi ). Here is this musician is talking about his feeling on working with Hanyu: http://ohheyjamiee.tumblr.com/post/30782759112/fumiya-sashida-2012-09-03-fantasy-on-ice-2012-in :)

Last edited:

giulia95

Medalist
. Kurt's big thing about Hanyu is that he thinks Hanyu is super talented, and needs to realize it, that he needs to skate with more confidence and really take command of the ice like a rock star, so the program is designed to encourage him to really go for it and act confident.

I think Hanyu knows to be supertalented and knows how to get the audience crazy in love with him..:laugh:

The sexual objectification theme has been building consistently with Yuzuru's performances since the first appearance at DOI 2012... the only exception is the new Notre Dame FS fortunately.:disapp:

I didn't like that drift of skating when Candeloro did it, and he was half joking about it. I certainly don't enjoy it with Hanyu. Well, better a guy than a girl, I suppose....that would be really unsettling. But I hope Hanyu outgrows this phase. He has so much sizzle just in the quality of his skating that he doesn't need this artificial provocative stuff.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I didn't like that drift of skating when Candeloro did it, and he was half joking about it. I certainly don't enjoy it with Hanyu. Well, better a guy than a girl, I suppose....that would be really unsettling. But I hope Hanyu outgrows this phase. He has so much sizzle just in the quality of his skating that he doesn't need this artificial provocative stuff.

Yes, maybe I'm not too young, but i don't see Yuzu like a sexy man. He is a cute boy, who likes the Teddy bear...And I don't like those moviements in his program. If he will be a sexy man we will see it.. But matter of taste, of course...