2012 Medal Winners Open/Japan Open | Golden Skate

2012 Medal Winners Open/Japan Open

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope this is the right thing to do since I couldn't find those older maybe related threads. I jsut wanted to talk about these two cheesefests. First, the Japan Open portion in particular was very COP competitive even with Chan falling apart.Tak is looking like the front runner now have creamed Chan 2x in a row and landing and rotating the quads. Plushy is showing he is still competitive; he still needs to adjust to COP and improve - spins and pcs (transitions). Chan looks in deep trouble but we'll see how the GP season goes. Coach or no coach he has to land the 2 quads and 3A. Popping jumps not a good sign. Ashley looks very confident, polished and ready to tackle the world. She is the real thing and could win it all that is clear. I am not too sure about Mao. Lots of fans but she hasn't blown me away and the longer it takes for her to show some consistency the less faith I and others will have in her. As well, I still think she needs to figure out the jumps - go for the 3A or clean and no edge calls which is a problem especially with the lutz

The other big thing I think about this competition is that Jeffrey Buttle still has it and would easily be Canada's no. 2 man. He still has the speed, power, polish and transitions. Okay on one 3A but no falls. His style is COP friendly.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
If Canada doesn't have no.2 man, it's their domestic problem. But no more quadless champions if you please. Mao will be fine I think. She looks very healthy, light and confident. Plu has some troubles for now. He again fell and had a stepout in the recent ice show in Russia. They are collecting a competitive prog with two quads and two trixels now, so I think it's physically not that easy yet for him. Hope that he won't push himself too hard. Considering that he has enough time before RN and Europeans, I think he will do well when the time comes.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Agreed about Canada's domestic problem so to speak. But Buttle would be a solution even if he doesn't want to train for the quad his qualities still put him in the top 8 or 10 or heck even 5 if he is clean (and can get the triple axel in the short).