Patrick Chan Article Post Japan Open | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Article Post Japan Open

Ravensque

On the Ice
Well, the last time that happened, he came back with a vengeance to win just about everything in sight :). Go Patrick!!!!!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Well, the last time that happened, he came back with a vengeance to win just about everything in sight :). Go Patrick!!!!!
When was it "the last time it happened"? Last year he won with three falls and didn't need to explain anything, like my-rivals-were-better-ready-so-they-spooked-me stuff. This situation is completely new for him.

CAS

On the Ice
When was it "the last time it happened"? Last year he won with three falls and didn't need to explain anything, like my-rivals-were-better-ready-so-they-spooked-me stuff. This situation is completely new for him.

What did he win last year with three falls? Are you confusing last season with the season before because he started the 2010/11 season with a horrible showing at Skate Canada (four falls, 3 in the short and 1 in the long) and won Worlds in Moscow with incredible skates. Perhaps that is what the poster is referring to because I found his skates this year at Japan Open as dispressing and abysmal as 2010 Skate Canada.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Great article! I'm happy Patrick is optimist and that he's working hard, I wish him all the best for SC: let's prove everyone that you can still win AND skate good/clean programs! :yes:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really hope Chan gets a technical coach; I am concerned and think it is ridiculous to think that a modern dance teacher can coach figure skating at the top level where spins, footwork and jumps need to behoned. I am not even sure she as a dance teacher even knows what jump combinations are possible etc.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think it's fortuitous that Patrick hit a bump in the road. It will definitely make him work harder and realize everyone is gunning for him. It's so hard to repeat World championships or any other major championship. I'm not saying a person gets complacent but the people you beat in the past are hungrier than ever to take you down. Go Patrick!!!!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I really hope Chan gets a technical coach; I am concerned and think it is ridiculous to think that a modern dance teacher can coach figure skating at the top level where spins, footwork and jumps need to behoned. I am not even sure she as a dance teacher even knows what jump combinations are possible etc.

Yes, it was my thought as well when i read that he changed his coach.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Chan continues to mystify me. I just don't get him. If he's serious about improving artistically, it seems like his top priority would have been creating two awesome new programs he was excited about. He's had 5 months to work on it. Yet he shows up at his first event not comfortable with or committed to the programs?? Why not? And, at his level, I'm surprised how often simple motivation seems to be a problem for him. You don't hear Takahashi or Plushenko or Lysacek complain about being unmotivated. It's just odd.

gmyers

Record Breaker
So he thought it's the Japan open everyone won't be totally ready and then saw plushenko and Takahashi and was like they are so ready and got nervous. That's a little strange like why was he like taking it easy? Maybe it is no fs coach.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So he thought it's the Japan open everyone won't be totally ready and then saw plushenko and Takahashi and was like they are so ready and got nervous. That's a little strange like why was he like taking it easy? Maybe it is no fs coach.

Or maybe it's just a sign that he doesn't take the JO as seriously as the GP events?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Chan continues to mystify me. I just don't get him. If he's serious about improving artistically, it seems like his top priority would have been creating two awesome new programs he was excited about. He's had 5 months to work on it. Yet he shows up at his first event not comfortable with or committed to the programs?? Why not? And, at his level, I'm surprised how often simple motivation seems to be a problem for him. You don't hear Takahashi or Plushenko or Lysacek complain about being unmotivated. It's just odd.

Patrick said, he wants to try other sports.. Maybe he doesn't love so much the FS...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Chan continues to mystify me. I just don't get him. If he's serious about improving artistically, it seems like his top priority would have been creating two awesome new programs he was excited about. He's had 5 months to work on it. Yet he shows up at his first event not comfortable with or committed to the programs?? Why not?

Lori Nichol knows Patrick's skating skills and rhythm extremely well and she choreographed to optimize them. Patrick uses his rhythm for his jumps so a change of choreographer for the most demanding skating program, the competitive LP, can take a lot of adjustments to execute well, especially when both David Wilson and Patrick are pushing the limit with the most difficult and packed program.

And, at his level, I'm surprised how often simple motivation seems to be a problem for him. You don't hear Takahashi or Plushenko or Lysacek complain about being unmotivated. It's just odd.

Training for the figure skating podium is extremely taxing mentally and physically and most skaters do encounter motivational problems at times. E.g. I said at the beginning of 2010-11 season that Takahashi lacked motivation and he admitted so himself by the end of the season. OTOH, early following season, I expected a great season from him because he was healed and motivated. That too was verified by both his words and results. Many skaters do talk about their mental issues and occasional loss of motivation, though often after the fact.

Patrick said, he wants to try other sports.. Maybe he doesn't love so much the FS...

He does do other sports all along but figure skating is obviously his intense focus.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Or maybe it's just a sign that he doesn't take the JO as seriously as the GP events?

I think this was it but was then surprised at the level of seriousness that he saw from others! Then could not adjust quickly to a higher level.