Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Patrick Chan Article Post Japan Open

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    Chan continues to mystify me. I just don't get him. If he's serious about improving artistically, it seems like his top priority would have been creating two awesome new programs he was excited about. He's had 5 months to work on it. Yet he shows up at his first event not comfortable with or committed to the programs?? Why not? And, at his level, I'm surprised how often simple motivation seems to be a problem for him. You don't hear Takahashi or Plushenko or Lysacek complain about being unmotivated. It's just odd.
    Patrick said, he wants to try other sports.. Maybe he doesn't love so much the FS...

Custom Title
    Chan continues to mystify me. I just don't get him. If he's serious about improving artistically, it seems like his top priority would have been creating two awesome new programs he was excited about. He's had 5 months to work on it. Yet he shows up at his first event not comfortable with or committed to the programs?? Why not?
    Lori Nichol knows Patrick's skating skills and rhythm extremely well and she choreographed to optimize them. Patrick uses his rhythm for his jumps so a change of choreographer for the most demanding skating program, the competitive LP, can take a lot of adjustments to execute well, especially when both David Wilson and Patrick are pushing the limit with the most difficult and packed program.

And, at his level, I'm surprised how often simple motivation seems to be a problem for him. You don't hear Takahashi or Plushenko or Lysacek complain about being unmotivated. It's just odd.
    Training for the figure skating podium is extremely taxing mentally and physically and most skaters do encounter motivational problems at times. E.g. I said at the beginning of 2010-11 season that Takahashi lacked motivation and he admitted so himself by the end of the season. OTOH, early following season, I expected a great season from him because he was healed and motivated. That too was verified by both his words and results. Many skaters do talk about their mental issues and occasional loss of motivation, though often after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Patrick said, he wants to try other sports.. Maybe he doesn't love so much the FS...
    He does do other sports all along but figure skating is obviously his intense focus.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Or maybe it's just a sign that he doesn't take the JO as seriously as the GP events?
    I think this was it but was then surprised at the level of seriousness that he saw from others! Then could not adjust quickly to a higher level.

It'd explain his "wake up call" comment.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post

He does do other sports all along but figure skating is obviously his intense focus.
    Oh I understand, but I read something like this. Don't remember exactly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Oh I understand, but I read something like this. Don't remember exactly.
    He has talked about trying other sports more seriously after his retirement form competitive fs. But he seems to be more and more motivated to make a mark in figure skating and to help with the next generation of Canadian and other skaters. There is actually a deepening of commitment to the sport that is beyond winning competitions.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 10-18-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    He has talked about trying other sports more seriously after his retirement form competitive fs. But he seems to be more and more motivated to make a mark in figure skating and to help with the next generation of Canadian and other skaters. There is actually a deepening of commitment to the sport that is beyond winning competitions.
    Thank you!

Custom Title
    To quote from the article:

It's early in the season but my turning point of my season was Japan Open," Chan said. "I kind of woke up and came back and really wanted to work hard, was really motivated to do my programs and run my sections and get the jumps more consistent and just give myself more confidence."

Seriously folks, does this sound like a man who isn't motivated? Or isn't interested in fs anymore? I can't see how anyone could have interpreted Patrick's words in any other way but that he's motivated - unless y'all have a hidden agenda!

no hidden agenda, I think it just makes people think when someone says they're shocked people came to compete at a *get this* competition.

Banned
    You don't hear Takahashi or Plushenko or Lysacek complain about being unmotivated. It's just odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    So he thought it's the Japan open everyone won't be totally ready and then saw plushenko and Takahashi and was like they are so ready and got nervous.
    I agree with you that there are too many excuses in the article. Also, too many names got mentioned. Plu didn't skate perfect as well, not even near as good as many expected. But I didn't hear him or Mishin were mentioning any names besides theirs. They said they just collected all jumps under one rough and were not fully ready to present such a prog to the public. They took all reponsibilities on their shoulders and that is all. Here in the article we hear names of Dai and Plu who dared to be fully ready and by this they confused Chan, then we hear names of Krall and Lori who left him in this world, then Wilson who didn't create the prog in which Patrick feels comfortable, and blah-blah. I should consider myself lucky that the Saitama audience, myself including, were not mentioned as one of "guilty" parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Or maybe it's just a sign that he doesn't take the JO as seriously as the GP events?
    Well, actually it makes him look even worse. TV Tokyo paid generously even for the last place. Why to come to the event that he doesn't take seriously, makes it quite clear, if you are right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2