Does Carolina Kostner still have the motivation required to defend her World title? | Golden Skate

Does Carolina Kostner still have the motivation required to defend her World title?

Mao88

Record Breaker
Does Carolina Kostner still have the motivation required to defend her World title?

With Carolina Kostner contemplating retirement last summer and withdrawing from the senior grand prix (having not trained sufficiently to be able to properly prepare in time), does she really still have the drive and motivation required to remain competitive at the highest level? Can she retain her World title?

Undoubtedly, having won the World title already, the only reason why Carolina is still competing is the prospect of becoming Olympic champion. Hence, I think that she will certainly be well motivated during the 2013/14 season. However, I have my doubts as to whether she really has her heart in it as regards the 2012/13 season, and she may sub-consciously just prefer, if she could, to simply press a fast-forward button to next season and competing for the only title left that probably really interests her - the Olympics

All of this begs a wider question. Is there a problem for skaters to remain motivated once they hit their mid 20's, especially once they have a World title in the bag as it were? I think it no coincidence that both Miki Ando and Carolina Kostner have encountered the same problems at roughly the same time in their lives once they have won a World title (or in Miki Ando's case, a second world title). By the time a top flight figure skater reaches their mid 20's, they have been competing for well over 10 years. The intense training that goes with that, together with the travelling, the injuries, the media interest, etc, starts to takes its toll. Hence, for some skaters, it may be the case that it all starts to become too much to handle after over 10 years (i.e. by their mid-20's)?

Last edited:
Oh, golly, I hope she has the motivation. Skaters are dropping like flies. I hope to see all our favorite skaters at Worlds, doing their best work.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't mind seeing her move on and seeing some fresh faces. She may not be that old but she seems to have been around a long time.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't mind seeing her move on and seeing some fresh faces. She may not be that old but she seems to have been around a long time.

Me too. I really don't want to see skaters who have been to the last two Olympics competing yet again in 2014.

I don't know. I still wish the Beatles hadn't broken up and that Michelle was still competing. I always feel that if an interesting skater wants to remain in the game, he or she should go for it. Kostner was at her best this past year. Maybe she'll be even better in the future; who knows? If the baby ballerinas (or someone else) can beat her in fair competition, let them. Otherwise, she's entitled to whatever achievements she can attain. I find her an interesting skater. The only time I have trouble watching her is when she loses her confidence and consistency.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think no o the OP's question, but I hope I am wrong as she was so delightful this past year, with her nerves under control.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Whereas I'm thrilled to have so many veteran skaters still around; Carolina made her debut in 2003, and there will probably be several four-time Olympians in Sochi, which I totally approve of. It's great that skaters now have long careers and can bring greater maturity to their performances. I'll take Carolina and Akiko over the Russian wunderbabies any day!

Since Carolina considered retirement and discarded the idea, I expect that she is very motivated - otherwise she would have concluded that 10 seasons are more than enough. One of the things her boyfriend said after he was caught doping was how much she loves skating, while he didn't feel that way about his sport. After everything she has been through, I assume she wouldn't continue competing if she didn't really want to do it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think she is motivated to train, but I think she was a bit fortunate to win last year, with Yuna and Miki out and Mao out of form. Had any of those three brought their best it would have been difficult for Caro to win with no lutz and just 2 flips over both her programs. Since this is a new Caro, who doesn't completely crumble under the pressure nowadays, she may be able to successfully incorporate the lutz back in her programs. If so she will be tough to beat.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think she just loves skating, she isn't really a "competitor", she just likes training, trying new elements, feeling the emotions that FS can give you, so she may not perform her best this season. However, I don't think that not winning the World or European title again would mean lacking of motivation, she's just tired: last season was really busy for her (3 GP, the final, euros, challenge cup, worlds, team trophy), I agree that the best thing for her would be just skip this season and take a year off. But, if you don't compete at all, I think that you lose the "timing", it gets a while before you're ready again, especially if it's the first time for you. Good luck Caro, I will always support you, the results don't matter if you enjoy your skating! :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No one wants to admit it but I am sure she likes the glamour and limelight too. She knew what she was getting into; I just feel she has had her many gifts and it is time for someone else. She has managed to podium when well it was a splat fest or when someone could have scored higher but they gave it to her. I guess my biased thoughts are that she does not deserve to have the medals or be considered as good as say Irina Slutskaya. The fact that she won without a triple lutz to me is bothersome in this era.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
No one wants to admit it but I am sure she likes the glamour and limelight too. She knew what she was getting into; I just feel she has had her many gifts and it is time for someone else. She has managed to podium when well it was a splat fest or when someone could have scored higher but they gave it to her. I guess my biased thoughts are that she does not deserve to have the medals or be considered as good as say Irina Slutskaya. The fact that she won without a triple lutz to me is bothersome in this era.
What a mean-spirited post. Yes, I'm sure Kostner enjoys performing and some of the benefits that go along with being a successful skater - as most skaters do. She won plenty of events with a 3Lz, and when she lost it due to injury, she went back to the drawing board to see what she could do to compensate. Her programs in recent years have been superb, her jump technique is top-notch, she does difficult steps: why shouldn't all these things be recognized? Why is it a "gift" when they are? Why is it bad of Carolina to omit a 3Lz when past winners couldn't do easier jumps, like 3R and 3S? Give me a break.

Kostner is an extremely talented skater who for years struggled with nerves rather than lack of ability. I am glad to finally see her fulfill her potential.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I did not become a huge fan until she stopped doing the lutz and splatting alot in general. I love her lines and her choreography. If she can skate cleaner without the full arsenal of jumps, I prefer that. I hope she comes back .

daphna

On the Ice
I really want Carolina to make it to Sochi, and finally have the olympic outing she deserves. she has achieved everything in the sport except for a respectful olympic finish, which is probably what keeps her going.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
What a mean-spirited post. Yes, I'm sure Kostner enjoys performing and some of the benefits that go along with being a successful skater - as most skaters do. She won plenty of events with a 3Lz, and when she lost it due to injury, she went back to the drawing board to see what she could do to compensate. Her programs in recent years have been superb, her jump technique is top-notch, she does difficult steps: why shouldn't all these things be recognized? Why is it a "gift" when they are? Why is it bad of Carolina to omit a 3Lz when past winners couldn't do easier jumps, like 3R and 3S? Give me a break.

Kostner is an extremely talented skater who for years struggled with nerves rather than lack of ability. I am glad to finally see her fulfill her potential.

Thank you.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I don't see the mean spirited part-he simply isn't a fan. Carolina comes from Italy where the only other lady we know is Valentina. So I suspect her fed is pushing her now. I am disappointed she isn't really pushing this season. Maybe she has a relaxed attitude toward Sochi-she does love to skate or she would have quit after 2006 or 2010 where she competed so poorly. She was like another skater this past year. I loved seeing her beautiful programs. If it takes no lutz to keep her upright with amazing flow then fine with me. I guess I don't care when someone skates so majestically. I prefer her skating to Yuna's any day. All due respect to Yuna but I don't think any lady will walk off wih Sochi prize. All will work hard and lots of luck will be required. I prefer Akiko to any russian wonderbaby, and I'd love to see another mature latebloomer like her walk off with the prize. Or the fabulous Wagner would be wonderful as well. There are many great ladies-it would be nice to have the veterans take on the youth as in the mens comp. as well.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

It wasn't meant to be mean spirited but then imho Joannie deserved more metals comparatively to Carolina, Mao deserves more world championships than Carolina, heck even Phaneuf from Canada deserved a bronze, Butyrskaya deserved more respect comparatively to Carolina. So many other good skaters have not had the good fortune of Carolina despite being talented. Sorry, I like here but she has been very fortunate comparatively to other talented skaters or even one shot wonders who didn't get their medals. Carolina got lucky the one year she got beaten at Nationals they gave her another chance at Euros wheras if she were in the state she would have had to stay home. Sasha Cohen never got a world or oly gold. Please don't try to misunderstand my comments - I guess we all have our point of view. But justice or fairness comparatively to other skaters she has gotten a lot. Of course it is her life and she can do what she wants too. People I am not trying to be mean spirited but the fact is skating is dying so there is little pro life; skaters are staying competitive trying to make a living too and hoping a world or oly medal might help. I bet if she won Oly Gold in 2010 we wouldn't be seeing Carolina in London in 2013. Ditto for Ssquared and Pang and Tong. It sounds nasty but sometimes we just have to get real; its not always the "Miss America" answer - i skate for the love of skating, to be the best that I can be, because I love skating so much, because I want the honor to represent my country and I hope to hear my natioanl anthem while I stand at the top of the podium etc. etc. etc.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I bet if she won Oly Gold in 2010 we wouldn't be seeing Carolina in London in 2013.

To be fair, every OGM since Witt (aside from Kim) has hung up her skates within a year of winning. I also sense Kwan, Slutskaya, and Cohen would have had they won OGM in 2002. I think Caro was the best at Worlds last year in a weak field, like Meissner was when she won in 2006.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh I concur 110%. And Kim well who really knows if she skates this year I will believe it; if not she is a fence sitter and this is in part because the pro world is really no longer there. I like to see people leave on top; as revered as Michelle is she sort of just petered and faded out. Likewise Sarah Hughes who went on to finish 6th at the next olympiocs while admirably doing other things and poor Maria B who retired in the middle of worlds. I think though in her case age was sadly a bit of a factor.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It wasn't meant to be mean spirited but then imho Joannie deserved more metals comparatively to Carolina, Mao deserves more world championships than Carolina, heck even Phaneuf from Canada deserved a bronze, Butyrskaya deserved more respect comparatively to Carolina. So many other good skaters have not had the good fortune of Carolina despite being talented. Sorry, I like here but she has been very fortunate comparatively to other talented skaters or even one shot wonders who didn't get their medals
That's indeed a personal judgment. Joannie had a shorter career for various reasons, wasn't all that great for part of it, and her peak years coincided with Yu-Na and Mao's best years. That's bad luck, but that's how the sport works; there have been times when other disciplines were weaker or stronger than they are now. Mao has serious technique issues, but she has more world championships than Carolina, so I don't see how she's relevant. Phaneuf, don't make me laugh. When did she deserve a medal that Carolina won? Don't say 2010. That was Laura Lepisto who edged out Cynthia; Kostner was 6th. Butyrskaya was nowhere near as good technically as Kostner and anyone skating against Kwan would have been hard-pressed to get more respect.

Carolina got lucky the one year she got beaten at Nationals they gave her another chance at Euros wheras if she were in the state she would have had to stay home. Sasha Cohen never got a world or oly gold.
What does Sasha Cohen have to do with anything? Is it Carolina Kostner's fault that Sasha couldn't skate two cleanish performances at the same event?

Carolina only got "lucky" with the Nationals/Euros thing insofar as she was not born in the US, where high profile assignments are given almost entirely based on that year's national - a foolish policy, IMO, which has cost the US quite a few times. The Italian Fed elected to send the 2010 European champion to the Olympics; how is that a bad decision? Other European countries also use Euros as the criterion for Olympic/World assignments.

But justice or fairness comparatively to other skaters she has gotten a lot. Of course it is her life and she can do what she wants too. People I am not trying to be mean spirited but the fact is skating is dying so there is little pro life; skaters are staying competitive trying to make a living too and hoping a world or oly medal might help. I bet if she won Oly Gold in 2010 we wouldn't be seeing Carolina in London in 2013. Ditto for Ssquared and Pang and Tong. It sounds nasty but sometimes we just have to get real; its not always the "Miss America" answer - i skate for the love of skating, to be the best that I can be, because I love skating so much, because I want the honor to represent my country and I hope to hear my natioanl anthem while I stand at the top of the podium etc. etc. etc.
Is skating dying in Japan? And do you know how successful the Opera on Ice shows Kostner does in Italy are? Not to mention, who says every skater aspires to a lengthy pro career?

I don't recall Kostner giving "Miss America" answers; she was honest about her doubts whether to continue or not, more than once. A few years ago, when she was at a low point in her career and people were questioning why she was still skating, she said she had things she still wanted to do. She didn't say what they were, but I'm sure she has various goals and reasons for skating. There's no point in oversimplifying it and attributing her decision to continue as a competitive skater to any one reason. The bottom line is that she wants to skate, and there's no reason why she shouldn't.

As for all that stuff about how unjust it is that she's been successful, that's just silly. Skating doesn't work based on justice, or who the most talented in general, or likability, or whatever. It's about bringing it on the day and taking advantage of the opportunities you get. There have been times when Kostner did so, there have been times other skaters have done so. Was Evan Lysacek the best skater in terms of talent in Vancouver? The one with the most impressive career? The best programs? Of course not. But he rose to the occasion, and he was rewarded for it. You can only reward what happens on the ice, not give imaginary medals based on your feelings about a skater's merit in general (though Kostner is a very, very good one). And yes, it does sounds nasty to single out Kostner for something that is just a fact of life and sports: the best (in general) don't always win because they are not always the best on the day. Sometimes people don't get to walk away with the fairytale ending. Not everyone gets a Sarah Meier moment; if they did, those moments wouldn't be as special.

Last edited: