Does Carolina Kostner still have the motivation required to defend her World title? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Does Carolina Kostner still have the motivation required to defend her World title?

I can think of only two basic ways in which Carolina is lucky. One is that she comes from a country that doesn't have a deep field of skaters. She basically earns her own place at Worlds each year. The other is that admittedly this past year, she benefited from a weak women's field.

After those two pieces of luck, everything else Carolina gets has been earned with hard work. In some ways, she's had to work harder than some, because she has had to defeat her nerves. That's a burden YuNa, Michelle, and Mao don't seem to have carried. But this year, she finally won out over her anxiety. Good for her! Everything came together for her, but she was also able to seize the moment. That's due to her efforts.

I hope she keeps going, but several of the other contenders, if they show up in good shape, will very likely do a better job than she. However, you never know! The future is always open, the ice is always slippery, and no victory--or defeat--is assured.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope she keeps going, but several of the other contenders, if they show up in good shape, will very likely do a better job than she. However, you never know! The future is always open, the ice is always slippery, and no victory--or defeat--is assured.

That's why I'm more excited to see Caro this year. She can't get away with last year's technical content and win anymore. Will she continue to be consistent when needing to do tougher jumps? I'm hoping so, because I'd love to see how the judges compare Yuna and Caro when both have similar TES scores.

xzchief

Rinkside
No one wants to admit it but I am sure she likes the glamour and limelight too. She knew what she was getting into; I just feel she has had her many gifts and it is time for someone else. She has managed to podium when well it was a splat fest or when someone could have scored higher but they gave it to her. I guess my biased thoughts are that she does not deserve to have the medals or be considered as good as say Irina Slutskaya. The fact that she won without a triple lutz to me is bothersome in this era.

People will see Carolina Kostner on the list of world champions and there won't be an asterisk. Few will remember the details. It's up to each person to decide if Irina Slutskaya is better than Kostner. If others can't beat Kostner (or other veterans), it's their problem. Kostner doesn't owe any other skater anything.

xzchief

Rinkside
Sure, let's be real. Skaters have what they deserve. If Mao deserved to be a two-time world champion, she'd be a two-time world champion. If Canadians deserved more medals, they'd have more medals. Sasha Cohen doesn't have an World or Olympic gold medal because she didn't deserve one. Carolina had some good fortune and she took advantage of it to become a world champion. Had Kostner won an Olympic gold medal, she probably would have retired. So what? She didn't so she didn't. Therefore, someone you consider to be more worthy failed to beat her at the 2011 Worlds, which means your preferred skater didn't deserve to win.