Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite skating discipline and...why

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    I love your list!
    I'm tempted to put Curling as #11.

The one that I love the most is definitely ladies. Why? Ladies is in my opinion the most graceful discipline. I love to see inventive and really difficult spins. It's both hard and enjoyable to watch. I admire man for doing quads but is it really nice? Beautiful? Just look at the spins of Lucinda Ruh, Sasha Cohen, Caroline Zhang, Mao Asada, Yukari Nakano.

I like both man and pairs at the same level. Man becuase they perform the most difficult elements and pairs because of the variety in their programs. They have throws, side by side jumps, 2 kinds of spins, death spirals and lifts, so it never gets boring .

I really wanted to get into ice dancing but I simply can't After watching one full event it gets so boring. Ice dancing is also easily predictable. I also don't think of it as the real sport. Sure you have to train a lot, but judging here is soooooooo much more subjective.

So the list would go like
    1. Ladies
    (huge space)
    2. Man and Pairs
    (huge space)
    3. Ice dancing

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    For me, I love dance.

It would be like this:

1. dance
    2. pairs
    3. synchro
    4. ladies
    5. compulsory figures
    6. barrel jumping
    7. hockey
    8. short track speed skating
    9. long track speed skating
    10. theatre on ice
    11. men
    wait, you like the disipline you skate in the least?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    wait, you like the disipline you skate in the least?!
    Yep! I really truly want to be a pairs skater. Alas, I'm a short 5'7".

Custom Title
    Stephane Bernadis is 5'8 (his partner is 4'10) Vadim Naumov is 5'9 (his partner was also 4'10) Robin Szolkowy is also 5'9 (his partner is 5'0). All of these guys are "short" by male pairs skating standard, but have had success in the sport. Of course finding a female partner between 4'9 and 4'11 might be more difficult, but probably not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Stephane Bernadis is 5'8 (his partner is 4'10) Vadim Naumov is 5'9 (his partner was also 4'10) Robin Szolkowy is also 5'9 (his partner is 5'0). All of these guys are "short" by male pairs skating standard, but have had success in the sport. Of course finding a female partner between 4'9 and 4'11 might be more difficult, but probably not impossible.
    This is true. Bryce Davison was 5'7", as well. But then again, what if I'm skating with someone, and she has a late growth spurt, like Dan Zhang!

At any rate back to the original topic-- I love dance because I feel that the lack of jumps leads to a lot of creativity. My current annoyance with dance, though, is the proliferation of twizzles. They were used sparingly in the old system. Now...

Custom Title
    Not that it's possible with today's more daring lifts and throws, but both Ken Shelley and Randy Gardner were around 5-8, and their partners, JoJo Starbuck and Tai Babilonia respectively, were only a few inches shorter than they. Rudy Galindo isn't very tall, though of course he was lucky enough to have Kristi Yamaguchi as his partner. She was really tiny at that point.

Custom Title
    B&G used the lack of height difference between them to their advantage, it allowed them to perform their trademark pull Arabian cartwheels.
    Last edited by lulu; 10-19-2012 at 08:37 PM.

1. ladies
    2. men
    3. pairs
    4 dance

yes, first ladies like someone said is very graceful, the beautiful dresses and positions, but Men and pairs are very impressive, pairs can be impressive and graceful, but the problem is that there are few really good figure skaters in pairs. Dance is weird, but obviously V/M and D/W are wonderful.

On the Ice
    I love figure skating, but if I really have to make a list, this would be it:

1. Synchronized skating
    2. Ice dance
    3. Men
    4. Ladies
    5. Pairs

Ice dance and synchro fascinates me the same way, beautiful and deep edges, knee action, interpretation and surprising coreography. I honestly think, that synchro has the best transitions of all the disciplines. Dance- and synchroprograms usually tell a story, I like that.

THen it's really close between men and ladies. I love ethereal and graceful ladies programs, and the strong and powerful mens programs.
    I really like pairs too, but unfortunately I haven't followed pairs as much as the other disciplines.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Précision View Post
    I love figure skating, but if I really have to make a list, this would be it:

1. Synchronized skating
    2. Ice dance
    3. Men
    4. Ladies
    5. Pairs

Ice dance and synchro fascinates me the same way, beautiful and deep edges, knee action, interpretation and surprising coreography. I honestly think, that synchro has the best transitions of all the disciplines. Dance- and synchroprograms usually tell a story, I like that.

THen it's really close between men and ladies. I love ethereal and graceful ladies programs, and the strong and powerful mens programs.
    I really like pairs too, but unfortunately I haven't followed pairs as much as the other disciplines.
    I've been getting more into synchro lately. If it is difficult enough to have unision with two people on the ice, imagine how much more difficult it is with 20 people! I think Synchro skaters are incredibly talented.

Down With It
    Ladies, and that's it really. Well, occasionally I will watch a couple of pair or icedance routines.

1. Men ( by far most interesting) Hanyu, Chan, Takahashi and more
    2. Ice Dance
    3. Ladies
    4. Pairs

Custom Title
    For me, it's:

1. Pairs
    2. Ladies
    3. Men
    4. Ice dance

Actually, I love all four disciplines. But pairs is my favorite. I'm glad to see so many other people choose it as their favorite, too! With the general emphasis on singles in the U.S., and our current success in ice dance, you can feel rather lonely as a pairs fan in America! It's not like Russia or China, where pairs skating has a glorious history and a big fan base.

Custom Title
    Hmmm since theatre on ice was mentioned I wonder if scotch on the rocks would make it? LOL I have to say that I tned to like an event based upon who is skating. SO right now I find men's the most exciting and pairs the least as I don't find anyone that fresh or spectacular. That leaves dance in second followed by the ladies. But if Gold, Tut, Lip, Osmond and Sot start bringing it consistently then my opinion might change.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast