Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Skate America Men's Short Program

Just gotta say, Yuzuru Hanyu - Holy crap!!! 95!!!! His program was so good, and he just keeps amazing me. However, I do have to agree with some of you who said 95 seemed a little high. His program was great, but was it the greatest short program that's ever been done in the history of the current scoring system, therefore deserving the world record? I'm not so sure...

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dots View Post
    The dangerous thing about overscoring a skater in the SP this bad (and it is bad!!!!) is that he can fall apart in the FS and still win. lol
    True, but Hanyu is not normally one to fall apart. He has proven he can be a consistent skater and the judges obviously notice and respect that, as do the fans. GO HANYU!

Rooting for Adrian, Javi and Kevin R!!! :) aemeraldrainc's Avatar
    Awww. I feel bad for Tomas Verner. He looked so dejected.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    All of Jeremy's technical errors added up contributing to the low TES: under-rotated and fall on 4T, a saved 3A that was not up to the quality that he is capable of (he received no +GOE on that element like he usually does), low spin levels (2 Level 3 spins & 1 Level 2 spin), and low step sequence level (only Level 2). He has to get more comfortable on his spins and footwork; other skaters like Hanyu are receiving Level 4s and 3s on those elements.
    Plus, Hanyu received bonus points for his jumps. Great job tonight!! Actually, all the Japanese guys did great!! And they deserved their scores--no politics involved!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Holy cow @ Yuzuru Hanyu's 95+ SP score! Patrick Chan should be very worried.
    The judges will still show Chan some love because of his SS, but if Chan keeps falling and Hanyu keeps skating like this, it may be a battle between Dai and Hanyu for gold. I don't think ISU will continue rewarding Chan the top of the podium with mistakes and risk more audience booing. Jeremy has to work so much harder just for recognition that he's in the top echelon, which he is -- he just has to believe it and show it consistently.

Custom Title
    Just saw Kozuka's program. I like what he is doing with Exodus. I don't think Hanyu was 10 points better.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch17 View Post
    Just gotta say, Yuzuru Hanyu - Holy crap!!! 95!!!! His program was so good, and he just keeps amazing me. However, I do have to agree with some of you who said 95 seemed a little high. His program was great, but was it the greatest short program that's ever been done in the history of the current scoring system, therefore deserving the world record? I'm not so sure...
    Well, the greatest short programs don't always get the highest scores. The highest scores come from knowing how to milk the current scoring system. With that being said, Hanyu had two jumping passes after the half way mark (3A and 3Lz-3T) - racking up bonus marks.

I don't think Hanyu was over-scored, but then again, I am a big fan of his'

You are correct in one aspect in that it is NOT the greatest SP ever done in the history of the COP.
    But remember one important factor: The half-way bonus mark is now integrated into the COP.
    And Hanyu has 2 jumps after the half-mark, two of them garnering approximately 10 points each.
    Multiply each of those elements by 10% and account for those insanely difficult transitions and high-level spins, and you have a new WR score.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    Plus, Hanyu received bonus points for his jumps. Great job tonight!! Actually, all the Japanese guys did great!! And they deserved their scores--no politics involved!!
    Yes, the Japanese guys were good, but they also have a strong fed, and politics is always involved in figure skating.

Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Just saw Kozuka's program. I like what he is doing with Exodus. I don't think Hanyu was 10 points better.
    Agreed, I thought Kozuka showed a refined maturity that I haven't seen before. I really enjoyed how his effortless gliding compliments the majestic tone of the piece, it really translates well.
    There's something about his skating that makes you go wow...

Custom Title
    Well I have to agree Butterscotch - I mean just look at Orser's reaction to the score. Yes - great skate - but I wouldn't call it the best SP to date...my two cents...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy15 View Post
    You are correct in one aspect in that it is NOT the greatest SP ever done in the history of the COP.
    But remember one important factor: The half-way bonus mark is now integrated into the COP.
    And Hanyu has 2 jumps after the half-mark, two of them garnering approximately 10 points each.
    Multiply each of those elements by 10% and account for those insanely difficult transitions and high-level spins, and you have a new WR score.
    Yes, back to the points-grabbing of the current judging system, rather than looking at the overall program's value artistically and technically.

Well, Hanyu will either maintain at this level or dip down a bit. Can't see him going 100 at this point. Let the guy mature a bit more, for goodness sake. He's certainly a phenom, but he's not the best thing since sliced bread, IMHO.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 10-20-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Custom Title
    95 is a high score, but were you guys paying any attention at all to his elements? All of his jumps were not only clean as a whistle, but they were also all preceded by steps (and the axel came out of nowhere immediately following A COUNTER!!!). (I will concede, though that the new jump bonus added the 2 points that made the difference between record-matching and record-breaking.) The merits of his program components are harder to demonstrate in writing, but I never found the former record holder's particularly unmatched, so I think the PCS score wasn't out of the question.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that a visiting federation, however, influential got an overwhelming score boost above and beyond the host federation...

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Yes, back to the points-grabbing of the current judging system, rather than looking at the overall program's value artistically and technically.
    Sorry, I didn't meant it like that.
    Honestly though, his transitions and steps inbetween just leave me in awe, I have never witnessed such elegance and grace throughout the transitions, especially the ones right before the jumps.
    Granted, I do believe that Kozuka should've been much closer to Hanyu, same goes for Abbott

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy15 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't meant it like that.
    Honestly though, his transitions and steps inbetween just leave me in awe, I have never witnessed such elegance and grace throughout the transitions, especially the ones right before the jumps.
    Granted, I do believe that Kozuka should've been much closer to Hanyu, same goes for Abbott
    Agreed. Definitely Hanyu has wonderful skills, but I still feel a lack of maturity in him, particularly in comparison to Dai and Abbott. Of course with how good Hanyu is now, with more maturity, he might just be out of this world. But again, why overdo it with the marks now as if he is so much better than the other guys when he's not. I just don't like seeing crazy, out of sight marks for anyone, even my favorites.

I do feel that Orser has managed to steady and pace Hanyu, as the anointed one often seemed to have trouble with endurance last season.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast