Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does Carolina Kostner still have the motivation required to defend her World title?

Custom Title

Does Carolina Kostner still have the motivation required to defend her World title?

With Carolina Kostner contemplating retirement last summer and withdrawing from the senior grand prix (having not trained sufficiently to be able to properly prepare in time), does she really still have the drive and motivation required to remain competitive at the highest level? Can she retain her World title?

Undoubtedly, having won the World title already, the only reason why Carolina is still competing is the prospect of becoming Olympic champion. Hence, I think that she will certainly be well motivated during the 2013/14 season. However, I have my doubts as to whether she really has her heart in it as regards the 2012/13 season, and she may sub-consciously just prefer, if she could, to simply press a fast-forward button to next season and competing for the only title left that probably really interests her - the Olympics

All of this begs a wider question. Is there a problem for skaters to remain motivated once they hit their mid 20's, especially once they have a World title in the bag as it were? I think it no coincidence that both Miki Ando and Carolina Kostner have encountered the same problems at roughly the same time in their lives once they have won a World title (or in Miki Ando's case, a second world title). By the time a top flight figure skater reaches their mid 20's, they have been competing for well over 10 years. The intense training that goes with that, together with the travelling, the injuries, the media interest, etc, starts to takes its toll. Hence, for some skaters, it may be the case that it all starts to become too much to handle after over 10 years (i.e. by their mid-20's)?
    Last edited by Mao88; 10-18-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Custom Title
    Oh, golly, I hope she has the motivation. Skaters are dropping like flies. I hope to see all our favorite skaters at Worlds, doing their best work.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't mind seeing her move on and seeing some fresh faces. She may not be that old but she seems to have been around a long time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing her move on and seeing some fresh faces. She may not be that old but she seems to have been around a long time.
    Me too. I really don't want to see skaters who have been to the last two Olympics competing yet again in 2014.

Custom Title
    I don't know. I still wish the Beatles hadn't broken up and that Michelle was still competing. I always feel that if an interesting skater wants to remain in the game, he or she should go for it. Kostner was at her best this past year. Maybe she'll be even better in the future; who knows? If the baby ballerinas (or someone else) can beat her in fair competition, let them. Otherwise, she's entitled to whatever achievements she can attain. I find her an interesting skater. The only time I have trouble watching her is when she loses her confidence and consistency.

I think no o the OP's question, but I hope I am wrong as she was so delightful this past year, with her nerves under control.

Whereas I'm thrilled to have so many veteran skaters still around; Carolina made her debut in 2003, and there will probably be several four-time Olympians in Sochi, which I totally approve of. It's great that skaters now have long careers and can bring greater maturity to their performances. I'll take Carolina and Akiko over the Russian wunderbabies any day!

Since Carolina considered retirement and discarded the idea, I expect that she is very motivated - otherwise she would have concluded that 10 seasons are more than enough. One of the things her boyfriend said after he was caught doping was how much she loves skating, while he didn't feel that way about his sport. After everything she has been through, I assume she wouldn't continue competing if she didn't really want to do it.

Custom Title
    I think she is motivated to train, but I think she was a bit fortunate to win last year, with Yuna and Miki out and Mao out of form. Had any of those three brought their best it would have been difficult for Caro to win with no lutz and just 2 flips over both her programs. Since this is a new Caro, who doesn't completely crumble under the pressure nowadays, she may be able to successfully incorporate the lutz back in her programs. If so she will be tough to beat.

I think she just loves skating, she isn't really a "competitor", she just likes training, trying new elements, feeling the emotions that FS can give you, so she may not perform her best this season. However, I don't think that not winning the World or European title again would mean lacking of motivation, she's just tired: last season was really busy for her (3 GP, the final, euros, challenge cup, worlds, team trophy), I agree that the best thing for her would be just skip this season and take a year off. But, if you don't compete at all, I think that you lose the "timing", it gets a while before you're ready again, especially if it's the first time for you. Good luck Caro, I will always support you, the results don't matter if you enjoy your skating!

Custom Title
    No one wants to admit it but I am sure she likes the glamour and limelight too. She knew what she was getting into; I just feel she has had her many gifts and it is time for someone else. She has managed to podium when well it was a splat fest or when someone could have scored higher but they gave it to her. I guess my biased thoughts are that she does not deserve to have the medals or be considered as good as say Irina Slutskaya. The fact that she won without a triple lutz to me is bothersome in this era.

No one wants to admit it but I am sure she likes the glamour and limelight too. She knew what she was getting into; I just feel she has had her many gifts and it is time for someone else. She has managed to podium when well it was a splat fest or when someone could have scored higher but they gave it to her. I guess my biased thoughts are that she does not deserve to have the medals or be considered as good as say Irina Slutskaya. The fact that she won without a triple lutz to me is bothersome in this era.
    What a mean-spirited post. Yes, I'm sure Kostner enjoys performing and some of the benefits that go along with being a successful skater - as most skaters do. She won plenty of events with a 3Lz, and when she lost it due to injury, she went back to the drawing board to see what she could do to compensate. Her programs in recent years have been superb, her jump technique is top-notch, she does difficult steps: why shouldn't all these things be recognized? Why is it a "gift" when they are? Why is it bad of Carolina to omit a 3Lz when past winners couldn't do easier jumps, like 3R and 3S? Give me a break.

Kostner is an extremely talented skater who for years struggled with nerves rather than lack of ability. I am glad to finally see her fulfill her potential.

Custom Title
    I did not become a huge fan until she stopped doing the lutz and splatting alot in general. I love her lines and her choreography. If she can skate cleaner without the full arsenal of jumps, I prefer that. I hope she comes back .

Custom Title
    I really want Carolina to make it to Sochi, and finally have the olympic outing she deserves. she has achieved everything in the sport except for a respectful olympic finish, which is probably what keeps her going.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    What a mean-spirited post. Yes, I'm sure Kostner enjoys performing and some of the benefits that go along with being a successful skater - as most skaters do. She won plenty of events with a 3Lz, and when she lost it due to injury, she went back to the drawing board to see what she could do to compensate. Her programs in recent years have been superb, her jump technique is top-notch, she does difficult steps: why shouldn't all these things be recognized? Why is it a "gift" when they are? Why is it bad of Carolina to omit a 3Lz when past winners couldn't do easier jumps, like 3R and 3S? Give me a break.

Kostner is an extremely talented skater who for years struggled with nerves rather than lack of ability. I am glad to finally see her fulfill her potential.
    Thank you.

I don't see the mean spirited part-he simply isn't a fan. Carolina comes from Italy where the only other lady we know is Valentina. So I suspect her fed is pushing her now. I am disappointed she isn't really pushing this season. Maybe she has a relaxed attitude toward Sochi-she does love to skate or she would have quit after 2006 or 2010 where she competed so poorly. She was like another skater this past year. I loved seeing her beautiful programs. If it takes no lutz to keep her upright with amazing flow then fine with me. I guess I don't care when someone skates so majestically. I prefer her skating to Yuna's any day. All due respect to Yuna but I don't think any lady will walk off wih Sochi prize. All will work hard and lots of luck will be required. I prefer Akiko to any russian wonderbaby, and I'd love to see another mature latebloomer like her walk off with the prize. Or the fabulous Wagner would be wonderful as well. There are many great ladies-it would be nice to have the veterans take on the youth as in the mens comp. as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast