Thread: How good is Hanyu?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

How good is Hanyu?

Hanyu's performance today in the Short Program at Skate America just took my breath away. His score of 95.07 was also an ISU world record for the Short Program. He was incredible. The movement, the flow, the speed across the ice, the jumps, the spins, the transitions, the musical interpretation, the artistry, the grace, the elegance, etc, etc - he has it all, and what he has in abundance is just sheer natural talent. So, how good is he? It was a great decision to appoint Brian Orser as his coach back in April, and in my opinion, he has (with Orser's help) overtaken Chan and Dai to become the best male singles skater in the world, and the favourite for the Olympic title. My only doubt is that asthma gives him a stamina problem, especially in the long program, and it sometimes limits his training to 2 hours a day, but it is to be hoped that that problem can be overcome over the next 18 months.
    Last edited by Mao88; 10-20-2012 at 04:14 AM.

He's extremely GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD and yes, this strong performance at SA gave him the ticket to becoming the definite contender in Sochi Olympics! But I would reserve my opinion that "he's taken over Chan and Dai to become the best male singles skater in the world," since we've yet to see either Dai or Patrick's A game brought into competition in this season. I do think, however, that he's got much better chance at OGM than Dai does; he's much younger, jumps are much stable and in better quality, and there's two whole season to develop artistically to catch up with Dai's awesome presentation skills.

Hanyu is Amazing, He will achieve legendary status in his career like Plushenko and will be the one of the favorites to win in Sochi
    he is really special, after Zhenya no one ever captured me in men's FS until his arrival.

ik, a bit uber but Yuzuru is already the Prince of Figure Skating !
    not even Chan can be in his league, Yuzuru is simply way up there

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Hanyu is Amazing, He will achieve legendary status in his career like Plushenko and will be the one of the favorites to win in Sochi
    he is really special, after Zhenya no one ever captured me in men's FS until his arrival.

ik, a bit uber but Yuzuru is already the Prince of Figure Skating !
    not even Chan can be in his league, Yuzuru is simply way up there

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Zhenya was also one of the first to recognize Yuzuru's talent , he gave him a pendant
    and Zhenya even said, Yuzuru will be his biggest competitor and the one to beat in Sochi

Custom Title
    Hanyu is a spectacular skater. Orser has brought out the best in him. I dont think that Dai has a chance if Hanyu skates the way he did. He has it all. He had become a very well rounded skater as well.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    He is only 18 and hasnt reached the peak age of a skater, so he is scary good!

My only fear if Hanyu becomes Olympic Champion so soon is that he retires early a la Kulik.
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Zhenya was also one of the first to recognize Yuzuru's talent , he gave him a pendant
    and Zhenya even said, Yuzuru will be his biggest competitor and the one to beat in Sochi
    I thought he was fooling at that time but after today he may think of retirement.