Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 58 of 58

Thread: How good is Hanyu?

  1. #46
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    254
    I am really impressed. I originally thought that Orser was not going to be a good coach for Hanyu, and I was not totally impressed with the direction he appeared to be taking with his exhibition skates in the off season. Looking back, I am sorry for many of my previous blogs that were critical. I have never had any doubt since last year's worlds, however, that Hanyu has it in him to be the greatest skater of our lifetime. He may even be the best (he is "crazy good") now, but this I am sure of: He is going to get even better. And for right now, Orser seems to be doing something right and Hanyu is really making fantastic improvements where he has to. He is pacing himself better and he is becoming more consistent. And he can now skate a great short program (which I always thought was his weaker program competitively, although to me that never made sense given his spirit). The only criticism I have is not directed to him so much as it is to the choreography of his long program. His present long program seems to lack life. It seems to be "droopy", not a Hanyu program. However, perhaps he will find a way over the season to pick it up and give it some punch. (He got ever better at the Romeo and Juliet skate over the season last year.) As well, this present long program might be good for him in teaching him how to increase his stamina. But, yes, it really fails in being a good piece of choreography. Now, here is the thing: Even though we expect him to improve, he probably already is the best. Kudos to Orser, in inspiring Hanyu and working on places where he needed working. Sorry for doubting you. Kudos to Hanyu, for continuing to work really hard. As you become more technical, be careful not to lose your energetic enthusiastic spirit in the long program (which right now is kind of droopy). I don't think anyone can ever catch this kid in competition as long as he can keep his spirit.
    Last edited by phaeljones; 10-24-2012 at 07:30 AM.

  2. #47
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    It's amazing, couldn't find any more vocabularies other than repeat the word amazing, to see that such slim, seemed fragile body could do this much athletically! Hanyu is a huge talent. I think it's a right move for Hanyu to go to Orser. And the reward in such a short term could be seen already. I give this credit to his new coach Orser.

    One can't expect the situation change for the better completely suddenly. If anyone questions about whether it's a right coaching change, I think questioning about Michal Brezina's coaching change is a better one, though it's another topic.

    Anyway, looking forward to seeing Takahashi and Hanyu's competing each other at NHK!
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 10-24-2012 at 09:40 PM.

  3. #48
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,380
    Orser seems to do well with skaters who have a ton of raw talent but needs polish or improvement in the details. Not to mention the man's a major COP master that can rack up the points. He has Hanyu doing three really hard combos in the SECOND half of the program along with a billion transitions in between. We didn't see it at Skate America--but man when that program is at its full potential...watch out!

  4. #49
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,885
    Interesting.Comparison of Hanyu's and Dai's SP.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmzQK...layer_embedded

  5. #50
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Interesting.Comparison of Hanyu's and Dai's SP.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmzQK...layer_embedded
    Looks very interesting but I don't understand what they say and write in there. Could you please translate them? Thank you so much!

  6. #51
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Looks very interesting but I don't understand what they say and write in there. Could you please translate them? Thank you so much!
    I can't translate. I just know the ISU has changed the SP's rules. In this season gets the skater 10% bonus, if the jumps are in the second half of SP. And the value of jumps are also changed. So I think, Hanyu's world rekord marks aren't higher as Dai's rekord was under the older rules. I hope, a japanese forum member will explaine exactly.

  7. #52
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I can't translate. I just know the ISU has changed the SP's rules. In this season gets the skater 10% bonus, if the jumps are in the second half of SP. And the value of jumps are also changed. So I think, Hanyu's world rekord marks aren't higher as Dai's rekord was under the older rules. I hope, a japanese forum member will explaine exactly.
    But thank you so much for bringing it here! If I'm not mistaken, they did not change the value of the jumps from last year. It did though add a 10% bonus for the jumps performed in the second half of SP like it was in LP.

    And you are right. Hanyu has basically earned 0.85 + 1.01 = 1.86 more in BV because of this 10% in SP rule change. If we consider this, it'll be even more unfair to call this a "world record" SP.

  8. #53
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    But thank you so much for bringing it here! If I'm not mistaken, they did not change the value of the jumps from last year. It did though add a 10% bonus for the jumps performed in the second half of SP like it was in LP.

    And you are right. Hanyu has basically earned 0.85 + 1.01 = 1.86 more in BV because of this 10% in SP rule change. If we consider this, it'll be even more unfair to call this a "world record" SP.
    I mentioned this in my post the men's thread:

    ETA: I realize that we ought to add apples to apples with the SP. So let's take out the BV from the new 1.1 rule. So Hanyu's base value w/o the bonus is 41.50... So with the +GOE his TES was 49.85 + 43.86 PCS = 93.71.
    So it would be pretty darn close, even when you take out the 1.1 rule. But alas if scored the same without the rule, it would be sooo close, but alas not a new record.

    ETA: Bad math--the altered score is actually 93.21. Still...so close! And would rank No. 2, just ahead of Patrick's SP from 2011 Worlds.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 10-25-2012 at 04:02 PM.

  9. #54
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    So it would be pretty darn close, even when you take out the 1.1 rule. But alas if scored the same without the rule, it would be sooo close, but alas not a new record.

    ETA: Bad math--the altered score is actually 93.21. Still...so close! And would rank No. 2, just ahead of Patrick's SP from 2011 Worlds.
    Which means that Takahashi, Hanyu, and Chan are all capable of this level SP skating. There were other skaters who had SP above 90, Plushenko and Lysacek.

  10. #55
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Which means that Takahashi, Hanyu, and Chan are all capable of this level SP skating. There were other skaters who had SP above 90, Plushenko and Lysacek.
    Yep, which is why I think this record will be broken once if not multiple times this season.

  11. #56
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    But thank you so much for bringing it here! If I'm not mistaken, they did not change the value of the jumps from last year. It did though add a 10% bonus for the jumps performed in the second half of SP like it was in LP.

    And you are right. Hanyu has basically earned 0.85 + 1.01 = 1.86 more in BV because of this 10% in SP rule change. If we consider this, it'll be even more unfair to call this a "world record" SP.
    Yes, you are right. Didn't change the jumps value.

  12. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I can't translate. I just know the ISU has changed the SP's rules. In this season gets the skater 10% bonus, if the jumps are in the second half of SP. And the value of jumps are also changed. So I think, Hanyu's world rekord marks aren't higher as Dai's rekord was under the older rules. I hope, a japanese forum member will explaine exactly.
    No need for that. Hanyu himself explained everything to Number mag the link to which I posted in his thread (deleted now). He said pretty much the same thing as you here- the rules have changed therefore the usage of the word "record" is not super correct. Who didn't know that.

  13. #58
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    No need for that. Hanyu himself explained everything to Number mag the link to which I posted in his thread (deleted now). He said pretty much the same thing as you here- the rules have changed therefore the usage of the word "record" is not super correct. Who didn't know that.
    Thank you. Anyway Hanyu's SP was great.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •