How good is Hanyu? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How good is Hanyu?

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I think Yuzuru's technical ability is through the roof. No one does the entry he has into the 3A because it's insane, and he made that 4T look like a 3T from the way he landed it nigh-perfectly.

The only thing I can really fault him for is his lines and posture which can get sloppy at times. He doesn't have yet the maturity fully down, but he's halfway there. That's really the only edge Patrick Chan has over him; otherwise, it's quite an even playing field now. I'm not sure if Chan's meltdown at JO will follow through to Skate Canada, but I hope he does well enough so that we get to see the head-to-head at the Grand Prix Final.

seniorita

Record Breaker
He is only 18 and hasnt reached the peak age of a skater, so he is scary good!

My only fear if Hanyu becomes Olympic Champion so soon is that he retires early a la Kulik.
Zhenya was also one of the first to recognize Yuzuru's talent , he gave him a pendant
and Zhenya even said, Yuzuru will be his biggest competitor and the one to beat in Sochi

I thought he was fooling at that time but after today he may think of retirement.:cool:

Ooh, good point, Seniorita. I hope he sticks around so we can see what he's really capable of, because his expressive and technical peak is sometime in the future.

(On the other hand, I'm glad Ilia didn't try for the Olympics again in 2002, so we could have both Kulik and Yagudin as OGM winners...and then Kulik made it into the prime days of pro skating and could devise all sorts of innovative programs. So things do work out.)

Krislite

Medalist
Hanyu's quad toe out of steps and his 3Axel entry just made my jaws drop. That kid has unparalleled technical ability and if his PCS can catch up, Patrick Chan's no longer guaranteed the OGM in Sochi.

On a side note: it would be quite something for Orser to get two OGM students back-to-back after getting silver twice himself in the Olympics.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I haven't see any but some pairs on youtube but when I saw Hanyu last year I was blown away. Plush and Dai are fighting use related injuries. I expect Plush to be held up, but I thought immediately and said that Hanyu would eclipse Dai this year. I think he will not have the polish of Chan for some time, nor the elegant mature style we have come to respect with Dai.

But on the internet, he just explodes and I am so jealous of Doris et al to see this in person. We have an 18 year old, a 21? year old, Dai at 28? Correct ages and Plush 29?

I also think Jeremy has a touchingly beautiful program. I hope this year he can fight the nerves. His "Bring him home" is truly from the heart and few skaters can do what he does. He is no competitor but he is in the league of people I think that leave one touched by the sheer purity of what he does. I think of him up there with Wylie, John Curry and a few others. It doesn't sound like he did it justice but let us hope. Adam Rippon has this elegance. When will they realize it's just like practice and not brain surgery? Why does Jeremy do so bad at some competitions at his age and experience? I don't get it. Sad to hear he was overscored in one opinion.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Hanyu is really good. But as the SA FS shows, he's also mortal. And has plenty still to work on to improve.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Well, Hanyu didn't half come back down to Earth with a bump with his Free Skate. I hope he is able to learn from this and does not turn out to be someone who lacks the ruthless ability and temperament to win. As the old cliche goes, you can have all the talent in the world, but if you lack the nerve to win you will get nowhere. However, Hanyu is still at a very early stage of his career and judgement should be reserved for the timebeing. Nothing can be concluded from just one competitive, except that he has huge talent and potential.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Well, his SP score was a world record. But came in with 10 points lead from SP and lost the competition in the end was probably a world record too.

Evgenia

Rinkside
He is only 18 and hasnt reached the peak age of a skater, so he is scary good!

My only fear if Hanyu becomes Olympic Champion so soon is that he retires early a la Kulik.

I thought he was fooling at that time but after today he may think of retirement.:cool:

You are not very good judges of talent :p Both Hanyu and Plushenko.
Plushenko is hard working for Sochi. And Hanyu won't retire even if he became Sochi Olympic champion. Hanyu told "I would like to be a world champion, but not once, want to keep winning. Because I have been respected Evgeni Plushenko for a long time."

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hanyu is very good and I think his age is perfect. he'll be about 20 at the Olympics so enough time for him to mature; too bad Chan peaked too soon. I hardly think having skaters from one country dominate is really that great for the sport though. In fact it could further diminish the populairity of the sport. In a dream world you would want a mix of skaters. If it was say a Japanese men's sweep; while many enjoy skating still I don't think it would help interest in key markets like Europe, Canada or the USA. I hope we see everyone skate their very best and the best skater wins which inmho is between the three Japanese and Chan. When I say skate their best I mean their "realistic" best. One could never expect Brezina, Verner to Abbott to skate totally clean in two performances. Though I do believe Hanyu, Takahasi, Kozuka and Chan all potentially could be clean. Joubert really has had his day but he is a fighter; but I have to say I don't see a lot of improvement - like a lot of skaters some good trash talk but not much else - still he comes back like those weeds in teh back yard refusing to be forgotten or ignored.

Becki

Medalist
Hanyu is very good and I think his age is perfect. he'll be about 20 at the Olympics so enough time for him to mature; too bad Chan peaked too soon. I hardly think having skaters from one country dominate is really that great for the sport though. In fact it could further diminish the populairity of the sport. In a dream world you would want a mix of skaters. If it was say a Japanese men's sweep; while many enjoy skating still I don't think it would help interest in key markets like Europe, Canada or the USA. I hope we see everyone skate their very best and the best skater wins which inmho is between the three Japanese and Chan. When I say skate their best I mean their "realistic" best. One could never expect Brezina, Verner to Abbott to skate totally clean in two performances. Though I do believe Hanyu, Takahasi, Kozuka and Chan all potentially could be clean. Joubert really has had his day but he is a fighter; but I have to say I don't see a lot of improvement - like a lot of skaters some good trash talk but not much else - still he comes back like those weeds in teh back yard refusing to be forgotten or ignored.

I don't think Chan has peaked yet, at least not artistically. Hanyu will be barely 19 (19 and 2 months) at the Olympics, which is a good age to be at his first Olympics :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Hanyu is the best talent to come on the scene since Plushenko. and I think Hanyu is even better than Plush - his artistry is phenomenal. Yuzuru has it all already at 17. He could be the big favorite to win Sochi next year. I'd love to see Plushenko, Hanyu, and Dai battling it out for world and olympic golds. these 3 are in a class of their own. forgive me for ignoring Chan - I just can't stand his skating and his "win" at worlds last year.

Hanyu and Plush skate in absolute other style. Plush's skating is powerful, manly. He has a real masculine power, he is artistry manly way. Hanyu is young boy, a huge talent and fantastic skater, who grew up in new system.
His looks also helps him to we think he is a sensitive, artistry skater. I want to caress his head. :) Lovely.

Plushy never made such a crash as Yuzuru in his LP.

Push was born November 3. 1982, Hanyu was born December..10? 1994. Their first Oly was/ will be at 19. Plush won his first world champion title when he was 18 in 2001, Hanyu will be 18 in 2013 WCH in London. Interesting.
Look at his video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6GucbtVGs&list=FLIxsWSUVe4SU3ZN4FiGlgkA&index=85&feature=plpp_video

Plush's skating in ECH Januar 2001. He beat Yagudin. Anybody says he wasn't artistry? Perfect, flawless skating, mature performance ( 3 6.0), two quads, one quad in 4-3-2 combo.
It's matter of taste, what do you like most in man skating. Nobody don't misundrestand me, I love Yuzu! he is my prince.

Last edited:

StellaCampo

On the Ice
Hanyu needs to improve his skating skills, which he is doing with Orser, according to a Japanese TV clip I saw. He also needs to improve posture. At present Dai has a better presence on the ice.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Ha! Nice to see my theory for judge's funny biorhythm pattern of scoring at post #12 fully applied today in terms of how Hanyu was over scored after this appalling FS. I expect now, even if he skated exceeding well next round, his PCS will come back to to the basement floor again, probably a little unfairly.

Most spectators of the sport seems get too occupied with relative scoring to other competitors to the competition, but I find the heart of the matter goes to how the judge panel judged the skater from their previous day/occassion/history based on impressions and delayed reactions which explained this funny FS result after Hanyu just benefited from his own PCHAN moment 30 seconds ago.

Never mind Hanyu, call it the balance of the force, the yin and yang. Take these mistakes to make you stronger, you are still young got tons of places to go. I still believe in you though a bit iffy about the programs this year!!! :)

Last edited:
It was little bit sad to see him not able to hold his head up all through the KnC moment. I just wanted to go hug him.

Isn't it nice to realize that someone this spectacular is in our future? The giants of men's skating aren't all just in the past, or even the present.

(Though I do subjectively totally hope that Dai wins this Olympics....)

So true, Olympia. I've never been around in the heyday of FS in 90s and missed the big moments of Michelle Kwan which is my biggest regret, but I feel so lucky lately to be able to witness such talents grow as time goes by and reach the top. It's just magical.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think Hanyu has great potential but I think he still needs to improve in some areas. As others have said, his posture needs work and I'd like to see a bit less arm flailing. I disagree with the judges marking his SP as the best ever under COP. I find Chan's skating more pleasant to watch now but that could certainly change as Hanyu improves.

miki88

Medalist
Hanyu is great. I don't like his programs this year as much as his LP last year, but he has huge potential. I just hope he can increase his stamina so he become more consistent in the free skate.

stevlin

On the Ice
I like Hanyu, very talented and will only get better. Jeffrey Buttle did a wonderful job choreographing Hanyu's short program. I wonder who else is Jeff working with?