Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How good is Hanyu?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Hanyu is very good and I think his age is perfect. he'll be about 20 at the Olympics so enough time for him to mature; too bad Chan peaked too soon. I hardly think having skaters from one country dominate is really that great for the sport though. In fact it could further diminish the populairity of the sport. In a dream world you would want a mix of skaters. If it was say a Japanese men's sweep; while many enjoy skating still I don't think it would help interest in key markets like Europe, Canada or the USA. I hope we see everyone skate their very best and the best skater wins which inmho is between the three Japanese and Chan. When I say skate their best I mean their "realistic" best. One could never expect Brezina, Verner to Abbott to skate totally clean in two performances. Though I do believe Hanyu, Takahasi, Kozuka and Chan all potentially could be clean. Joubert really has had his day but he is a fighter; but I have to say I don't see a lot of improvement - like a lot of skaters some good trash talk but not much else - still he comes back like those weeds in teh back yard refusing to be forgotten or ignored.
    I don't think Chan has peaked yet, at least not artistically. Hanyu will be barely 19 (19 and 2 months) at the Olympics, which is a good age to be at his first Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by daphna View Post
    Hanyu is the best talent to come on the scene since Plushenko. and I think Hanyu is even better than Plush - his artistry is phenomenal. Yuzuru has it all already at 17. He could be the big favorite to win Sochi next year. I'd love to see Plushenko, Hanyu, and Dai battling it out for world and olympic golds. these 3 are in a class of their own. forgive me for ignoring Chan - I just can't stand his skating and his "win" at worlds last year.
    Hanyu and Plush skate in absolute other style. Plush's skating is powerful, manly. He has a real masculine power, he is artistry manly way. Hanyu is young boy, a huge talent and fantastic skater, who grew up in new system.
    His looks also helps him to we think he is a sensitive, artistry skater. I want to caress his head. Lovely.

Plushy never made such a crash as Yuzuru in his LP.

Push was born November 3. 1982, Hanyu was born December..10? 1994. Their first Oly was/ will be at 19. Plush won his first world champion title when he was 18 in 2001, Hanyu will be 18 in 2013 WCH in London. Interesting.
    Look at his video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6Gu...ure=plpp_video

Plush's skating in ECH Januar 2001. He beat Yagudin. Anybody says he wasn't artistry? Perfect, flawless skating, mature performance ( 3 6.0), two quads, one quad in 4-3-2 combo.
    It's matter of taste, what do you like most in man skating. Nobody don't misundrestand me, I love Yuzu! he is my prince.
    Last edited by plushyfan; 10-22-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Custom Title
    Hanyu needs to improve his skating skills, which he is doing with Orser, according to a Japanese TV clip I saw. He also needs to improve posture. At present Dai has a better presence on the ice.

Custom Title
    Ha! Nice to see my theory for judge's funny biorhythm pattern of scoring at post #12 fully applied today in terms of how Hanyu was over scored after this appalling FS. I expect now, even if he skated exceeding well next round, his PCS will come back to to the basement floor again, probably a little unfairly.

Most spectators of the sport seems get too occupied with relative scoring to other competitors to the competition, but I find the heart of the matter goes to how the judge panel judged the skater from their previous day/occassion/history based on impressions and delayed reactions which explained this funny FS result after Hanyu just benefited from his own PCHAN moment 30 seconds ago.

Never mind Hanyu, call it the balance of the force, the yin and yang. Take these mistakes to make you stronger, you are still young got tons of places to go. I still believe in you though a bit iffy about the programs this year!!!
    Last edited by os168; 10-21-2012 at 11:35 AM.

It was little bit sad to see him not able to hold his head up all through the KnC moment. I just wanted to go hug him.

Custom Title
    Isn't it nice to realize that someone this spectacular is in our future? The giants of men's skating aren't all just in the past, or even the present.

(Though I do subjectively totally hope that Dai wins this Olympics....)

So true, Olympia. I've never been around in the heyday of FS in 90s and missed the big moments of Michelle Kwan which is my biggest regret, but I feel so lucky lately to be able to witness such talents grow as time goes by and reach the top. It's just magical.

Custom Title
    I think Hanyu has great potential but I think he still needs to improve in some areas. As others have said, his posture needs work and I'd like to see a bit less arm flailing. I disagree with the judges marking his SP as the best ever under COP. I find Chan's skating more pleasant to watch now but that could certainly change as Hanyu improves.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Hanyu is great. I don't like his programs this year as much as his LP last year, but he has huge potential. I just hope he can increase his stamina so he become more consistent in the free skate.

Custom Title
    I like Hanyu, very talented and will only get better. Jeffrey Buttle did a wonderful job choreographing Hanyu's short program. I wonder who else is Jeff working with?

Custom Title
    The poor thing was really drooping during his program. I think he must just have been unwell today: maybe some local allergen was intensifying the asthma. I don't think this long program was an accurate reflection of his achievements to date or of his future potential. I'm sure the next time we see him, he'll be much more impressive (and, I hope, much healthier!).

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Hanyu has talent miles long and as we saw last year at worlds and in the short is very capable of putting it together. But stamina is still a very major issue for him and until he get that under control he can't really be counted on to deliver when it counts. His LP this season is a bit of a sleeper, jumps or no jumps, there is nothing very memorable about the program and that pink glitter has to go!

Custom Title
    Like I said in the men’s programs threads, I predicted that Yuzru would bomb his LP… and he did. Actually this could be a great program with most difficult technical layout, intricate transitions, and a lot of angst. But if his stamina doesn’t improve then we’ll probably see him bombing again at NHK.

That said, I’m rather amazed by his artistry. He pulls classical music, powerful OST, and sexy blues well! I love his SP this season. Wow. He can skate to such diverse styles at such a young age. Good for him.

I just watched SA gala. Yuzru has the best EX program there too. I thought Takahashi had the best EX program this season, but Yuzru’s program even tops that. My goodness, he’s only 17 but already has a huge charisma! We’re so lucky that the current men’s field is the deepest with Patrick, Takahashi, Yuzru, and Plushenko.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by StellaCampo View Post
    Hanyu needs to improve his skating skills, which he is doing with Orser, according to a Japanese TV clip I saw. He also needs to improve posture. At present Dai has a better presence on the ice.
    ITA. I think he's really good but his posture needs some work and a few other things. I'm just not getting the whole package yet...for me. There's no doubt that he's very talented but to me Dai, Chan and a few others have a better presense on ice imo.

I think Hanyu is "scary good."

Geez, he is still so young,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As to his ice presence - he reminds me of Plushy. Not that their styles are similar - but when he is skating I find myself glued to the screen - wondering what bit of magic he will show next.

This kid has "it" in spades

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast