Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Figure Skating books

Custom Title

Figure Skating books

The bio of Inge Steuer just came out and thats where i started to wonder, which other bios of skaters or other books related to skating are a "must read".

I red and would recommend

Sonja Bianchetti - chraced ice
    joy goodwin - the second mark
    joan ryan - pretty girls in little boxes
    my sergei - ekaterina gordeeva
    katharina witt - (German) meine jahre zwischen pflicht und kür
    michelle kwan - heart of a champion

anxious waiting for your suggestions

Custom Title
    Definitely read My Sergei, but have the tissues handy.

If you want to still like Johnny Weir, do NOT read his book.

Skate Talk - Steve Milton

Indelible Tracings Frozen in Time - about the 1961 US World Team

Frozen Teardrop - Lucinda Ruh

Push Dick's Button

My Sergei

Skating on Air

Custom Title
    The Passion to Skate by Sandra Bezic

Tripping on the Podium
    I read Elizabeth Manley's book many years ago, I forgot the title but it was really interesting especially when discussing the mental health issues she faced as well as the bullying behavior by her competitors.

Minusaramadad from Arctaroon John King's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    I read Elizabeth Manley's book many years ago, I forgot the title but it was really interesting especially when discussing the mental health issues she faced as well as the bullying behavior by her competitors.
    There were two: Thumbs Up, released 1990, and As I Am, about ten years later.

Quote Originally Posted by euroskate View Post
    Sonja Bianchetti - chraced ice

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euroskate View Post
    The bio of Inge Steuer just came out and thats where i started to wonder, which other bios of skaters or other books related to skating are a "must read". I red and would recommend Sonja Bianchetti - chraced ice joy goodwin - the second mark joan ryan - pretty girls in little boxes my sergei - ekaterina gordeeva katharina witt - (German) meine jahre zwischen pflicht und kür michelle kwan - heart of a champion anxious waiting for your suggestions
    I loved the Second Mark. It was great to get such deep insight and background on the skaters as well as coaches.

My Sergei was a beautiful book. I cried the majority of that book, happy and sad tears. I have read that book countless times.

I would really like to read Sonia Bianchetti's book. I would also like her to replace Otto....

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Definitely read My Sergei, but have the tissues handy.

If you want to still like Johnny Weir, do NOT read his book.
    I read Johnny's book and I still like him...what was it that bothered you? I know he isn't a perfect person, but I knew that before I read it too. I suppose the part about him lying to get out of a competition didn't reflect well upon him, but he was about 15 iirc, and admits it was wrong.

On the Ice
    Has anybody read Ice Cream: Thirty of the Most Interesting Skaters in History by Toller Cranston? I would really like to read it. I'm really curious what he thinks about other skaters.

Evgeni Plushenko: Another show -biography

only in Russian but the link for the english translating : http://www.mediafire.com/?z9ziocao3m3a1

this translating unofficial, a bulgarian fan translated it to english..Plushy sent her a gift package for it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossig View Post
    Has anybody read Ice Cream: Thirty of the Most Interesting Skaters in History by Toller Cranston? I would really like to read it. I'm really curious what he thinks about other skaters.
    That would be fascinating. From other snippets I've read in others of his books, he's a real student of skating, and he's generous in his praise of skaters he admires. Two that he's singled out are Janet Lynn and Laurence Owen. Owen, the new U.S. singles champion, was one of the skaters who died on board the plane carrying the U.S. team in 1961, along with her sister Maribel (the pairs champion) and her mother and coach, Maribel Vinson. I don't know who else Toller liked/likes, but he did coach Christopher Bowman for a while, so one may presume that he enjoyed Bowman's skating. If anyone here has read this book of Toller's, I hope you will give us details!

Tripping on the Podium
    If you read My Sergei be prepared to cry.

Icebreaker by Rudy Galindo was interesting. It's been over a decade since I read it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gallavich View Post
    I read Johnny's book and I still like him...what was it that bothered you? I know he isn't a perfect person, but I knew that before I read it too. I suppose the part about him lying to get out of a competition didn't reflect well upon him, but he was about 15 iirc, and admits it was wrong.
    The lying, the manipulation, the faking of illness and injury (and he was a lot older than fifteen, don't make excuses) was just part of it. The overwhelming sense of entitlement that pervaded the entire book was unbelievable. Here is a pampered, spoiled child who believes the world revolves around him and has never grown out of it. He was lavished with opportunities, and yet he threw them all away, then had the audacity to pitch a fit and squeal that the USFSA hated him. The way he treated Priscilla was abominable, and yet he doesn't seem to care.

Only my deep love for books as an object prevented me from throwing it across the room. If the book had been any longer I doubt I'd have gotten through it. I'm just peeved I wasted $20 on that rubbish.

Rinkside
    My Sergei for sure. That was an excellent book. I also enjoyed A Skating Life by Dorothy Hamill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast