Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Skate America Ladies SP

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    What I like about Adelina is she combines big skating with beautiful skating. With this girl to paraphrase Dick Button a jump is a jump. But she also has for the most part really lovely line and she's developing into a nice performer...A lot of skaters have some if not the other. I mean Julia is a pretty skater but I wouldn't say her jumps fly like that. And Grace Gold has big jumps but she doesn't have that kind of line/extension...

i actually think gracie has very nice lines, and i see artistic growth from last year (which i appreciate--just like i appreciate yuzuru's improved posture--because, ms. gao, your posture still makes me want to scream after all these years).

i am sorry to say this (because i have great respect for TAT) but i only wish adelina had programs as nice as gracie's SP this year. but in terms of magnetism, the ability to instantly grab your attention and hold it, the hugeness of jumps, the pointed toes... adelina really has so many wonderful qualities--to me, this is a skater who like katarina witt can make audiences all over the world (maybe even skate-apathetic america) pay attention and swoon.

Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    i actually think gracie has very nice lines, and i see artistic growth from last year (which i appreciate--just like i appreciate yuzuru's improved posture--because, ms. gao, your posture still makes me want to scream after all these years).

i am sorry to say this (because i have great respect for TAT) but i only wish adelina had programs as nice as gracie's SP this year. but in terms of magnetism, the ability to instantly grab your attention and hold it, the hugeness of jumps, the pointed toes... adelina really has so many wonderful qualities--to me, this is a skater who like katarina witt can make audiences all over the world (maybe even skate-apathetic america) pay attention and swoon.
    I don't think Gold has nice lines at all

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I don't think Gold has nice lines at all
    I don't either...I like Gracie's technique and jumps, but I find her pretty much average everywhere else. In terms of presentation, artistry, expression, etc. I don't see anything special about her. Maybe as she continues to grow I'll see it, but as of right now aside from her jumps she's just meh to me...

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I don't either...I like Gracie's technique and jumps, but I find her pretty much average everywhere else. In terms of presentation, artistry, expression, etc. I don't see anything special about her. Maybe as she continues to grow I'll see it, but as of right now aside from her jumps she's just meh to me...
    In fairness I think her lines watching again have improved but that's because they weren't great last year. She does best with pretty music. But in terms of a performer-no. .I wouldn't call her skating exquisite other than those truly amazing jumps. (and they are amazing). I don't see the big deal with the programs either. Because she doesn't performer them. In terms of Fernando's hideway, I actually wish Sotnikova would make her exhibition for that into a program-because it absolutely is better than Gracies. By a long way. Mainly because Sotnikova actually gets into the music.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    If Rachael wants to invest her time and her parent's money into continuing to skate, that's her choice (and to some degree theirs) to make. I actually really admire her for continuing. I do think she knows she is past her prime. I think she enjoys competition and skating. She was never one of my favorites. She isn't now. But if she continues to be invited to GP events and to qualify or get a bye to nationals, I don't see how one can think she should be forced into retirement.
    To each their own. I dont think she will even betting a GP event next season though and depending on how she does at Nationals this year dont bet on a bye to Nationals either. So if that is her baseline for continuing to compete, dont bet on it happening.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    In fairness I think her lines watching again have improved but that's because they weren't great last year. She does best with pretty music. But in terms of a performer-no. .I wouldn't call her skating exquisite other than those truly amazing jumps. (and they are amazing). I don't see the big deal with the programs either. Because she doesn't performer them. In terms of Fernando's hideway, I actually wish Sotnikova would make her exhibition for that into a program-because it absolutely is better than Gracies. By a long way. Mainly because Sotnikova actually gets into the music.
    I agree, Gracie has improved. Her lines are better but I wouldn't say they're great or even very nice for that matter....they're decent. Comparing her to Adelina, there is no comparison b/c Adelina has impeccable lines and extension to match. I agree, Adelina definitely gets into her music more so even when the choreography is lacking a bit, I'm still able to enjoy what she's doing.

I hope Gracie grows into a performer. I like her SP this year but she doesn't bring it to life. It happens in spurts, here and there she shows flashes of "performing" but then two seconds later it's gone and you can see that she's thinking her way through the program again. I don't ever get the sense she feels the music or choreography when she skates...she's just going through the motions. When she learns to connect to what she's doing, she'll be a freakin' beast! I really hope she can become an all-around skater. For now she's just a powerhouse jumper to me.
    Last edited by kwanatic; 10-20-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Banned
    I dont think Gracie is a natural artist like some of the Russians but I think she is a very determined and hard working competitor who will gain some of the needed artistry with practice over time. It could be even argued Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi are not a natural artist the way Oksana Baiul is, but they mastered it through diligent practice. Ashley Wagner is not a natural artist in the least, just look at her junior performances, ugh, especialy compared to Caroline Zhang, Nagasu, and even unbelievably a young Rachel Flatt, but through years of hard work we have seen what it has done for her.

Custom Title
    I thought that the judges were generous to Adelina...I feel for Leonova though I've never been a fan of hers(
    So I'm looking forward to fp.It is crazy to think that Adelina has even a chance to catch Ashley!I thought she doesn't have a chance, but looking at their scores I believe that the winner is not so obvious

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I wish Christina would do 3Flip-3Toe like she used to. It was still a lovely SP performance anyway...the best here today.

Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    I thought that the judges were generous to Adelina...I feel for Leonova though I've never been a fan of hers(
    So I'm looking forward to fp.It is crazy to think that Adelina has even a chance to catch Ashley!I thought she doesn't have a chance, but looking at their scores I believe that the winner is not so obvious
    I think Adelina has more than a chance practice reports were saying she was winning the practices. As for why it was close Adelina DID have a 3/3...

Custom Title
    Really liken Goa's short but I do think she needs to work on her back but I don't think that would change because it's not that noticeable.

Custom Title
    I think Adelina has more than a chance practice reports were saying she was winning the practices. As for why it was close Adelina DID have a 3/3...
    The thing is, it's all about practices(( I really like her and wish her well but sometimes I doubt her competetiveness=(That's why I supposed she'll make mistakes which will keep her far from the 1st place..

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Adelina
    Ashley has really made me a fan the last two seasons, she is one of the best bounched back stories!

Custom Title
    Has anyone found a link to Ashley's sp? I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Has anyone found a link to Ashley's sp? I missed it.
    Haven't seen Ashley's SP except at IN.

Here is Adelina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sAP5QFcHuw

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast