Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: 2012 Skate America Ladies SP

Custom Title
    I finally saw Ashley's short and now I think I would have put Gao first but I'm glad she had second....not as much pressure.

So here are the notes I took from the Ladies SP:

Ashley - I enjoyed the program. I think that it was good for being her first outing with it. She had power and confidence and really brought a great energy. She also had great eye contact which helped her connect well with the audience. This has the potential to be a great program. She left a bunch of points on the table, so I think, she has the potential to score more here. She had a lot of speed and ice coverage. She did two-foot the Loop, but the -1 reflects the fact that she had completed other bullets to make up for the -3 for the two foot -- she had a lot of height on the jump.

Adelina - Besides the popped flip, I enjoyed the program. She definitely has the whole package. She had some great footwork and really performed it well. Her 3T-3T combo was very nice with great height.

Christina - A solid program. She was definitely the most clean here and I appreciated the more mature presentation. I think her placement is about right, through I would have been fine if she was behind Mae Bernice or ahead of Adelina.

Mae-Bernice -- Now she is someone that looks much much better live. She has HUGE jumps, I joked with my husband that you could have her do her jumps over small children and succed. The lutz hurt her, though I admire her for saving it so she wouldn't lose points further.

Valentina - A solid effort. I think she is improving, but she still has a lot to work on. .

Viktoria -- She seemed really nervous at warmup, hence the mistakes - but I really liked the footwork (and apparently the judges agreed with me as she was the only one to get level 4).

Haruka-- She has a lot to offer -- nice spins, nice edges on footwork -- but jumps were not her friend today.

Sarah -- I remember really enjoying her in the past -- so I'm a bit disappointed that she really didn't stand out here. The program just didn't do much for me.

Alena - Well to say this was not her day is an understatement. High PCS and that kept her from being dead last. Her usual spunky performance really deflated after all the mistakes.

Rachael -- I think the first part was slow, but she actually perked up in the second half and with the footwork (though she could stand to have more speed overall). I think this program could be good if she gets the jumps back and is injury free. I like the choreography here and she does have a much more mature look.

Some additional thoughts:

** I felt the scores reflected what was brought to the table for each skater, Alena's PCS notwithstanding. Yes, Christina had the tech, but Ashley's PCS was deserved here. She really delivered a powerful program. She oozed confidence and it showed in every aspect of her performance.
    ** No falls!
    **A good competition overall; I can say it was not boring.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 10-22-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Custom Title
    Wow..Alena. I'm sorry but the pcs score that they gave that program is one of the reasons I now I have love/dislike feeling for this sport.

Medalist
    Everyone's talking about the Kwan comparisons and I guess you have to since Ashley chose to skate to the same music but that's also where the comparison ends. I thought Ashley did a great job--she wasn't too dramatic or overly emotional with it. She just laid down some solid skating and I think the program is perfectly suited to her. My favorite (surprise) move was the falling leaf right after the double axel--that was wonderful! The only thing I didn't like was the placement of her triple loop--choreographically, it just doesn't seem to be in a good spot and seems to me like she's asking to fall.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14