Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Skate America Ladies SP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I think Rachael was under-scored. By her score, I was expecting a disaster and it wasn't. I like her new look. It's what some of us have been advocating for a long time--dark colors, long sleeves, white boots.
    I just took a look at the protocols. Surprisingly, she didn't lose too many points based on PCS, but on the level of her spins. She's doing a level 1 camel and a level 2 layback.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I was going to ask about that. good to know...

I didn't like the footwork sequence, but that may be because the audio issue on the youtube vid made it not go with the music.

I'm in the minority (surprised? you shouldn't be lol) but I think this is a great program for Ashley. It's powerful! which is a great look on her.

it's both beautiful and powerful. it's nice that there are programs where beautiful doesn't have to mean pwetty wussy.

i watched it on icenetwork, so i don't know about music synch issues. i am not an ashley wagner uber, so i don't think i'm speaking out of irrational adoration. a lot of people had tweeted about its greatness, so i prepared for possible let down, but i felt it largely lived up to expectations.

Custom Title
    I think Rachael was under-scored. By her score, I was expecting a disaster and it wasn't. I like her new look. It's what some of us have been advocating for a long time--dark colors, long sleeves, white boots.
    I didn't particularly like this music for Rachael, but good for her for continuing to compete if that's what she wants to do. The choreography was good and I thought the costume looked good on her, and she's obviously continued to train hard. But she also seems to have gained extra weight, which probably doesn't help with executing all the needed difficulty. I found her to be a more interesting skater as a young teenager, but I never actually understood why she was held in such high esteem for awhile over skaters like Mirai and Ashley.

I normally prefer skaters like Ashley who are more power than "quiet"... I don't see what's wrong with a Lady being "in your face" in showing strength... we all aren't built to be a princess ballerina in a jewelry box....

not that Ashley couldn't pull it off, it's just not her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    it's both beautiful and powerful. it's nice that there are programs where beautiful doesn't have to mean pwetty wussy.

i watched it on icenetwork, so i don't know about music synch issues. i am not an ashley wagner uber, so i don't think i'm speaking out of irrational adoration. a lot of people had tweeted about its greatness, so i prepared for possible let down, but i felt it largely lived up to expectations.
    ITA. A great choice of music and costume for Ashley. Her fp this season which she debuted at Japan Open is also wonderful. Most of all I love her energy and positive determination. Her coach, John Nicks said that Ashley has a great combination of athleticism and artistry. I like that about her, and I'm glad she's found the coach, music, choreography and costumes to bring out and fully express herself.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 10-21-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Depends on what we like......

If we like a coronation then I would have Ashley first.

If we prefer a competition then I would have it like this:

1. Christina
    2. Adelina
    3. Ashley

Of course that could easily change after the LP's......

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    If we prefer a competition then I would have it like this:
    1. Christina
    2. Adelina
    3. Ashley
    You would have Adelina ahead of Ashley, seriously? Singling a required element jump is a HUGE mistake in the SP, certainly more major than Wagner's 2-footed 3loop. I LOVE everything about Adelina's style too; she's stunning, but rules are rules.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 10-21-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    You would have Adelina ahead of Ashley, seriously? Singling a required element jump is a HUGE mistake in the SP, certainly more major than Wagner's 2-footed 3loop.
    OK, but there was a long discussion recently about rule changes,,,,and two footed landings are supposed to get -3 GOE.
    Then it was said that they are required to receive a range from -1 to -3.

Ashley had a clear two footed landing and received less than -1.

It just shows how the CoP is at times more about smoke and mirrors than accuracy.
    And I thought Adelina's spins and positions beat Ashley quite easily.

Anyway, as far as my opinion goes, I enjoyed Christina's SP the most. And was surprised to see her with a decent 2A which has been a weakness in the past.

When a skater hits 60 points in the SP I am expecting a 3x3, or atleast a 3Lz. Or maybe terrific steps and SS as we saw in Caro's SP last season.

I did not see any of that from Ashley...and saw average spins. Maybe a 55 or so would be a score that reflected her actual performance.

Custom Title
    Okay i can see some of your points. Not sure about Gao though for those who think she should be in first.I still think Ashley has it all. I do think Flatt was underscored or else she has been overscored in the past. Not a bad routine; she may have filled out but I am not sure if that is my imagination. She is not very lithe or light looking on the ice.

Custom Title
    I liked the SPs of all the tops three - and I'm fine with the order they are in, but "hear" others who might see otherwise. But just wanted to say to Tonichelle, I really like Ashley's program a lot. I think it is great music, with great cuts, and good choreo, that she performs with good energy. I think that having a triple-triple secure would strengthen her case internationally, but just IMO, I really like this program. I thought the 'tano-toe" was a nice touch (not so much making up for lack of a 3x3, but very nice addition in this context), and really loved her falling leaf out of that double axel. I can't wait to see this one again.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    OK, but there was a long discussion recently about rule changes,,,,and two footed landings are supposed to get -3 GOE.
    Then it was said that they are required to receive a range from -1 to -3.

Ashley had a clear two footed landing and received less than -1.

It just shows how the CoP is at times more about smoke and mirrors than accuracy.
    And I thought Adelina's spins and positions beat Ashley quite easily.

Anyway, as far as my opinion goes, I enjoyed Christina's SP the most. And was surprised to see her with a decent 2A which has been a weakness in the past.

When a skater hits 60 points in the SP I am expecting a 3x3, or atleast a 3Lz. Or maybe terrific steps and SS as we saw in Caro's SP last season.

I did not see any of that from Ashley...and saw average spins. Maybe a 55 or so would be a score that reflected her actual performance.

Christina, IMO, was underscored. Unfortunate skate order , #2, in the SP. She was the most solid, technically, yesterday in the ladies SP. And, just delightful to watch.

Ashley's program was okay...saw the old habit of two-footing on insecure landings...show up again. As Ashely has not corrected the flutzing issues, she will have to strengthen the landings on her other jumps, as I don't expect the lutz to show up again in a SP. The program needs time to gel. Not "soup" quite yet. Definitely overscored. (4cc and worlds bump)

Pic of Flatt's ending pose...kind of at a funny angle.....http://i50.tinypic.com/1621mrc.jpg.....but you can see tape on her right leg thru her tights. Loved the total package ...dress, no over the boot tights, she has let her hair grow back out (poo on USFS officials for suggesting that she cut it)...makeup. All very very nice. Unfortunate about the 2F in the SP as she did very nice 3F-2T in 6min warmup.

Other highlights...all of the ladies (with exception of Leonova)...had very nice costumes for a change. Wish Leonova would do something with her hair...not fond of pony tails at her age. Oh welll....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post

Agreed. In terms of presentation she made everyone else look like juniors. This was a Performance along with being a Short Program. I think she's come into her own as a performer and that's exciting to watch. She oozed confidence.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Christina, IMO, was underscored. Unfortunate skate order , #2, in the SP. She was the most solid, technically, yesterday in the ladies SP. And, just delightful to watch.
    It's takes awhile to build up the reputation needed to get good scores. She skated well and is in striking distance of the top 2, who are both highly regarded internationally and neither really bombed the SP. If Christina can skate like that consistently her marks are sure to rise.

My thanks to everyone for updates! I had to work killer shifts all week and into the weekend-I missed the SA tv coverage. :( But again I'm grateful for any pbp's!

ITA. I have never been a Rachael fan but this past season in particular she has shown more heart imo than some of the ladies above her who can jump up a storm. Her SP dress is GORGEOUS the most flattering I've ever seen on her. Her choreo was the most mature I've ever seen from her, no silly, 'flirty' moves just terrific expresion in spite of the jumps. And she may not be in top shape just yet but she actually still has time if she really wants to get there.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast