2012 Skate America Ice Dance SD | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Ice Dance SD

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Components also tend to build over the course of season as the program becomes grooved. Also, to assume that B/S's improvement and move to Zhulin would guarantee a leapfrog over W/P ignores the fact that the Canadians have made huge strides the last two years. Before that point the teams were roughly equal. W/P are not going to sit idly by and rest on their laurels. They have a real shot a podium finish at both Worlds and Olympics. B/S Have to not only catch them (along with the French, Shibs and Italians), but also pass them. That's no mean feat. Not saying it's impossible, just very difficult at this lat stage in the cycle. I's argue the Canadians made their move at the better time.

Plus W&P are really the #3 team at this point. No way in hell P&B stay in front of them, now that they got their retirement medal at Worlds.

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 71.39 Short Dance
2. Kaitlyn WEAVER & Andrew POJE (CAN) - 65.79
3. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 62.91
4. Lynn KRIENGKRAIRUT & Logan GIULIETTI-SCHMITT (USA) - 53.89 Short Dance
5. Nellie ZHIGANSHINA & Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 52.30 Short Dance
6. Lorenza ALESSANDRINI & Simone VATURI (ITA) - 50.36 Short Dance
7. Anastasia CANNUSCIO & Colin MCMANUS (USA) - 47.98 Short Dance

rvi5

On the Ice
chuckm said:
So where do you see a 'par' between D/W and W/P with respect to GOE?

I believe the discussion was about W/P verses B/S. Where are you seeing the par comparison between D/W and W/P?

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
Plus W&P are really the #3 team at this point. No way in hell P&B stay in front of them, now that they got their retirement medal at Worlds.

You always have to sound like an Oracle and describe the future. Where the heck are you getting those crystal balls I would like to know, so I could finally get rich.
Until proven on the ice, P/B are 3rd ranked. Period.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Sometimes fans see what they want to see.

You're absolutely correct. In a discussion comparing the component scores of Bobrova/Soloviev and Weaver/Poje, you as a fan of Davis/White somehow managed to see an argument against the Americans. This is after, of course, you trollishly dismissed Macassar88 as being a fan of SCOTT MOIR (your insult for some reason is capitalizing one half of the Olympic Gold Medalists).

For the record, W/P had a half a point higher GOE than B/S. Macassar was wondering why there was a PCS gap.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes it is true fans see what they want to see. I guess I see Davis and White being overmarked far too generously. In life, not every program is a clear cut winner. Sorry, I like D and W and know they probably will Oly and World gold but I just don't see how in the world or universe the judges can give them marks so far much ahead of the Candians and Russians. I expect if we are to be fair then V and M should be marked similarly in Canada. I just don't see why D and W should be marked that much better than Wever and Poje or even B and S. It is almost an insult. I hope the freeskate will be better judged. To think D and W even had a one point penalty - how in the world did the gap get bigger rather than get smaller? I think both B and S and W and P have made far greater strides than V and M or D and W yet the marks don't show it. D and W have this in the bag - wrapped up with a pretty bow and a bonus treat too lol.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes it is true fans see what they want to see. I guess I see Davis and White being overmarked far too generously. In life, not every program is a clear cut winner. Sorry, I like D and W and know they probably will Oly and World gold but I just don't see how in the world or universe the judges can give them marks so far much ahead of the Candians and Russians. I expect if we are to be fair then V and M should be marked similarly in Canada. I just don't see why D and W should be marked that much better than Wever and Poje or even B and S. It is almost an insult. I hope the freeskate will be better judged. To think D and W even had a one point penalty - how in the world did the gap get bigger rather than get smaller? I think both B and S and W and P have made far greater strides than V and M or D and W yet the marks don't show it. D and W have this in the bag - wrapped up with a pretty bow and a bonus treat too lol.
I pretty agree...

samba

On the Ice
If you watch icenetwork, you would be more upset when you hear what Belbin said about her bf, how great he was, White is far more superior than anybody, how hard he worked on his toes, etc. She also criticized other teams, particularly W/P,not so much on the Russians, since she knew that W/P are so close to beat her bf one day. She should not be allowed to do her bias analysis, very unprofessional.

icefan1005

Rinkside
If you watch icenetwork, you would be more upset when you hear what Belbin said about her bf, how great he was, White is far more superior than anybody, how hard he worked on his toes, etc. She also criticized other teams, particularly W/P,not so much on the Russians, since she knew that W/P are so close to beat her bf one day. She should not be allowed to do her bias analysis, very unprofessional.

Very true. I was cringing during her gushing.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
but isn't most ice dancing pretty much is predictable results anyways ?
thats why sometimes I don't watch as it gets boring.

Its safe to say D/W and V/M are locks for gold in their respective GP events

Last edited:

samba

On the Ice
Very true. I was cringing during her gushing.

She gave her comment based on the "World Rank" as well. She said the first group was so bad when compare with better teams on the second group, better in technical and presentation, etc. When in reality, the Germans (the second group) did not do as well particularly on TES. She went on again and again how hard her bf worked on the "ballet" on ice, not talking much about Meryl. She could do that in their bedroom, not during broadcasting. She has to understand the professionalism of broadcasting. Icenetwork should fire her.

monikawi

Rinkside
For several years, I like the most emotionally W / P. Their chemistry is great. Variety admirable. They are convincing and natural. :clap:
But I have to admit that in terms of technical difficulty - many different small details and elements - D / W are really a bit ahead. This year they put on thin ice. Their version of Giselle ballet on ice not all reach. Actually, sometimes it looks weird. Yet in this piece of originality and a large amount of work. And many - many small steps that could be omitted and they would do everything they have to.

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 71.39 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
2. Kaitlyn WEAVER & Andrew POJE (CAN) - 65.79 Short Dance
3. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 62.91 Short Dance
4. Lynn KRIENGKRAIRUT & Logan GIULIETTI-SCHMITT (USA) - 53.89 Short Dance
5. Nellie ZHIGANSHINA & Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 52.30 Short Dance
6. Lorenza ALESSANDRINI & Simone VATURI (ITA) - 50.36 Short Dance
7. Anastasia CANNUSCIO & Colin MCMANUS (USA) - 47.98 Short Dance

Last edited:

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Yes, but I still feel like they should be getting scores closer to Weaver and Poje. They were basically on par with Weaver and Poje in GOE, but they lost out on some important levels. There is no reason for them to be getting level 2 on YP and level 3 on twizzles.

I think you should take a closer look again before making such a statement. :disapp:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
D/V while keeping their technique well seems like lost drive, especiall Meryl, just dancing the pattern perfectly and that is all. It could be that no-Igor in the team was a factor. Also, I find her look horrible: a middle-aged housewife hairstyle and a childish ballerina dress. :think:

herios

Medalist
D/V while keeping their technique well seems like lost drive, especiall Meryl, just dancing the pattern perfectly and that is all. It could be that no-Igor in the team was a factor. Also, I find her look horrible: a middle-aged housewife hairstyle and a childish ballerina dress. :think:

Meryl looks like a Nany you would hire to discipline your children

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist
I think you should take a closer look again before making such a statement. :disapp:
What I mean is that they definitely have the capacity to get higher tech scores, and now that they have a new coach, they can't hide behind the excuse that their old coach taught them wrong.

CAS

On the Ice
I find it always helps to rewatch these programs the morning after when you are sober and the excitement of the season opener has passed. D&W have a good SD to carry them through the season but I think it's vulnerable. Marina can tell us in a press conference that Meryl has been taking ballet and is a little ballerina now and that may work on some but the ballet theme just shines a spotlight on her posture issues that have been criticized for years. When Bobrova looks more fluid and relaxed then you do you know you have some work to do. For their sake I think they should take the marks for what they are and look at it with a critical eye which I am sure they will do. One judge may have gotten excited and awarded a ten but three judges gave you marks in the high 8´s. I think those judges saw what was skated last night. Given them such high GOE on the YP pattern which was clearly smaller then it should be at their level helps no one. But Grand Prix events alway inflate scores of the top ranked skaters to, imo, assure the right teams end up in the GPF. Then they all get long faces when their marks drop at Worlds and they feel it was their best skate to date. Just have to look at the world record Hanyu got to see how happy the judges are at SA :lol:

I thought W&P looked the most polished so far, that B&S the most improved and that D&W haven´t gotten a lot of mileage on their SD yet.

herios

Medalist
I was interested to see if W/P will work on the things which didn't go so well at Nepela and I am glad they did.
Firstly, they made an adjustment to the lift, which they got penalized for with a deduction.
Then they raised the levels, for the YP key points, gaining 2 points here, hitting 5 out of the maximum 6 (they had 3 in Bratislava).
And finally they got one level more in their midline step sequence as well, instead of 2.
They lost one level for the twizzles, but I can live with that.
So on the TES alone, they gained 3 points. That is why is smart to get out early to compete.