2012 Skate America Ice Dance SD | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Ice Dance SD

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
To be fair (and this is not a criticism), Meryl almost always looks like a Disney princess. It's not necessarily intentional, it's just the whole natural package. The voice, the angular bone structure and being paired with a partner who's hair and manner appear to mimic several Disney princes. They could easily get summer jobs in Orlando if they needed fallback employment. It really can't be helped IMO. :)

I know. And realistically, I think I enjoyed this dance as much as I expected too. As Mrs. P/doris mentioned - the polka steps were sensationally well done.

re: B/S - Rome wasn't built in a day. But they have definitely improved. Little minor quibbles here and there (the posture, particular in the opening, the twizzles, the lift, the anti-climactic end) is what dropped their score overall, imo, compared to W/P, who were very crisp.

Anyway, well skated polkas. golf clap.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
We haven't seen Virtue & Moir yet so how can anyone be assured that they will dominate the season? :scratch:

CAS

On the Ice
I get the impression pangtongfan says these things to deliberately anger the skate gods so that the opposite will happen ;)

Btw.. I don't think there is anything wrong with the costume Meryl wears. I actually find the visual impact of both their costumes a positive.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The gap isn't just in PCS, it's in GOE as well. D/W got +6.75 GOE to W/P's +4.16, even though D/W lost levels in the first portion of the YP. And this was W/P's second performance of the season to D/W's first. IMO W/P would have to improve their speed and precision in order to close the gap significantly. It's not as if D/W aren't working on improving as well.

V/M and D/W are way ahead of all the others. Nobody will compete with them until both have retired, almost certainly after the 2014 season.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Meryl's costume is perfectly fine as a generic Act 1 Giselle costume.. it's just not as flattering to her as it could be , so I hope for some improvement , since I always want all my favourites to look as good as possible.

slipslidin

On the Ice
The 'generic' Act 1 Gisele costume is actually a romantic length tutu. Ice dance requires a shorter skirt, so it is all a question of proportion. For a lady as tiny as Meryl, I would recommend less fullness with the over-skirt the same length as the underskirt, and with less color contrast.

KKonas

Medalist
Meryl's dress has a fullness that is very "polka-ish" . If you ever watch actual professional polkas - the dress is always somewhat short and very full. The dance itself requires a lightness and lift in each step, something that Davis & White do to perfection as to expression.

KKonas

Medalist
Yes it is true fans see what they want to see. I guess I see Davis and White being overmarked far too generously. In life, not every program is a clear cut winner. Sorry, I like D and W and know they probably will Oly and World gold but I just don't see how in the world or universe the judges can give them marks so far much ahead of the Candians and Russians. I expect if we are to be fair then V and M should be marked similarly in Canada. I just don't see why D and W should be marked that much better than Wever and Poje or even B and S. It is almost an insult. I hope the freeskate will be better judged. To think D and W even had a one point penalty - how in the world did the gap get bigger rather than get smaller? I think both B and S and W and P have made far greater strides than V and M or D and W yet the marks don't show it. D and W have this in the bag - wrapped up with a pretty bow and a bonus treat too lol.

You must look at their feet. Poje is the weaker skater of the two and is often on 2 feet, especially in their FD. Neither skater has particularly deep edges. B&S don't skate on 2 feet and have good edging. Davis & White have the better/deeper edges.

uncchristine99

Rinkside
I like D/W's polka very much! I like the little nods to the ballet, which are fun and cheeky. I loove the toe-pick hops in the middle--very clever! The costumes don't bother me--it seems consistent with other Giselle types I've seen. I just think they did a better job of selecting music--it carries them and the program so well. It keeps everything moving and when they stop to highlight sections of the music with a spectacular lift or bits of choreo, it just elevates the overall effect. On paper, I like their short dance the best this season.