2012 Skate America Ice Dance SD | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Ice Dance SD

kosjenka

On the Ice
I love the program from Davis and White. Love the difficulty. I don't mind the dress at all. I do think Meryl will probably be tweaking the hair throughout the year. The bun is great but the way it frames her face doesn't quite work for me.
It does make her head look a little weird.
The idea is right, but it needs fixing.

I am hoping for a better dress for her as well.

Art&Sport

Medalist
So excited for Meryl and Charlie. They are always so much fun to watch. B/S showed much improvement as Tanith noted, and W/P relate so well together and tell a story. For me Meryl and Charlie took it up a notch. High of the night for the SD! Very fitting that they skated last.

ITA dots!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, I'm maybe the online one, but I didn't like Meryl and Charlie a lot: they seemed a bit slower than how they usually are, and the whole program didn't excite me a lot... But, their twizzles are always perfect and their footwork is just superbe! Good program, not a masterpiece for me. (I know that it's early to say this etc. :laugh:)

emma

Record Breaker
Thank goodness I got back in time to watch W/P and D/W (missed the rest :( ). I really enjoyed both teams and programs. Can't wait to hear from all the experts and those watching it live.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Being with zhulin was definitely supposed to mean higher pcs for b/s and they are behind w/p there. Both pcs and Tes. So far a failure.

Macassar88

Medalist
I thought that Bobrova and Soloviev were a bit undermarked compared to Weaver and Poje. I felt like Davis and White were very much overmarked. I thought that they shouldn't have broken 70, but then again, it's their home event. Excited for the FD though.

icemusings

On the Ice
In terms of Meryl's bun it's a romantic style bun that the ballerinas did in the era that Giselle was first created. Unfortunately, it looks awkward on everyone and this was one of the least awkward versions I've seen. I do think they'll need to work on the skirt however as the petticoat kept throwing the overlay around.

Art&Sport

Medalist
So many experts here to give Meryl and Charlie advice on their choreo, costumes, hair styling, speed, and early season pacing. :laugh:

Keep on doing what you're doing Meryl and Charlie with the team you have!

Yep, it's not a masterpiece. Is that required every time out? Very funny to read all the nitpicking. Obviously if you don't love them, you never will. And if you do love them, why not simply enjoy.

Last edited:

kosjenka

On the Ice
Protocols are up.
Dawis&White got a deduction for extended lift. I knew it. something went wrong there during the rotation. I could see it on Charlies face.

gmyers

Record Breaker
D/w got a 10 in timing from a judge but the technical caller said they missed 2 out of 3 on a the YP- how can one not effect the other?!

kosjenka

On the Ice
the shade and amount of turquoise on Meryl's dress is what makes it meh for me and I have seen Giselle a few times. They never used such intense shade for her costume.
Maybe they went with this because it looks good on ice and the contrast it strong. I just personally dont like it.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Must say, I was very impressed with the last group. Excellent skating for so early in the season.

Bobrova/Soloviev floored me. I don't know what's happened to them since worlds, but the improvement was incredible. I have always found them to be very sloppy, but they skated with flow and confidence here, and really performed well. Also, for once, I can say that I loved their program and their costumes. This is wonderful for them, especially with Sochi around the corner.

I liked Weaver/Poje's program a lot better tonight than when I saw it two weeks ago. I liked it then, but I love it now. I'm officially sold. They had looked flat at Ondrej Nepela, but they seemed to come to life here, something that the crowd acknowledged too. I was also happy to see that their polka looked really strong. I noticed them starting to struggle a bit, as Tanith mentioned, in the twzzles and the footwork sequence, but I'm not worried. It's early in the season, and these two have a tendency to start a little slow and then really come into their own in the latter half of the season. Thrilled for them!:biggrin:

I really liked Davis/White's program. I thought it was super well choreographed, and that they looked really strong for so early in the year. I'm hoping that those balletic sections become a little more airy and elegant, especially from Meryl, but it's early days still. A big step up from their cringe-worthy Samba last year.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Not perfect, but boy were they wonderful. All the difficulty, the lightness, the different direction they went in with this program. Placing the key polka element at the end... very few ice dancers could manage that so successfully. They were fabulous, and yes, magical.

Re B/S improvement, one word: Zhulin.

Last edited:

kosjenka

On the Ice
I really liked Davis/White's program. I thought it was super well choreographed, and that they looked really strong for so early in the year. I'm hoping that those balletic sections become a little more airy and elegant, especially from Meryl, but it's early days still. A big step up from their cringe-worthy Samba last year.

I cringed secretly thinking about the comments about Dawis&White skating to a ballet, but this was really really good. I am glad they are going to new places regarding their skating and I feel they are relating to each other more in this program.

Bobroba and Soloviev improved so much that I barely recognized them. No more sloppy dancers from Russia.