Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Skate America Ice Dance SD

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    I hate Meryls dress.
    Not Gisele AT ALL!
    I googled images of Giselle costumes https://www.google.com/search?q=ball...iw=988&bih=659 Many of them are very much like Meryl's - with the exception of the skirt length, of course.

Custom Title
    In terms of Meryl's bun it's a romantic style bun that the ballerinas did in the era that Giselle was first created. Unfortunately, it looks awkward on everyone and this was one of the least awkward versions I've seen. I do think they'll need to work on the skirt however as the petticoat kept throwing the overlay around.

Custom Title
    So many experts here to give Meryl and Charlie advice on their choreo, costumes, hair styling, speed, and early season pacing.

Keep on doing what you're doing Meryl and Charlie with the team you have!

Yep, it's not a masterpiece. Is that required every time out? Very funny to read all the nitpicking. Obviously if you don't love them, you never will. And if you do love them, why not simply enjoy.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 10-20-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Custom Title
    Protocols are up.
    Dawis&White got a deduction for extended lift. I knew it. something went wrong there during the rotation. I could see it on Charlies face.

Custom Title
    D/w got a 10 in timing from a judge but the technical caller said they missed 2 out of 3 on a the YP- how can one not effect the other?!

Custom Title
    the shade and amount of turquoise on Meryl's dress is what makes it meh for me and I have seen Giselle a few times. They never used such intense shade for her costume.
    Maybe they went with this because it looks good on ice and the contrast it strong. I just personally dont like it.

Custom Title
    Must say, I was very impressed with the last group. Excellent skating for so early in the season.

Bobrova/Soloviev floored me. I don't know what's happened to them since worlds, but the improvement was incredible. I have always found them to be very sloppy, but they skated with flow and confidence here, and really performed well. Also, for once, I can say that I loved their program and their costumes. This is wonderful for them, especially with Sochi around the corner.

I liked Weaver/Poje's program a lot better tonight than when I saw it two weeks ago. I liked it then, but I love it now. I'm officially sold. They had looked flat at Ondrej Nepela, but they seemed to come to life here, something that the crowd acknowledged too. I was also happy to see that their polka looked really strong. I noticed them starting to struggle a bit, as Tanith mentioned, in the twzzles and the footwork sequence, but I'm not worried. It's early in the season, and these two have a tendency to start a little slow and then really come into their own in the latter half of the season. Thrilled for them!

I really liked Davis/White's program. I thought it was super well choreographed, and that they looked really strong for so early in the year. I'm hoping that those balletic sections become a little more airy and elegant, especially from Meryl, but it's early days still. A big step up from their cringe-worthy Samba last year.

Custom Title
    Not perfect, but boy were they wonderful. All the difficulty, the lightness, the different direction they went in with this program. Placing the key polka element at the end... very few ice dancers could manage that so successfully. They were fabulous, and yes, magical.

Re B/S improvement, one word: Zhulin.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 10-20-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    I really liked Davis/White's program. I thought it was super well choreographed, and that they looked really strong for so early in the year. I'm hoping that those balletic sections become a little more airy and elegant, especially from Meryl, but it's early days still. A big step up from their cringe-worthy Samba last year.
    I cringed secretly thinking about the comments about Dawis&White skating to a ballet, but this was really really good. I am glad they are going to new places regarding their skating and I feel they are relating to each other more in this program.

Bobroba and Soloviev improved so much that I barely recognized them. No more sloppy dancers from Russia.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I thought that Bobrova and Soloviev were a bit undermarked compared to Weaver and Poje. I felt like Davis and White were very much overmarked. I thought that they shouldn't have broken 70, but then again, it's their home event. Excited for the FD though.
    Of COURSE you didn't think they should have broken 70----You're a SCOTT MOIR fan.

'Nuf said.

Custom Title
    Loved Gisele! With the toesteps and having the YP pattern as the second to last element, Meryl/Charlie's legs would be burning and the two probably panting at the end.

All final 3 couples were pleasant to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    Meryl's dress is a near replica of Katia's Gisele costume from her singles program from the mid 90s. Both Choreographed by Marina.[/url]
    Maybe Meryl could borrow the dress from Katia. She needs to do away with the apron and Ruth Buzzi hairdo.

Custom Title
    But B/S are in the exact same place. Behind W/P!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    D/w got a 10 in timing from a judge but the technical caller said they missed 2 out of 3 on a the YP- how can one not effect the other?!
    Mainly because they judging panel and the technical panel are different judges. Also, the level of a pattern step sequence usually disregards timing in favor of clean foot placement, edgework, and holds. Timing is generally a quality for GOE instead.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Of COURSE you didn't think they should have broken 70----You're a SCOTT MOIR fan.

'Nuf said.
    I just wasn't as impressed with them as I was last season. I didn't notice as much of the breakneck speed this season, and I didn't feel like they made many improvements in their connection this dance. I think that they didn't perform up to their potential.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast