2012 Skate America Men's LP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Men's LP

herios

Medalist
For me, Hanyu as talented as he is, will not be the frontrunner of the japanese squad for Sochi, he will play a spiler role rather. My bets are still on Takahashi, more than anyone else.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to the podium finishers!!!

Taka was fabulous! He skated two great programs and I am very happy for him with this result. :bow:

Hanyu's FS was a mess. I hope he gets back on track.

Machida, liked his SP better than his LP, but very respectful outing for him and I thought he
should have been in second.

Jeremy had a rough time with his jumps, from his tweets seems like he may be injured.

This men's SA has been rather blah for me, Hanyu's amazing SP and Taka's SP &FS were the highlights for me.

Last edited:

Niki2012

Rinkside
I think Yuzuru`s score is way oversocred, especially PCS. It does not make sense that there are three judges who rewarded him with more than 8.5 for SS while his chsq was not even counted at all. He obviously slowed down and looked being dejected toward the end of the program. He should have got lower 70s in PCS. His score doesn`t do justice to Machida who got only less than 1 point higher PCS.:sarcasm:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Tweets from Jeremy Abbott ‏@jeremyabbottpcf late tonight:

Just talked with the physio. I have a compression in my spine that is apparently pushing on the nerves that connect to me legs... (Contd)
10:31 PM - 20 Oct 12

This is causing the muscle to cramp and not fire properly. Thank god because I'm in the best shape of my life and was worried why... (Contd)
10:33 PM - 20 Oct 12

My body felt like it was completely shutting down on me. Wish I had the means to have a trainer with me daily like Takahashi....
10:35 PM - 20 Oct 12

Since I don't its back to the drawing board!
10:35 PM - 20 Oct 12

On another note thank you all so much for your love and support of what I do. All of you keep me going and push my art to a higher level! <3
10:43 PM - 20 Oct 12​

A compression what? A compression fracture? He doesn't completely clarify. I haven't heard of something just called a compression.

glam

On the Ice
I think Yuzuru`s score is way oversocred, especially PCS. It does not make sense that there are three judges who rewarded him with more than 8.5 for SS while his chsq was not even counted at all. He obviously slowed down and looked being dejected toward the end of the program. He should have got lower 70s in PCS. His score doesn`t do justice to Machida who got only less than 1 point higher PCS.:sarcasm:

Yes, he was totally overscored. Yuzuru basically stopped her performance and interpretation and focused on surviving the elements. I love that some judge gave him 9 for his SS, although there was no flow but multiple falls and he couldn't even do the choreographic step sequence because he didn't have any stamina left.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Sad to see Jeremy so dejected in the K&C... but I could not stop thinking how gorgeous Yuka Sato looks.

She does :) She has really aged well and even looks better now than in 1994 when she won Worlds. Hopefully Jeremy can get his back fixed up because any spine-related problems can be unpredictable.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Looks like three-fall programs from top skaters are not uncommon.;)

Three falls can totally happen. The issue people have is when skaters win with 3 falls when others skate well. It Daisuke for example had at least won the free at GPF and Worlds I think a lot less people would have screamed about Chan's wins.. If Patrick was properly penalized with bad results for bad skates. Than it would be oww but he's so good hopefully he'll get it together. But instead he skates bad and its 9s in execution for you!:slink: At least Hanyu here didn't beat the bronze medalist in the free.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well if we are being fair here, Abbott was even more inflated than Chan. Look at his pcs to the others in the freeskate; Chan looks like a clean skate compared to those marks. Okay exaggerating a bit but trusting this isn't the home nation advantage Abbott was gifted and then some in the long for pcs. I think jeremy could win worlds and olympics but I in some ways I don't want him too. I would hate to see him "pull it together" at the right time and snatch the gold from someone who has also worked hard but been consistent for the most part. But skating and life isn't fair or just. But it could happen. You can tell he is so talented.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
It's the Yu-Na Kim gambit. Have Brian Orser as your coach, break a world record in the short, bomb the long, and still come out with a good score. It's a shame it only works in Skate America.

emma

Record Breaker
I didn't get to watch last night and haven't seen videos yet....but I am so happy to hear about Kazuka and Machida; so sad to hear about Hanyu and Abbot - especially Abbot as Hanyu, I feel, has youth on his side (although the asthma must make that tricky and difficult). I am an Abbot uber - so I really, really hope that this competition doesn't set him back with the work he has been doing with the sports psychologist, and I really hope that whatever his physical ailments/injuries, he is able to recuperate quickly.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Three falls can totally happen. The issue people have is when skaters win with 3 falls when others skate well. It Daisuke for example had at least won the free at GPF and Worlds I think a lot less people would have screamed about Chan's wins.. If Patrick was properly penalized with bad results for bad skates. Than it would be oww but he's so good hopefully he'll get it together. But instead he skates bad and its 9s in execution for you!:slink: At least Hanyu here didn't beat the bronze medalist in the free.

Please tell me when did Chan, or any skaters for that matter, win with a three fall program ever in any SP or LP in any amateur skating competitions?:rolleye:

Last edited:

missysays

On the Ice
I've been following Armin Mahbanoozadeh with some interest this year. He really does have a quality of movement and performance that's wonderful to see. I hope that he has better luck the rest of the year to really stay injury free and really go after his goals this year. Even though he missed the quad and the second triple axel in his long, he still managed to make most of his jumping passes and on a strained ankle- that's really good.

His style of movement reminds me of Paul Wylie- really stretched out lines with great dynamic energy. So much more mature in presentation than Ross Miner or Richard Dornbush. And with Jeremy's hit or miss track record and Evan's uncertain status I think the men's field is really open this year. I hope he makes a good showing at Nationals and makes it to more international competitions this year.

It's a shame that someone so talented hasn't had more opportunity on the international stage to really work out the kinks and gain more experience and exposure performing under pressure.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It's Jeremy's pride that's hurt. God, I just want to find somebody who can help him. John Nicks helped Ashley conquer the mental game. Can he help Jeremy? Isn't there someone who can help him? He's just too talented to continually falter like this in big moments.

I think that Abbott lacks the competitive spirit, urge to win and mental toughness. I also think that maybe his team is not stern enough with him, perhaps they make him feel too comfortable.

Medusa

Record Breaker
That is an exquisite program for Takahiko, I simply adore it. It is classy, nuanced and of course an excellent choice of music. Some parts of the program were already very well and effortlessly interpreted - it will probably be even better at the end of the season. I think Takahiko's quads will always be hit and miss, but I can live with that as long as he doesn't start imploding again as he did at the end of last season.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It's the Yu-Na Kim gambit. Have Brian Orser as your coach, break a world record in the short, bomb the long, and still come out with a good score. It's a shame it only works in Skate America.

:laugh: Wouldn´t it work better in Skate Canada or NHK???

lakeside

On the Ice
What a splatfest! After the amazing SP, now we got a splatfest LP.

Kozuka – another bland program with no expressions, but he deserved to win because he was the only one close to clean. Congratulations to him.

Yuzru – Just as I predicted, he bombed his LP. Actually this could be a great program with most difficult technical layout, intricate transitions, and a lot of angst. But if his stamina doesn’t improve then we’ll probably see him bombing this again at NHK. ;)

Machida – the most overscored skater at this competition. First of all the Firebird program does not suit him at all. I kept wishing the choreographer Lambiel would skate to this. It reminds me of Machida’s Don Quixote program last season – they are both good programs, but he should not be skating to them. His PCS should not be higher than 75 even if he were clean. Plus, he was not even clean! His TES was only 75, how did he receive 80 on PCS? What were the judges smoking? Machida did not have the best skating skills, he did not have difficult technical layout and transitions, his interpretation was awful, his TES was only 75, and he had a fall. Plus, he was the only man not trying quad in his SP. Very infated scores for him in the SP and LP. I understand if world medalists like Takahashi and Asada bomb they could still get 80/60 on PCS because of their reputation, but who’s this Machida? Why was he so gifted?

Jeremy – wish he’ll recover soon.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
missysays - I love your thoughts on Armin and totally agree!

Just watched Abbot on tv, and although my heart breaks for him, once again, I'm over the moon in love with his LP. Watch a beautiful program - I do hope he can skate it to its full potential this season!

and now they are showing Kazuka: another one of my favs for that amazing edge wuality and flow. sigh (with joy this time)

I just saw Jeremy Abbott's program. Marvelous. He should forget about scores and placements and just skate.

noskates

Record Breaker
I felt so bad for Jeremy. He hasn't always been my favorite but won me over at last year's US Nats. I have to agree with Sandra Bezic that his program is a "diamond in the rough!" If only he could get his head together. He said in the after skate interview that his body just gave out. You could tell something happened but that he wasn't hurt. The music, the choreography, his interpretation..........OMG. I was totally enthralled to the point that the falls barely registered until it was over. The look on his face said it all. I do hope he gets it together before his next competition.