2012 Skate America Men's LP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Men's LP

gmyers

Record Breaker
There were several reasons brezina left his former coaches but there was open disagreement about changing of jumps depending on the competition. Brezina didn't want to

Art&Sport

Medalist
And Jeremy who was only 8th in the FS, outscored both of them in PCS:)

Yes, plain as day that Jeremy could have won had he brung it, or at the least come in second had he recovered immediately and not had a melt down. If the jumps are not laid out wisely in his program, he has to fix that. Unbelievable that someone with his talent hasn't managed by this point to overcome the mental pressure.

Hanyu obviously needs more experience, and yes, Hanyu was over-scored in the sp, and over-scored in the fp too.

I do like Kozuka, so I'm happy for him. Machida has got a lot of talent. I am not partial to Menshov's skating; although he's very athletic, Menshov flails his arms too much, and he's not a polished skater. His PCS scores were OTT -- that's what I mean by politics playing a role.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Olympics is not like tomorrow. He has plenty of ime till then. The japanese field is deep and with Oda back, one of the big guys at the minimum will be left holding the bag. His first target sgould be making the national team again.

When does he start doing the quad sal then? Now's the perfect time because its not Japanese nationals or Worlds. He can test it out and get use to it. If its not more consistent by Grand Prix final he can take it out for Japanese nationals. That jump gives him a huge advantage over most of the field But if he doesn't start doing it now. When?

As for Oda, if I'm the Japanese fed; he's the one likely holding the bag. All of the other guys have done a much better job of putting it together delivering at least a world medal for Team Japan whereas Oda's unable to count. In fact I think Oda's biggest weakness has been NOT committing to a jump layout and playing it safe way to many times.

So Hanyu placed second at Skate America-the world and his shot at the Grand Prix final didn't end.

Now is the time for Hanyu to find out what he can and cannot do. Perhaps a quad sal in the program too is to much for him. Better to find this out this season then next season. Better to find out at the GP than later on.. If he realizes he can't do it how much easier will things be for him psychologically next year. Thats what Tarasova did with Kulik a year before the Olympics she gave him a program way too difficult for him, and then gave him an easier one the next year. And Kulik won the Olympics..

Now's the time for Hanyu to put the quad sal in.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
LOL at the idea one of Takahashi, Hanyu, or Kozuka will have to cede their spot on the World team for Oda. Oda is a has been, who frankly never achieved much of anything comparatively speaking to the others even in his prime. Even if Oda placed top 3 at Nationals I wouldnt be surprised if they still didnt send him to Worlds (and I doubt he will place top 3 at Nationals, even if Hanyu had a competition like here his SP would keep him above Oda overall I bet). Machida has a better chance of making the World team than Oda at this point, which is still virtually none. Those 3 are the team until after Sochi atleast.

bibi24

Final Flight
I watched a clip of Hanyu doing a 4S + 3A in exhibition, hopefully him and Orser will get better luck with it soon.

Thats what Tarasova did with Kulik a year before the Olympics she gave him a program way too difficult for him, and then gave him an easier one the next year. And Kulik won the Olympics...

Great call there!!

Becki

Medalist
When does he start doing the quad sal then? Now's the perfect time because its not Japanese nationals or Worlds. He can test it out and get use to it. If its not more consistent by Grand Prix final he can take it out for Japanese nationals. That jump gives him a huge advantage over most of the field But if he doesn't start doing it now. When?

As for Oda, if I'm the Japanese fed; he's the one likely holding the bag. All of the other guys have done a much better job of putting it together delivering at least a world medal for Team Japan whereas Oda's unable to count. In fact I think Oda's biggest weakness has been NOT committing to a jump layout and playing it safe way to many times.

So Hanyu placed second at Skate America-the world and his shot at the Grand Prix final didn't end.

Now is the time for Hanyu to find out what he can and cannot do. Perhaps a quad sal in the program too is to much for him. Better to find this out this season then next season. Better to find out at the GP than later on.. If he realizes he can't do it how much easier will things be for him psychologically next year. Thats what Tarasova did with Kulik a year before the Olympics she gave him a program way too difficult for him, and then gave him an easier one the next year. And Kulik won the Olympics..

Now's the time for Hanyu to put the quad sal in.

Does the JF only look at the current season, or the past two seasons? I am asking 'cause I heard that's what they do for the Olympic team selection, not sure if the same applies for World.

If so, it's going to be a battle between Takahiko and Oda for the last World spot. I think Takahashi and Hanyu, being the reigning world medalists, are going to be on the team. It would be silly not to invest in Hanyu, "the youth of elite men figure skating" as Kurt puts it.

monikawi

Rinkside
There were several reasons brezina left his former coaches but there was open disagreement about changing of jumps depending on the competition. Brezina didn't want to

I think Brezina under Petrenko improved in spins and steps. Needed it. Jumping ability. Who knows why now can not ... but hopefully it will return.

monikawi

Rinkside
Poor Hanyu! With 10 points lead from SP but still lost over all.

Hanyu is young ;) it is an experience. He still has time to learn to carry the leadership. On his skating is also the young age even know. He should mature into a man.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott has a compression in his spine, per his physio

Tweets from Jeremy Abbott ‏@jeremyabbottpcf late tonight:

Just talked with the physio. I have a compression in my spine that is apparently pushing on the nerves that connect to me legs... (Contd)
10:31 PM - 20 Oct 12

This is causing the muscle to cramp and not fire properly. Thank god because I'm in the best shape of my life and was worried why... (Contd)
10:33 PM - 20 Oct 12

My body felt like it was completely shutting down on me. Wish I had the means to have a trainer with me daily like Takahashi....
10:35 PM - 20 Oct 12

Since I don't its back to the drawing board!
10:35 PM - 20 Oct 12

On another note thank you all so much for your love and support of what I do. All of you keep me going and push my art to a higher level! <3
10:43 PM - 20 Oct 12​

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Takahiko Kozuka JPN - 251.44 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Yuzuru Hanyu JPN - 243.74 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Tatsuki Machida JPN - 229.95 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Konstantin Menshov RUS - 212.53 Free Skate
5. Jeremy Abbott USA - 211.35 Free Skate
6. Michal Brezina CZE - 209.67 Free Skate
7. Armin Mahbanoozadeh USA - 203.65
8. Tomas Verner CZE - 197.36
9. Douglas Razzano USA - 187.73
10. Alexander Majorov SWE - 182.42

Here are the Protocols

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
OMG! Congratulations Kozuka! Poor Hanyu! I can't believe...It was as if he couldn't breathe ..And I'm so angry because of Jeremy!!!He is areally good skater...To be honest, I don't know why he still competes. He should go to shows where he can present all colors of his skating. I always look forward to now he gonna be good, again and again, but he always messes up. He doesn't have an international results. I'm so sad because of him.

Puchi

On the Ice
Sad to see Jeremy so dejected in the K&C... but I could not stop thinking how gorgeous Yuka Sato looks.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
thank you for the get well wishes! I have asthma too, it can be managed with medication so that it is less bothersome, but I don't know if the ingredients in asthma meds would violate Olympic anti-doping rules.

This recent GS thread had a discussion re asthma meds and anti-doping rules:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?38065-Asthma-Medicine-amp-Skaters-Question

Per the ISU:
"Athletes, like anyone else, may have illnesses or conditions that require them to take particular medications. If the substances they are required to take for their treatment are on the WADA List of Prohibited Substances, they may ask for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) giving them authorization to take the medicine."
Lots more information here:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-193960-211183-nav-list,00.html

Mao88

Record Breaker
Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I'm honestly thinking that this program looks untrained in comparison to his SP.
As this program progressed, many details were omitted by Hanyu (At least in comparison to his practice and Nebelhorn FS)
1. After the half-way point, his movements begin to look very rushed (Ex. Preceeeding the Triple Axel-Triple Toe, that choreographic action seems very half-hearted)
2. He left out the steps going into his first Triple Lutz
3. He left out the arm movement after the Triple Loop and all transitions before the spin.
4. His arms begin to drop shortly after, as well as his speed evidently.
5. He nearly staggers over himself in the double-threes before the Flip (inevitably leading to his fall).
6. His mistakes translate into his dejected performance in his Choregraphic Step Sequence.
7. He nearly staggers over himself again in the final Combination Spin.
If Orser can't do his job with Yuzu right, then he should just say that. :biggrin:
As for the prog itself, luckily it's not some super sexy teen as his SP and EX, but it's not even near as good as R&J was. Yuzu is fragile, he doesn't have strong fixed postures, hands are like waving ropes always looking for their place, he is like a rag-doll. The music is just meh.
Partly his meltdown was judges' fault too who gifted him unfairly the day before. He simply couldn't bary the phycological pressure, plus body conditions and all the rest.
If so, it's going to be a battle between Takahiko and Oda for the last World spot. I think Takahashi and Hanyu, being the reigning world medalists, are going to be on the team. It would be silly not to invest in Hanyu
I don't think Oda will be a factor, Tatsuki or even Mura has more chances, but with the tough competitions at JN, you never know. I agree that it would be silly not to invest in Hanyu, so I think Team Japan in Sochi will be the same as in last World. As for JSF, they want what everyone else wants- OGM. So they will be working in both directions hoping to get lucky in at least one of them: 1. Dai-Morozov-Russia-Sochi, 2. Hanyu-Orser-Canada-Gore-ISU. Sounds reasonable to me. :cool: