Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Skate America Pairs LP

Custom Title
    I felt Pang/Tong got cheated on this one. They should have won.

Other than that, I'm a fan of James/Cipres and Castelli/Shnapir now.

Custom Title
    Bah! V/T leave me cold.

P/T should have won!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    NO idea how their score was that high. Just wow. I'll need to see the protocols.

They are anointed, regardless. I like V/T, but I don't like they will be held up if they make minor mistakes. I think they might be better if they tried harder to be themselves more on the ice. ITA, I don't like their sp, but it's not as bad as their sp from last season. Their fp seems to need more mileage -- doesn't seem like all the parts come together that well.

Pairs was not so interesting until later , though i really like Tatiana and Maxim i felt overall Pang and Tong had the better performance, and with that music it was just beautiful.

Custom Title
    Coughlin and Maxim seem to get along very well on the podium. Mock commiseration. I feel more sorry for P/T not winning here.

Max and Tatiana know they were over-scored. They are not happy. Neither are P/T.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 10-21-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    They are anointed, regardless. I like V/T, but I don't like they will be held up if they make minor mistakes. I think they might be better if they tried harder to be themselves more on the ice. ITA, I don't like their sp, but it's not as bad as their sp from last season. Their fp seems to need more mileage -- doesn't seem like all the parts come together that well.
    Or when they make major mistakes, as we saw this time.

Custom Title
    P/T didn't get anything for their death spiral, which was a four-five point loss.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I agree. There were some nice death spiral positions out there tonight. Volosozhar had a lovely position - wish the entrance was as pretty.
    i wish somebody would copy jenny meno's entrance into the death spiral... forward inside death spiral i think it was. i remember it from their 'be my love' exhibition program. COP makes it so difficult to celebrate the beauty of skating sometimes. just because something is difficult to do, doesn't mean you should always reward it. i can't help but think of igor moskvin's quote in an article--what if during the twist the lady picks her nose--it is difficult, yes? i mean, i can't find the exact article now, but it so hilariously sums up what i hate about COP.

i mean, i can't ever see a layback spin that doesn't end in a haircutter or bielmann anymore. that's why i was so thrilled to see kozuka's scratch spin at just the right choreographic moment in his LP. thank goodness it didn't cost him a level and a win...

ETA i'm not saying COP has zero merit. well, since i'm now a fan of a skater who's finished 16th after the SP at nationals. under 6.0 it would be game over, man...
    Last edited by skfan; 10-21-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    P/T didn't get anything for their death spiral, which was a four-five point loss.
    Actually I am kind of glad- it means they won't keep doing it that way.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    i wish somebody would copy jenny meno's entrance into the death spiral... forward inside death spiral i think it was. i remember it from their 'be my love' exhibition program. COP makes it so difficult to celebrate the beauty of skating sometimes. just because something is difficult to do, doesn't mean you should always reward it. i can't help but think of igor moskvin's quote in an article--what if during the twist the lady picks her nose--it is difficult, yes? i mean, i can't find the exact article now, but it so hilariously sums up what i hate about COP.

i mean, i can't ever see a layback spin that doesn't end in a haircutter or bielmann anymore. that's why i was so thrilled to see kozuka's scratch spin at just the right choreographic moment in his LP. thank goodness it didn't cost him a level and a win...

ETA i'm not saying COP has zero merit. well, since i'm now a fan of a skater who's finished 16th after the SP at nationals. under 6.0 it would be game over, man...
    I agree with you about Jenny Meno. I once got a chance to ask Mr. Nicks about death spirals. I wondered if Jenny had some fabulous natural talent. Mr. Nicks said that gorgeous entrance wasn't that hard to teach. You just had to want to do it right.

Custom Title
    really PT's both programs,,,,

and have to admire Russia Skating Federation,,,, no clean throws, 1 lift always failed can still get 1st place...well done!

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I agree with you about Jenny Meno. I once got a chance to ask Mr. Nicks about death spirals. I wondered if Jenny had some fabulous natural talent. Mr. Nicks said that gorgeous entrance wasn't that hard to teach. You just had to want to do it right.

thank you for that insight from Mr. Nicks. i *loved* jenny's death spiral entrance *and* position better than even the great russian pairs such as G&G... though of course G&G had nice death spirals and didn't skate in an era that rewarded difficulty in the same way.

jenny's death spirals are gorgeous, but i think underhill and martini had the nicest forward inside death spirals and the nicest backward outside (?) death spirals. i re-watch unchained melody for the death spirals more than the sensuality these days... ^___^ the wirtzes from canada had nice death spirals too... *feels old*

Banned
    I am a P/T fan obviously but I cant objectively say they should have won. V/T didnt skate poorly, and technically they are alot stronger at this point, and while I much prefer the emotion and chemistry of P/T's program tonight, V/T are a more polished team with better unision, and also better basic skating.

Custom Title
    V/T made mistakes,yes, but they still were the class of the field. It's like as they are V/M or D/W of pairs skating - even if they make mistakes or fall, they are not too low.

Banned
    Tanya/Max had a better LP in Nebelhorn but hopefully they will be in their A game in Cup of Russia, I read an interview that Maxim said going to Skate America will not be easy because they wanted a later Grand Prix event to prepare/polish their programs and because of the time difference

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast