2012 Skate America Pairs LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America Pairs LP

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I wish Denney would have someone design a dress for her that fits - instead of gaps all over the back. I bet their lifts would look better if her costume fit so you could see her actual position.

I also wish Pang could improve her star lift position.

I sound grouchy, don't I. It's getting to be my bedtime.

skfan

Final Flight
the ugly DS has to go. it ruins a beautiful moment because the transition before it was just GORGEOUS in P/T's program. i even liked the musical cuts.

beautiful death spiral in V/T program. i'm glad the mustache from yesterday didn't re-appear. i like their LP better than their SP.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Would be nice to see Pang/Tong win this. V/T off their game a bit here.

But of course, it doesn't matter -- V/T win by a comfortable margin.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I like V/T's free much better than the short. A really rough skate from them. Below their usual level. I really enjoyed their last lift. I've never seen one exactly like it. Gorgeous death spiral...

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
There's just something about V/T that turns me off. I like the music and their costumes and I appreciate their difficulty, but I hope Pang/Tong have this.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Disgusting overscore for V/T, P/T wuzrobbed (at least in the LP).

How can a team as talented as V/T not be more enjoyable to watch? Seriously, they could have been skating to anything, considering how little attention they paid to the music. I don't care how difficult it was, that lift was ugly - and their lack of sync on the side by side spins was worse than ion a typical S/S program!

Hideous costume for Trankov.

Also, I know this is meant as some kind of tribute to the people of Japan, but it looks about as much as a tribute as Florent Amodio skating to music with lyrics at 2011 Worlds.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
the ugly DS has to go. it ruins a beautiful moment because the transition before it was just GORGEOUS in P/T's program. i even liked the musical cuts.
I agree. There were some nice death spiral positions out there tonight. Volosozhar had a lovely position - wish the entrance was as pretty.

tulosai

Record Breaker
NO idea how their score was that high. Just wow. I'll need to see the protocols.

icellist

On the Ice
I felt Pang/Tong got cheated on this one. They should have won.

Other than that, I'm a fan of James/Cipres and Castelli/Shnapir now.

Art&Sport

Medalist
NO idea how their score was that high. Just wow. I'll need to see the protocols.

They are anointed, regardless. I like V/T, but I don't like they will be held up if they make minor mistakes. I think they might be better if they tried harder to be themselves more on the ice. ITA, I don't like their sp, but it's not as bad as their sp from last season. Their fp seems to need more mileage -- doesn't seem like all the parts come together that well.

figuristka

Medalist
Pairs was not so interesting until later , though i really like Tatiana and Maxim i felt overall Pang and Tong had the better performance, and with that music it was just beautiful.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Coughlin and Maxim seem to get along very well on the podium. Mock commiseration. :laugh: I feel more sorry for P/T not winning here.

Max and Tatiana know they were over-scored. They are not happy. Neither are P/T.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
They are anointed, regardless. I like V/T, but I don't like they will be held up if they make minor mistakes. I think they might be better if they tried harder to be themselves more on the ice. ITA, I don't like their sp, but it's not as bad as their sp from last season. Their fp seems to need more mileage -- doesn't seem like all the parts come together that well.
Or when they make major mistakes, as we saw this time.

skfan

Final Flight
I agree. There were some nice death spiral positions out there tonight. Volosozhar had a lovely position - wish the entrance was as pretty.

i wish somebody would copy jenny meno's entrance into the death spiral... forward inside death spiral i think it was. i remember it from their 'be my love' exhibition program. COP makes it so difficult to celebrate the beauty of skating sometimes. just because something is difficult to do, doesn't mean you should always reward it. i can't help but think of igor moskvin's quote in an article--what if during the twist the lady picks her nose--it is difficult, yes? i mean, i can't find the exact article now, but it so hilariously sums up what i hate about COP.

i mean, i can't ever see a layback spin that doesn't end in a haircutter or bielmann anymore. that's why i was so thrilled to see kozuka's scratch spin at just the right choreographic moment in his LP. thank goodness it didn't cost him a level and a win...

ETA i'm not saying COP has zero merit. well, since i'm now a fan of a skater who's finished 16th after the SP at nationals. under 6.0 it would be game over, man...

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
i wish somebody would copy jenny meno's entrance into the death spiral... forward inside death spiral i think it was. i remember it from their 'be my love' exhibition program. COP makes it so difficult to celebrate the beauty of skating sometimes. just because something is difficult to do, doesn't mean you should always reward it. i can't help but think of igor moskvin's quote in an article--what if during the twist the lady picks her nose--it is difficult, yes? i mean, i can't find the exact article now, but it so hilariously sums up what i hate about COP.

i mean, i can't ever see a layback spin that doesn't end in a haircutter or bielmann anymore. that's why i was so thrilled to see kozuka's scratch spin at just the right choreographic moment in his LP. thank goodness it didn't cost him a level and a win...

ETA i'm not saying COP has zero merit. well, since i'm now a fan of a skater who's finished 16th after the SP at nationals. under 6.0 it would be game over, man...

I agree with you about Jenny Meno. I once got a chance to ask Mr. Nicks about death spirals. I wondered if Jenny had some fabulous natural talent. Mr. Nicks said that gorgeous entrance wasn't that hard to teach. You just had to want to do it right.