Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Skate America Ice Dance FD

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Oh , schmaltz ! ... sorry ... I could do without the "second ending" for D/W . I've always disliked the highly choreographed entrances some pair and dance teams indulge in ( see Denney and Coughlin here , e.g. ) and I didn't think Zueva would resort to such an obvious hard sell on the supposed "new connection" . I'm thoroughly disappointed with this aspect of D/W's program. I agree with the open mouth business ... just too much of it .

Dang it ! There was nothing wrong with the way M & C carried off an emotional or romantic program to begin with ( see S&D ) .. I really never felt they were not connected in their skating .. and let's be frank ,it's time to stop using "connection" as a euphemism for romantic involvement. It's so artificial, it makes me sad.

Overall , though there are some choreographic elements in this program that I like very much , it doesn't move me like S&D did or sweep me up like DF.

This has me more nervous about the prospects for V/M's Carmen than the fact that C/L are doing Carmen too.

Custom Title
    For the past several years, with the exception of their tango program, I have loved Davis and White's programs, right off the hop. This year, neither of their programs have that wow factor for me. Their Gisele is a cute, cheerful program, and once they get the YP sorted, it'll be fine. People should lighten up about it. It is not ballet, but a short dance to ballet music, with a sly little wink regarding costumes. Their free dance just seems a bit stale, the drama doesn't grab me, and the much-touted 'connection' seems more of a publicity trick than a stylistic improvement. It is seen most when the couple are not dancing.

I am underwhelmed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    For the past several years, with the exception of their tango program, I have loved Davis and White's programs, right off the hop. This year, neither of their programs have that wow factor for me. Their Gisele is a cute, cheerful program, and once they get the YP sorted, it'll be fine. People should lighten up about it. It is not ballet, but a short dance to ballet music, with a sly little wink regarding costumes. Their free dance just seems a bit stale, the drama doesn't grab me, and the much-touted 'connection' seems more of a publicity trick than a stylistic improvement. It is seen most when the couple are not dancing.

I am underwhelmed.
    i agree with what you've said about D/W. I think i FINALLY fell in love with their tango at 4CCs that year...but everything else has been instantaneous.
    As for this season. I LOVE their SD. HUGE ballet fan here, and I think they capture Act I of Giselle PERFECTLY...everyone always thinks of Act II - the romantic ballet, but they always forget the cheery lightness of a a peasant village. those costumes are GORGEOUS...now for their FD this season, I dont' know what to think. I want to like it REALLY badly, but it's just not there. I'm not sure if it will come with time or not. Also, I think the music cut isn't the best for their style. I think the music is lovely, but it doesn't work for D/W. The lifts were definitely WOW, but the rest of the program needs to come up to that level. It will be interesting to see how much of a "work in progress" the program is

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    W/P's problem is that they face both Bobrova/Soloviev and Pechalat/Bourzat at Cup of China. If they finish 3rd again, bye bye GPF.
    if they lose to a team of the caliber of B/S twice in a row they are obviously skating poorly and dont deserve to be in the Grand Prix final anyway. That is actually a great assignment, and definitely one they can aspire to win if they are skating well. Everyone would love an assignment with no V/M or D/W.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    if they lose to a team of the caliber of B/S twice in a row they are obviously skating poorly and dont deserve to be in the Grand Prix final anyway. That is actually a great assignment, and definitely one they can aspire to win if they are skating well. Everyone would love an assignment with no V/M or D/W.
    If Bobrova and Soloviev keep improving at this rate, I wouldn't be completely surprised to see them and Weaver and Poje beat Pechalat and Bourzat who will be at their first GP of the season. Cup of China, IMO, is a toss up on who will win. Obviously Pechalat and Bourzat are amazing, but Bobrova and Soloviev always get great scores at CoC. And Weaver and Poje may bring it extra hard to show that SA was a fluke.

I came home to the last half of D/W's FD... I'm not impressed, it didn't feel as cohesive as last year's FD at skate america... I haven't seen the SD, but I'm worried that the clean/crispness of the Canton teams came from Igor while the program themes came from Marina... It'll be interesting to see how V/M look...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    If Bobrova and Soloviev keep improving at this rate, I wouldn't be completely surprised to see them and Weaver and Poje beat Pechalat and Bourzat who will be at their first GP of the season. Cup of China, IMO, is a toss up on who will win. Obviously Pechalat and Bourzat are amazing, but Bobrova and Soloviev always get great scores at CoC. And Weaver and Poje may bring it extra hard to show that SA was a fluke.
    Well yes I also wouldnt be surprised to even see both W/P and B/S beat P/B at Cup of China. P/B got their career achievement medal at Worlds last year and are going down from here IMO. My point is if Weaver & Poje skate well, which they clearly didnt in the FD here, they have a great shot to win Cup of China, and if they skate poorly again and come 3rd, they dont deserve the GP final anyway.

Custom Title
    W/p lost so much TES I doubt that will happen again. P/B have very good pcs hat has kept them notches above w/p and b/s for two seasons now. They will be at the first gp event and that could be bad for YP levels but that could be saved by the FD-they are a tier above the rest. B/s shows good tech so far. P/b have better coaches though.

Custom Title
    FREE DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 176.28 Free Dance
    2. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 159.95 Free Dance
    3. Kaitlyn WEAVER & Andrew POJE (CAN) - 157.32 Free Dance
    4. Lynn KRIENGKRAIRUT & Logan GIULIETTI-SCHMITT (USA) - 141.41 Free Dance
    5. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA & Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 132.57 Free Dance
    6. Lorenza ALESSANDRINI & Simone VATURI (ITA) - 125.74 Free Dance
    7. Anastasia CANNUSCIO & Colin MCMANUS (USA) - 122.37 Free Dance
    Last edited by Mao88; 10-21-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Custom Title
    I loved Davis and White's free dance. It can only get better. The simple costumes, the beautiful lifts, the choreography, the stunning music........... I personally think Charlie White is the best male dancer EVER!!!! I don't even find my eyes wandering to Meryl. Usually in pairs and dance you look at the woman. The only time I see her is in the lifts. I think by the time US Nats comes about and then Worlds this is going to be an iconic program for them.

Custom Title
    D/W were great. Maybe now people will get off their back about using "overused music." I have never heard this piece before. They looked commanding, elegant, and international.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I came home to the last half of D/W's FD... I'm not impressed, it didn't feel as cohesive as last year's FD at skate america... .
    I agree. To me, they didn't have their usual speed and their unison was not as automatic as we are used to from them. Early yet, though.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I agree. To me, they didn't have their usual speed and their unison was not as automatic as we are used to from them. Early yet, though.
    Reminds me of something Tracy Wilson said once. That people underestimate the difficulty in what V&M do because they make it look easy. She said she knew from experience how difficult it was to add all the extra touches, nuances while skating technically demanding programs. D&W usually come out stronger than they did here and maybe now others might understand that it takes a lot of skill to be able to do both.

Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Oh , schmaltz ! ... sorry ... I could do without the "second ending" for D/W . I've always disliked the highly choreographed entrances some pair and dance teams indulge in ( see Denney and Coughlin here , e.g. ) and I didn't think Zueva would resort to such an obvious hard sell on the supposed "new connection" . I'm thoroughly disappointed with this aspect of D/W's program.
    I agree. The program was over, the judges were bent over their score sheets. Were we supposed to believe that Charlie and Meryl were so overcome with the intensity of their feelings that they couldn't keep their hands off each other?
    Last edited by Mathman; 10-21-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Custom Title
    I was kind of surprised to see Charlie have an edge slip on a twizzzle of all things; just after that sequence it looked to me as if he nearly or perhaps did kind of hit Meryl in the face; then a few more bobbles. My conclusion: they have spoiled me because these are not the kinds of errors I expect from them. As a result, I'm not sure how I feel about the program - the music or choreo. I think I feel way more positive about their SD...but await the more knowledgeable to give me guidance, adn the skaters themselves who will undoubtedly improve with each outing.

I'm a bit perplexed by W/P - and am so taken in by them since last season that, well, I want hope that they can rock this!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast